Modern IT work, and the lack of distinct days

Man of Honour
OK the concept of this thread is going to be difficult to explain, but I'll try my best. It basically relates to a feeling of malaise about working days not having any real meaning in relation to the work that needs doing.

For a while now, I've mulled over modern IT working and the fact that it feels like time off work is stressful because in some cases it just reduces the amount of time you have to do almost the same amount of work in. I've tried to dig a bit deeper and think about the general pattern of work these days, whereby the 'end of the day' isn't really a clean break. It's just an arbitrary cut off point, it doesn't mean everything that needs completing has been completed.

I tried to consider how this might have been different in the past, or in different industries. The example I always cite is the coffee shop barista. If you take a week off work, you don't come back to a queue of people out the door and a week's backlog of coffees to make. Each day is distinct in its own right. You might have a busy day or a quiet day, but generally, you don't have a day that impacts on the next day.

Even in some menial jobs where the work is too much for one day (say, crop harvesting), it's enough that you just fulfil your quota, you worked for X hours and harvested Y kilos of crops. You go home not worrying about the rest of the field that wasn't harvested (if you are a general worker; a farmer might have concerns about the storm arriving overnight I guess).

In IT, I often find that there are 'work items' that span over a long period of time. It's quite difficult to switch off because you never get to the end of the day and go "brilliant, I've cleared my plate, let's see what turns up tomorrow". There's always a sense of unease about these ongoing tasks you need to complete. There's always that backlog there gnawing away at you. Always some activity mid-flight that you dwell on outside working hours. If you have an unproductive day, that's just amplifying your future workload (equivalent of a coffee machine failure one day meaning more coffees to make the next day - doesn't work like that for the barista).

Now you could argue, that this is all perfectly fine, that really it makes sense for the work to fit around the hours we spend doing it, not the other way round. But it often lacks closure, it's not a case of saying "OK I'm done, nothing to do now until my shift starts tomorrow" more "I've reached the end of my allotted time for working, I still need to think a lot about XYZ, and I'll crack on again tomorrow"

Another thing I came to to the realisation on is that your work stack can change when you aren't even working. You finish for the day and then come in to an email requesting you to do something else. Or the 500 emails you come back to after a week off work. You might choose not to prioritise this request, but it's still another drain on your mental energy and adds to the backlog.

I think this problem is compounded by the ease at which people can make requests of you. Someone half way around the world can spend 5mins firing off an email that drastically changes your work outlook. 30 years ago, sure you might get a fax, a phonecall (when in the office) or memo etc but generally this sort of scenario must have been a lot more muted.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this thread is, beyond me wanting to get my thoughts down on paper. I do worry a bit about this emergent scenario whereby work has no natural boundaries and is only constrained by how many hours you spend doing it. Like a sort of nebulous entity with no clear compartmentalisation, just a never-ending dark tunnel of work with no light at the end of it.

Man of Honour
It is one of those things which affects some people more than others - it is one of the reasons I got out of IT but other industries can be just as bad. Even my job now isn't free of it but it can be weeks between instances of it.

I can't switch it off at all - problems tend to gnaw away in the background and my mind is to some extent revolving the problem around trying to find an angle even when I'm well clear of work.

Don't think it helps either that the weekend has become more and more less of a distinct thing, shifts and your day off can be all over the place - it can have quite an impact on some people's health.

Caporegime
For a while now, I've mulled over modern IT working and the fact that it feels like time off work is stressful because in some cases it just reduces the amount of time you have to do almost the same amount of work in. I've tried to dig a bit deeper and think about the general pattern of work these days, whereby the 'end of the day' isn't really a clean break. It's just an arbitrary cut off point, it doesn't mean everything that needs completing has been completed.

I tried to consider how this might have been different in the past, or in different industries. The example I always cite is the coffee shop barista. If you take a week off work, you don't come back to a queue of people out the door and a week's backlog of coffees to make. Each day is distinct in its own right. You might have a busy day or a quiet day, but generally, you don't have a day that impacts on the next day.

Even in some menial jobs where the work is too much for one day (say, crop harvesting), it's enough that you just fulfil your quota, you worked for X hours and harvested Y kilos of crops. You go home not worrying about the rest of the field that wasn't harvested (if you are a general worker; a farmer might have concerns about the storm arriving overnight I guess).

I'm not sure I agree re: farming, that is a continuous thing, perhaps even more so than IT. If there is some issue with flooding or some other issue with crops or animals at the weekend then that doens't necessarily stop. Sure, for some random farmhand doing a basic job then not so much but for the farmer, himself or someone involved higher up than the basic stuff then it's even more non-stop than ITarguably.

I think with IT some roles might be more small task oriented - if you're some CS person then you're going to perhaps have a bunch of tickets that you can just deal with and maybe a backlog of tickets that might take a little bit longer or that need to be kept open because you're waiting on some more stuff from the client or development etc.. but that's kind of a lower level, small tasks role.

Project work on the other hand, well that is kind of ongoing though typically these days the aim is to make sure most team members aren't irreplaceable and that tasks are broken down (often into sprints that take a week etc..) so taking a week off ought to mean you can leave stuff - granted production systems are a bit different, if you need R&D peeps on hand to deal with urgent maintenance stuff for CS/support guys etc.. then that's an issue.

It isn't necessarily something that was massively different in the past, I think farming is a good example of an ongoing - work never stops, issue... the animals don't go into stasis just because it's the weekend etc...

For project work then look at say a carpenter or other tradesperson in biblical times, they have a bunch of furniture to make say for a big order, they're not necessarily going to finish everything by the Sabbath, they have to down tools for a day and pick up the work the next day, by which time some more people might come along wanting.

I mean epople have been doing project work of some description for thousands of years, from building the Pyramids in Egypt to Stone Henge, Inca temples etc.. etc..

Soldato
I think it pretty much comes down to whether you're in a team that someone else can continue with your work whilst you're off - similar to your coffee barista. Or if you're solo and it's a case of having less time to finish a project because you had a week off. I'd be surprised if many companies would just extend the deadline by a week because you had a week off - which then leads to as you've expressed, having to cram that missing week into the schedule results in you doing far more work in a normal week.

Man of Honour
I know exactly what you mean and there are plenty of times where I think once I'm all straightened out financially it would be nice to just sack it all off and pick up a nice once the day is done it's done type of job but then they also tend to be the lower paid worse hours type of roles so I'll probably just carry on as I am.

Soldato
The work is never done; be at peace with it. I had a guy in my team drop a key side-of-desk role because he was "too busy". We are all "too busy" but that's the point. You can't just "not be busy". It is therefore your approach to how you handle the work that becomes key.

Edit: And chuck in the serenity prayer for good measure.

Soldato
I went through this feeling for years until a colleague of mine told me how he treats work life and non-work life. Took me a while to get to grips with it, but now I'm more realistic about work deadlines, others' expectations and when I clock off I can just switch off work. I'm firm with the company as much as they're firm with me.

I won't go into detail as to exactly what and how I've changed because it'll not be relevant to you, I am basically the only person that does my job in IT and for a small company. Projects will get done when they get done, deadlines move with variables and I've been firm with the higher-ups that this is the case and explain why.

Caporegime
I know what you're getting at as I've had the feeling, fortunately, I'm in a position where my manager is quite happy for me to say no to additional work tasks as long as it can be explained. If you're a people pleaser it can get out of hand, particularly with emails as people will fire them across without a second thought as to how that affects your workday.

As @dLockers has said though, the work is never done and you need to learn to make peace with it. The alternative outside of some niche areas is usually clock in, clock off shift work on a much lower salary.

Soldato
Consider the opposite problem. You come into work for months upon end with literally nothing to do because the app/tech/area you support has gone into legacy mode with no further development approved as you will eventually migrate away from it. You come into work with no motivation at all since you really have nothing to do. You feel useless and are encouraged to go off and research new things and projects, but deep down you know they have no real need for you right now. Do you stick around waiting for redundancy for years that may never come, since they call your bluff and stubbornly refuse yo pay you off? Do you jump ship? Do you stay and browse the net daily thinking yep I'll happily take the money for doing nothing? That gets boring real quick.

Being always busy is healthy and shows you are needed. You just need to learn when and how to switch off. Don't ever reply to emails when off the clock so to speak. It sets expectations that you will do so again. It only takes one reply to ruin this. If you send me an email on Friday night at 7pm, it's not being read until Monday morning. I have teams and outlook notifications turned OFF on my phone. I have the apps installed, for when I need them but notifications are permanently off.

Soldato
It gets worse when you get more senior. When I was more technical focused at least at the end of the week it always felt like you got the job done and even on the big projects you feel like you make progress towards and end. When I got offered a management position the first thing I found was the work was never ending. That satisfying feeling of getting the job done was gone. It was pretty shocking and took me a long time to get over it. Now I’m more senior (should be director within the next couple of years) I’ve learnt to let go of that.

Soldato
I had this issue at work, most of the office staff would be processing requests as they came in. Process orders, arrange payments, reply to emails etc, the more efficient the job was done the less work for follow up was needed. When it came to holidays I would be asked to drop my projects and cover for them meaning I'd be running behind in my own work. If I wanted time off they were not expected to cover for me so my work was just paused. Over a 3 month period I'd lose about a months worth of productivity either trying to recoup time from my own holiday or covering holiday for 2 other members of staff. When one went on maternity I could only work on essential projects because there wasn't time for anything else, but apparently I was expected to manage my own time better. There have been times where I've considered just dropping it and gone to work picking orders for Amazon.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not sure I agree re: farming, that is a continuous thing, perhaps even more so than IT. If there is some issue with flooding or some other issue with crops or animals at the weekend then that doens't necessarily stop. Sure, for some random farmhand doing a basic job then not so much but for the farmer
Yeah, maybe not the best example which is why I tried to caveat it for the crop harvester as opposed to the farmer.
What I was driving at was, to put it abstractly, roles where for the worker themselves they have a clear dilineation between days and prior day doesn't impact current day.
If you had a crop harvester who was told to harvest 500kg of crops in a week and the only did 50kg on the first day that would be an example of something more akin to the IT worker I describe, where they are now behind schedule and need to catch up.
Maybe a better example would be something like an nurse. My wife used to do nursing and whilst she had some truly horrific days (children she had known for months dying etc) the actual work itself didn't really spill over much from one day to the next. She has subsequently moved into a management role within NHS and I've noticed she now has different horizons, worried about keeping on top of things and things she has to consider over an extended period.

I cited IT in the subject line, but it's not exclusive to IT, it's more about modern working in the connected world.

Associate
I am in the same position, Since 1st lock down customers requests have been non stop. I am only person in my company who can support SharePoint and 365. Oh and provide holiday/ random cover contracts we get for customers. I focus on one and other one just build up to point a 20 hour day makes no dent in it at all. If you take leave it just an excuse not to reply to emails while yous spend a few hours each morning trying to catch up from before. It just at the point now I lost all motivation and trying to work out if I can find another job on the same wage or just get a job in supermarket down the road and work more hours to balance the books

Caporegime
I cited IT in the subject line, but it's not exclusive to IT, it's more about modern working in the connected world.

I don’t think it is though, I mean I’ve just given examples. Sure you can say crop harvester/farm hand doing basic work doesn’t negate it but I’ve acknowledged that already and that’s fine but it doesn’t negate the farmer or carpenter etc…

I’m sure some Inn keepers or servants were “on call” back in the day too.

I mean essentially it seems we’re talking about work that can be broken into tasks and completed/forgotten about for a week etc.. and work that is ongoing.

I think there are aspects of modern work that can apply to either. If you have a good team with sufficient coverage of skills then even ongoing project work ought to be something that is broken down into weekly tasks/sprints and can be dropped for a week when you go on holiday etc…

Man of Honour
OP
I think you are just describing "management roles" versus "staff roles".
I would agree it's probably more prevalent in management, but it's not exclusive to management. The same applies to e.g. SMEs. As dowie says, it's really about work that is discrete tasks versus ongoing (even breaking down into tasks isn't really the point, if many tasks are interlinked).

But it's also a bit more than that. As I alluded to in the OP, I struggle a bit to articulate this, I can't really get in writing the essence of what I feel. I think it's a perhaps unrealistic desire for having totally standalone, distinct days that have no /minimal bearing on the future days. Like you can have a great day or a **** day and other than your mental wellbeing, or perhaps your relationship with others, it doesn't impact the actual work you need to do in future.

And yeah, there's probably been a lot of jobs in the past that don't offer this either, perhaps even more so when there were fewer large employers and people did trades for themselves.

Something's not right though, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Soldato
Its because you need to finish things in a meaningful way to get a sense of accomplishment.
The way your work is structured and project managed, (or the lack thereof) that never happens.
Often happens under micro management, or projects that constantly scope creep or have poorly defined objectives.
Can happen a lot in support jobs. Especially where you have to no input to improve the system or process that requires support.
If nothing ever changes, there a sense of being trapped in a hamster wheel.

So either you change how the work is done. Or you switch to doing different work.

Sometimes its due to the people you are working with. Some people constantly create endless projects and processes.
Another is setting people up to fail, by not giving them the resources to complete tasks in a timely way.

It could also be a midlife crisis, caused by the above issues.

Soldato
The best example to compare it to would be pick/packing in a 24h warehouse or production facility, the work never stops but unless you have some unfair quota system when your time is up you are relieved by someone else who continues the work and it is no longer your responsibility.

I used to do machine minding in a factory in the summers and the work was incredibly dull just making sure the carton hopper was suitably stacked and clear out any jams as they happen. As soon as your shift was done all you had to mention to the person taking your position was if the machine had any issues with the glue and off you went. There was nothing to think about off shift and probably the easiest job I've ever switched off from in an evening.

Right now I'm at work checking over and shipping orders out at 1am because I'm off for the next 3 days and the person left to cover for me has only been here a month. We've not gone over this process yet as she was messed about by the person who was training her on other parts of the business, I didn't want to drop this on her too.

Soldato
I would agree it's probably more prevalent in management, but it's not exclusive to management. The same applies to e.g. SMEs. As dowie says, it's really about work that is discrete tasks versus ongoing (even breaking down into tasks isn't really the point, if many tasks are interlinked).

But it's also a bit more than that. As I alluded to in the OP, I struggle a bit to articulate this, I can't really get in writing the essence of what I feel. I think it's a perhaps unrealistic desire for having totally standalone, distinct days that have no /minimal bearing on the future days. Like you can have a great day or a **** day and other than your mental wellbeing, or perhaps your relationship with others, it doesn't impact the actual work you need to do in future.

And yeah, there's probably been a lot of jobs in the past that don't offer this either, perhaps even more so when there were fewer large employers and people did trades for themselves.

Something's not right though, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

It sounds a bit like Groundhog Day.

Perhaps your job /project / working days are blending in to one and the end is so far away you can't ever see it completing. Maybe you feel like your creative side is not being satisfied, you're just fire-fighting the current and next issue in such quantities that there is no highlight or particular satisfaction. It's making you unhappy even when you're not at work and affecting your personal time, so much so that you feel like you never truly switch off from work.

Back
Top Bottom