Mk3 mondeo issues

Soldato
Quick background 2.0 TDCI purchased at 100k and done 80k in 4/5 years since I purchased its had, new injectors,turbo,dmf and clutch and a few other cheaper bits.

Recently within the last few weeks its cutting out without warning it will either start straight back up or take anything from 10 seconds to 20 minutes to get going again. Its had a leak of test done and injectors are good, fuel filter been changed. Been on ford diagnostics which shows nothing wrong at all prior to the cut(basically drove around until it cut out)

At a complete loss now, 3 garages have said they wouldn't know where to start and I've already done/had done the tests they would do.

I'm hoping with it being a 15 year old car and being many members on here someone might have encountered a similar issue which could possibly give me a starting point to look at myself.

Bit of a crapper as its the daily driver for work. Not really keen on putting 400/500 down for a run around to potentially be in the same position again(my track history with cheap motors isn't good)

Long post i know thanks in advance

Soldato
Nope no shavings in the fuel filter, pressure is good and all electronics came back fine. Its also a £1200 part on mine so I'm glad its ok.

You can have a failing pump but no signs of it. Not saying it's that tho. But sounds like it or could be a air leak

Usually 2 pumps. Don't think either would be that sort of money. Not even half that. The one in the tank will be cheap as chips

Soldato
OP
You can have a failing pump but no signs of it. Not saying it's that tho. But sounds like it or could be a air leak

Usually 2 pumps. Don't think either would be that sort of money. Not even half that. The one in the tank will be cheap as chips

Seriously they aren't cheap new and reccomended not to ever find second hand one due to the large fitting cost of them. Need to take of timing chain and sprockets and all sorts apparently.

Soldato
Seriously they aren't cheap new and reccomended not to ever find second hand one due to the large fitting cost of them. Need to take of timing chain and sprockets and all sorts apparently.

Sure no more than £600 with all the other work at the same time? I'm no expert tho. Just had a few bangers over the years hahaha

Maybe confusing with a water pump? As above. No expert

Just had a quick Google. Seems the same as a focus. I had a bottom pump problem but the local garages said it might be the top pump under the back seats.

You can cut a hole which seem to be the easy and poor way to do it. Weakens the car too...

Or drop everything at the back end to get to it.

Last edited:
Associate
do you get any warning lights on the dash ie flashing glow plug light?

we had a 2004 54 plate that cut out ended up being air getting into the diesel line at the pump.

strange but our 2009 2.0 tdci had similar problem had to replace the main fuel line due to a dodgy inline connector, then changed the fuel filter which on mine is in a plastic housing just in front of back axle and found the housing had a slight crack so had to replace that. (back order from ford but got a good one from ebay.

also thinking about it but probably not with yours as you say no codes i had to replace the ecu harness which is prone to damage as it passes under the rad and one of the power wires breaks inside the insulation, pitta job as ecu on 2007 on is behind the washer bottle under the passenger headlight . that was causing random cutting out and sometimes would restart straight away other times could go anything up to week none start.

found it in the end by having the car cranked whilst i pulled the harness hey presto starting again. i repaired the first harness but noticed that a lot of the wires were showing cracks due to stress and poor quality. in the end ...you guessed it found a harness from a rear end smash and rerouted to avoid stress.

Soldato
With these old MK3 TDCi,s don't stick supermarket fuel in them, you don't have to go v-power or anything like that just standard 95 BP or Shell etc.

The injectors, EGR, Turbo etc will thank you for it.

Also, a £13 bluetooth code reader & a free copy of Forscan is the best tool you can own, it'll tell you things a £1k+ snap on tool can't.

Soldato
I have a 2013 Mondeo and had similar issues last year, could drive about for miles no problem, then I could drive 2mins down the road and it would cut out. Sometimes it would start up straight away, others took ages.

Have you checked the fuse box? I found that it kept blowing a fuse in the main fuse compartment which if I remember correctly controlled multiple components. I had to keep spare fuses for a while and just replace them each time.

Turns out it was a damaged cable within the body work which would short out when coming into contact with any metal work randomly.

A very cheap fix in the end, but only if you find it quickly I suppose and if that is indeed the issue. At first I was quoted all sorts to basically replace everything.

Associate
Had a few of these with a wiring problem in the main loom that runs over the gearbox, reach down with the engine running and give it a good tug around and see if it affects the engine running.

Back
Top Bottom