Mk1 Focus...2l worth it over a 1.6l?

Soldato
1 second quicker to 60 IIRC.

/heads to Parkers.

edit: Parkers agrees, and the 2.0 has a top speed of 125mph over the 1.6's 115mph.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
1.6 seconds apparently, although I know for a fact that it doesn't take 10.6 seconds to hit 60 in a 1.6.

My main problem at the moment is my 1.6 feels dog slow with aircon on or more than 1 passenger, I'm hoping a switch to 2l would cure that.

Associate
I've heard quite the opposite. That the 2.0 is quite a lot less economical, yet doesn't deliver that much more performance... Personally I've only ever driven a 1.6 (slow) and a 1.8 90bhp diesel (also slow).

Air con does sap a lot of power though. I remember a long motorway journey in my 1st car, a 1.25 fiesta, on a really hot day, 3 up and rammed full of luggage. It was evident that we could either do 85 and cook, or 70 with the aircon on. It was that afternoon I vowed to buy myself a more powerful car!

Soldato
I've heard quite the opposite. That the 2.0 is quite a lot less economical, yet doesn't deliver that much more performance... Personally I've only ever driven a 1.6 (slow) and a 1.8 90bhp diesel (also slow).

Air con does sap a lot of power though. I remember a long motorway journey in my 1st car, a 1.25 fiesta, on a really hot day, 3 up and rammed full of luggage. It was evident that we could either do 85 and cook, or 70 with the aircon on. It was that afternoon I vowed to buy myself a more powerful car!

Your one must have been broken then.

Soldato
I didn't really find the 2.0 that quick, a bit better on motorways but didn't feel much nippier than the 1.6.

If you want one that feels quicker and copes better with being heavily loaded, have a look at the TDCi - if you want one that is quite a bit quicker, look at the ST170

Associate
Not broken, just took a lot of power off an engine that didn't have much to begin with. Plus I'd imagine the car was approaching max. weight. Ahh the memories!

Associate
My olde 1.6 auto LX used to do mid 20s mpg at best in town, auto box sapped a lot of juice i reckon, never got over 280 miles to a tank. However even with that box i'm sure it never took 11sec to 60 either.

That is awful, i could get around 400 from a tank in my 1.6 focus. To OP though i wouldn't bother upgrading to another focus even the ST170 isn't amazing and what the 2.0 makes up in performance you would lose in economy.

Soldato
My missus had to sell her 2.0 Focus because it just used far too much petrol, would never ever be above 30 mpg even on the motorway.

Soldato
I owned a mk1 Focus 2.0L Ghia for 3 years.

MPG is low for the type of car, I tended to thrash it everywhere and did lots of short journeys and averaged 30mpg, I would average 34mpg on a long run on the motorway.

It certainly has a noticable performance gain over the 1.6, and the 0-60 is not a fair comparison as the 1.6 can do 60 in second whereas the 2.0l can not (different gear ratio).

I never really noticed the air-con kicking in on the 2.0L, however this is certainky noticable on other cars I have driven.

I loved my Focus and have very few complaints about it (other than the cup holders), however if I had the same sort of cash again I would be buying a Mondeo, purely because it's a better buy for the money and isn't that much bigger to drive.

Back
Top Bottom