Mixing Ram - probably a bad idea, have to ask :)

Associate
Hi,

I bought some 'Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black' a few years ago which has been languishing at 3200 in my current system (see sig). I plan to upgrade - probably replacing nearly everything, and thought I would move the ram over so I can actually use it properly (3600) - given its 16gb, and probably sufficient I probably don't need to ask this question, but I have thought about increasing to 32gb (but the same 16gb is priced the same as a the 32gb offer..).

So...

Could I plug in some other similar 3600 ram, or do something else?

Suggestions very welcome, particularly if on topic :D:p

Man of Honour
You could add another 16gb 3600mhz all memory will default to the higher timmings between the 2 sets.

Could just buy 2x 16gb of whichever and sell your old kit.

Or get 32gb of the teamgroup 8 pck and run 48gb :D

Associate
OP
@mickyflinn Thanks! that's really helpful :) looks like I have some good options available if I decide to go the 32gb route - I see a couple of sets of 16gb 3600 with relatively similar timings below £100.

Associate
Just my 5p. on the subject. If you do not feel the need for 32GB of memory why not invest the money in better processor? I think that may be more noticeable.

Associate
That would be sensible, but I think I might just be building a whole new PC :D ..of course, then I need to find something to do with the old one...
Well in this case you may as well wait for the prices to come down with the expected new releases although with current shortages one can never be sure whether prices will go down or up. I'm facing a similar dilemma myself at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom