1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB coming to London!

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Freakbro, May 8, 2018.

1. Freakbro

Capodecina

It has just been confirmed that MLB are to host two regular season games at London Stadium on the 29th & 30th June 2019, and it's the New York Yankees and The Boston Red Sox! :cool:

Not sure how much support there is on here for baseball, but I'll definitely be going.

I haven't kept up with it for years, but have always loved baseball since playing for the Boston Red Sox in my teens....(in the East Midlands League :p)

2. Doctor McNinja

Hitman

I used to watch it all the time back when it was on Channel 5... JG (the Gould Fish) and JC, Mike Carlson, Erik the producer. I started watching because I had trouble sleeping and Baseball was boring and was sure to put me to sleep, or so I thought. Then I carried on watching, mainly due to the chemistry of the presenters, and then it was for the games themselves.

I still vividly remember hearing one of my letters on unbreakable records being read out live on air. If only I still had the recording!

Then after the economy went down the toilet and Channel 5 didn't renew their coverage for 2009, I kind of drifted and lost interest due to the difficulty of following the sport and the lack of the MLB on Five team of presenters...

Sorry to go off on a tangent their. It's good news to hear that MLB is coming to the UK. I just hope it gets some traction and makes the sport more popular in the UK.

3. neviditelny

Hitman

I'm tempted to go for at least one of the matches, not because I actually follow baseball, but more for the sake of why not? Let's give it a go :)

4. molinari

Soldato

Good news, I'd be interested in watching a game or two here.
    I'm off to Seattle in the summer and desperate to see the Mariners play :), although the wife is far from keen :(.

5. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Yup I'd be interested in going, I've followed Baseball off-and-on since the late 80's, and I went to see the off-season exhibition game between the Mets and the White Sox (I think) which took place at the Oval. I don't remember it being that great but my mate nicked a mascot's towel.

6. McBain

Capodecina

Interested in this! Watched the Yankees in the Yankee stadium about 15 years ago and loved it.

7. Freakbro

Capodecina

8. Yas786

Caporegime

Registered for my tickets, miss watching baseball when growing up. Although whenever I’m in Toronto I’ll go watch a few Blue Jay games.

But yankee’s and Red Sox should be a belter of a game. They usually are.

9. byeo

Wise Guy

I've registered interest but it depends on the cost. I saw the Yankess vs Red Sox back in 16' at Yankee Stadium. I've got bored with the NFL in London so this might spice things up for me.

10. rubberduck

Mobster

Still miss Channel five coverage.

11. AETAaAS

Gangster

That's interesting. I wonder how big a following MLB has in the UK.

12. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

Went to see Miami play a few year back and it was fun. Don't follow the sport at all but for a one off I'd be up for this.

But yeh cost is important.around £50 a ticket would be OK I guess.

13. Grimley

Soldato

So do I. I went to an MLB game on the 4th July many years ago (Orioles @ White Sox) I had a great time. I don't go to many live events these days so I'd go if I can. Realistically I don't think I'll get tickets, I can see these going on sale when I'm at work & there's a fair few ex-pat New Yorkers & Bostonians that work here who would jump at the chance, plus the fans who would make a holiday of it from the states. Tickets would sell out in minutes. Shame really as I'm a half hour train trip from the venue.

14. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Tickets going on sale at the beginning of December (through Ticketmaster, boo!), just hope they're not too stupidly priced, I imagine there's an incentive to fill the stadium which is gonna be difficult if they're £80 a shot.

15. Shimmy

Man of Honour

I'm definitely going, been playing baseball in the UK leagues for the past 5 years.

Really looking forward to it :cool:

16. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Nah I'm definitely priced out of that, no way I'm paying those sorts of prices for a half-decent view. It said last night that the pre-reg tickets were sold out, so it'll be interesting to see how quickly the general sale tickets sell today. Some people must be stinking rich.

17. planty

Wise Guy

I got a couple of tickets up in the gods this morning. Even they were quite expensive, but should be a good evening out!

18. byeo

Wise Guy

See, this is what I don't get. I paid $22 to sit up in the Grandstand at Yankee Stadium, behind the home plate and it was against the Red Sox. Ok I get that they play a stupid amount of games in a regular season so a sell-out is rare but why can't they price these London games better to gain more interest?

19. planty

Wise Guy

I know what you mean, but it looks like both days have sold out so I imagine the MLB will be happy enough. Hopefully it might lead to more (cheaper!) games in the future.

20. Participant

Caporegime

Great money spinner. Very high prices but then it's a new venture.

Sorry to get all deep but the world feels like a smaller place every day.