Mk4 Mondeo - Buying Advice

Associate
Hi all,

Had a bit of a false start asking this question the other day (I'm overseas) but thankfully ironed that out with the mods and hoping you can assist.

I'm looking to buy a Mk4 Mondeo. Budget is in the region of £5k, could go a bit higher and obviously can go a bit lower. I've done plenty of searches on the forum and the chat seems to be to favour the 2.0 TDCi Titanium models (titanium at least, being the best trim) and 2.0 being at least as good as the 2.2 diesel with better efficiency. I'd be happy to buy petrol but they are rare.

My mileage will be largely inner city and quite modest (probably 7-8k) a year but I like to cycle so the big boot to lob a bike in the back is attracting me also. I'm not dead set on a Mondeo, but they have a reputation for value for money.

This sees some options (in Scotland, where I will be) in the region of £3k 2010 with 105k miles to £5.75k 2012 with 71k miles. I understand there are timing belts that should have been done (but not sure when?) and also the clutch and DMF can go, but that's all I've got from a little youtube/forum browsing. I posted links to the cars available on my first post but to be fair to the mods they weren't keen on that as a red flag of spam from an overseas poster.

TL;DR
Is there a better alternative to a Mk4 Mondeo in this class in the £3-6k price range?
Is there any major red flags even a non-mechanically minded person should be looking for or service work that should absolutely have been done?
Any good buyers guides?

Soldato
At that mileage personally i really would try to avoid the Diesel (any diesel, not just the Mondeo), if they have DPF's it might cause you issues.

Also personally i'd be looking for a Titanium X or Titanium X Sport, this might mean travelling of course but if you intend to keep it for any length of time it's worth it in my opinion.

The father in law has an 11 Plate Titanium and to be honest it feels a bit sparse in terms of equipment even at the side of my much older 53 plate MK3.

Man of Honour
Titanium X
Bluetooth module - there are 2 versions, one with a usb connector and one with 3.5mm in the glovebox, get the one with USB. That has audio over bluetooth, the other just does phone calls. Although this is just a module behind the glovebox and reasonable simple to replace with the updated one.
Timing belts are 10 years or 75k iirc.

Don't know what the diesels are like, but I've been using my neighbours 2009 Titanium X 2l petrol estate for a few days to move some things about, and it's perfectly fine. Nothing particularly horrible about it. I don't know if 18" wheels are standard on the TitaniumX, but it makes the ride a little harsh.
Although their aircon doesn't work and has a black interior, so it's not been pleasant recently. ;)

Soldato
Just bought 2 estates this week. One 64 plate ex met police zetec spec 80k miles on a 64 plate

One 60 plafe with minor accident damage sill and door in Tit x spec

Both 2l tdci diesels

2500 for the ex police 600 for the Tit X

They've dropped. In value dramatically so don't pay over the odds see my mk4 taxi threads they are bulletproof cars but get a titanium or titanium X as they are well speced and won't be much. Ore than the equivalent zetec or edge

Associate
OP
Hi

Thanks for replies

Re the DPF - there are barely any cars in the country of that price/age that aren’t diesel or equivalent mileage?

233 - where are you finding cars at such low prices, completely out of keeping with what I can see (in the same locality as you)?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom