Modern Warfare 2 Free steam weekend!

Associate
Just a quick heads up that Modern Warfare 2 is free to play all weekend.

I'm guessing people are going to open a new steam account and start hacking which will make the already shocking hacking problem even worse. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Only the MP is free, you can't play the SP at all.

That would be stupid, it's only about 6 hours long anyway, everyone would complete it :p

Beginning this Thursday, April 8, gamers around the world can play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer free of charge during a special Free Weekend promotion on Steam. The definitive online experience, Modern Warfare 2 returns with a host of new perks and enhancements. Those who wish to enjoy every moment of the Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer Free Weekend may pre-load Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer now. There is no obligation to participate.

Man of Honour
It's MP only. I reckon they are doing this to try and convert the boycotters who didn't buy the game. It may convince them that its not as bad as they expected, without dedicated servers, but it certainly won't convince them its the best way to play a very good MP game.

I've played it a lot and I know for a fact it would be loads better with proper servers and anti cheat measures.

But we all know the real reason for IWNet is charge Pc gamers for DLC that they would expect for free.

Man of Honour
Core gameplay is quite good.

If they just bothered to put dedicated servers in it would atleast cut down on the cheating enough to make it bareable even if they didn't have anti-cheat.

Some of the perks do need tweaking.

Game has a distinct lack of assault style objective modes too - which should be hardcore settings with more restrictive perk useage for a slower more tense game pace, groundwar is good and all but sometimes I want a change of pace :D

Soldato
Not sure the best way to drum up a bit of interest in this game is to let people play the MP.

The people who've already bought it are stuck with the shambles that is MP, but letting gamers try before they buy = madness.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really, Steam have done it with plenty of games (started with TF2 I think) and i'd guess it works fairly well.

Selective quoting is for winners.

I'm well aware of previous weekends for other games, however it seems strange to me that Modern Warfare 2 has now been given this treatment.

Might be to try and boost sales for the DLC as I'm guessing that comes to PC soon.

Thats a good shout, though haven't they spent loads on advertising in the media for this dlc?

Soldato
Selective quoting is for winners.

I'm well aware of previous weekends for other games, however it seems strange to me that Modern Warfare 2 has now been given this treatment.

Why is it strange for MW2 to have done it but not other popular MP games? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom