Mobile Recycling

Associate
Got an old HTC Desire that doesn't work (Won't power on after i pulled the battery) and i want to get rid of it. Had a look online and see there are a few place that pay for not working Desire's my question is.

Will they try and fix the phone or just break it down for parts?

I want to no because it will have personal details on it and i'd rather them not fall into untrustworthy hands. My guess would be it will need a new mainboard to get it going again which of course would mean my data goes but if it's just a simple fix then i'm not sure.

I did email one of them to ask and they said they can't guarantee my personal data's safety.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
did a quick search and found this thread. can anyone tell me what companies will give you money for your mobile in store as I dont want to have to send it away.

I have heard Care phone does this but not certain?

cheers

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Phones4u buy them I believe, or take it to CeX and see what grade they classify it and might get a decent price.

Associate
The reason I ask is because i can get 160 for my sgs2 from money for your phone (never heard of them) and dont really trust sending a phone away without special delivery (not sure where i would stand if the phone went missing).

I have a phones 4 u, 3 store (seen they do it online but not sure in store) and a CPW across the road from my work.

i might just have to pop along tomorrow on my lunch

thanks for the replies

Associate
Just to hikack this thread a little, bit i'm wondering about the same company and mobile recycling companies in general. Do they work and actually send the money they quote? I have 2 phones that i want to sell and this seems to be the easiest way, but i'm reluctant to send them off and either get a lot less than quoted or nothing at all, as it seems to be their word against yous with regards to the condition of your phone and what it's worth.

Soldato
Take pictures (especially of all marks / front), note serials etc... before sending. In general they are safe, you'll always get the idiots who treated their phone like dirt and expect premium prices who then moan like hell but on the whole you'll have a good experience. I treat my phones extremely well and have never been offered less than the expected quote but i know people who have been offered lower.

I've done it about 25 times. Always do a form of delivery where they sign and you can get proof. What they do with handsets is dependant on the fault. It will either be turned into a refurb and sold, broken down and parted or full re-cycled (in this priority order). In general all refurbs are flashed but again - it's possible for some to fall down the cracks.

How broken is it? Can you get a hard reset done without loading into the OS or is it totally toast?

Back
Top Bottom