Modded exhaust noise detectors camera fines are coming.

Associate
Be funny with a whole pack of bikes going past camera...................It was this one err no that one erm the other one i think!!!

It was some curtain twitcher squealing about going up and down past where they live at anti social hours! new one on me anti social hours! are they when hes get pig roasted round the back?

Soldato
Can’t see this ever happening, the machine would have to be measuring wind speed and pressure and adjusting for this - it’s very hard for Police to do dB testing at the roadside let alone a machine.

Soldato
One of my neighbours has a rather glorious sounding little Abarth 124 Spider, wonder if that will trip these tax machines?
My neighbor has the same car but to me it sounds like Barry from the "no smoke, no poke" crew who removed all the silencers from his 1.9 TDI Bora.

I don't think the issue is performance exhausts or people ragging it, its this stupid "pops and bangs" obsession that is so antisocial. The Fiesta I end up following to work sometimes gives a succession of half a dozen shot gun volume blasts from backing off the throttle at about 25 mph. I don't know what the guy must think people are thinking when he does that but I think he may well be deluded if its anything other than 'what a tool'.

Associate
How would this work if two or more cars passed close together, or two cars passed? How would they know which car set the detector off?

Best it could do it surely it to identify cars that need inspecting. Whether by the police or going to somewhere.

Soldato
If done right, this will mainly target those with the stupid pop & bang maps, normally 18-21 years old (there's some top-drawer stereotyping for you!) that insist the best way to drive down a town or rural road is to accelerate hard then lift off every 20 metres so they go past your bedroom/lounge/<insert room name here> going BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG BRAAAAAAAAAAAP BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG etc.

Those **** heads are deserving of any fine received.

Soldato
How would this work if two or more cars passed close together, or two cars passed? How would they know which car set the detector off?

Best it could do it surely it to identify cars that need inspecting. Whether by the police or going to somewhere.

There has to be an appeal process. But how will that work? I guess someone will have to come round and test it, but then you could just swap the exhaust before they do. It isnt going to get off the ground tbh.

Caporegime
Thinking about it, it also seems a massive waste of taxpayers money given the push towards electric vehicles that have no exhaust to measure? So in a decades time this noise measuring infrastructure will be sat mainly dormant? Useful.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The main issue is that this is not a question of safety which is the justification for speed cameras, but just nuisance noise and just seems like a money making scheme because it can be automated.

Surely this could be policed manually in a more human fashion in what is considered the real problem areas much like neighbourly noise complaints are by the local council. I don't think we should be wasting money on this kind of infrastructure for what seems like an edge case in terms of whether it's necessary.

Soldato
But the boxer engines make quite a low pitched noise. On some of them you can FEEL it through the floor, but actually aren't producing that many db when you try to measure it.

dBs are a measure of sound pressure so something with a bassy tone that can be felt will be quite loud as it is producing strong pressure waves.

Back
Top Bottom