Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2017, Monte Carlo - Race 6/20

Rate the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
tEAFMRK.png
Monte Carlo
The Monaco Grand Prix is the one race of the year that every driver dreams of winning. Like the Indy 500 or Le Mans, it stands alone, almost distinct from the sport from which it was born. A combination of precision driving, technical excellence and sheer bravery is required to win in Monte Carlo, facets which highlight the differences between the great and the good in Formula One.

The Armco barrier-lined circuit leaves no margin for error, demanding more concentration that any other Formula One track. Cars run with maximum downforce and brakes are worked hard. Overtaking is next to impossible so qualifying in Monaco is more critical than at any other Grand Prix.

The Portier corner is key to achieving a good lap time around Monaco. It is preceded by the Loews hairpin, the slowest corner in Formula One, and followed by the tunnel, one of the few flat-out sections of the track. Some great names have ended their races in the barriers here, most notably Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher.

To win in Monaco places a driver's name on a list that includes many of history's all-time greats.

Both Graham Hill, the man nicknamed 'Mr Monaco', and Schumacher have won it five times, Alain Prost took four victories, whilst Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart each won here three times. But the record of wins in the Principality resides with the Senna, who won in Monte Carlo six times.

The race has been a regular fixture of the world championship since 1955, but in that time the circuit has changed remarkably little. Slight alterations were made for the 2003 event, in particular a new, gentler entry to the Rascasse corner, with even bigger changes in 2004, with a new pit complex and increased spectator capacity.

TV Times
Sky:
GC3SNpw.png

C4:
umrWeb7.png

Track Diagram & Information
E4BpGnU.png

Weather Forecast
ZHLH9Vv.png

2016 Onboard Lap
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/5/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Monaco_2016.html

2016 Race Edit
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2...en_footage_from_an_unforgettable_weekend.html

Monaco Preview Quotes
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...review-quotes---renault--haas---red-bull.html

WDC Standings

Qbuyhhw.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
oyp4Wke.png

Practice 1
jfM3EFT.png

Practice 2
jhlijfy.png

Practice 3
DfSGFeV.png

Qualifying
iyMVCRP.png

Race
aGtIPnR.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'd rather have Monaco than Baku or Sochi, even if it's just for the visual appeal.

Exactly, if for nothing else, watching the drivers manhandling the cars round this 'fish out of water' circuit gives an immense sensation of speed and driver skill. I wasn't initially a fan of the revised swimming pool entry, until I realised how much more momentum the drivers could carry into it. Monaco always brings back memories of this:

Man of Honour
brilliant track, and it should never be canned.
let the moaners moan, lik always.

there is no need for 20 identical tracks a year, one track a year with no run offs is great.

Caporegime
It's currently the only track that doesn't pay a hosting fee. That alone shows it's place on the calendar is assured for a long time to come. It's certainly a spectacle, even if the race is usually dull and with the wider cars it will be even more difficult to pass. Lets hope for some rain in Saturday or even better on Sunday.

Caporegime
Monaco is great. Even if overtaking is limited, you still get the spectacle of where it is, and the excitement of the cars racing within cm's of the barriers.

Associate
Having spectated at the race itself, i will join in with the recent comments that Monaco does have its place in the calendar. Watching the cars been hustled around this track is a spectacle and shows great levels of driver skill. Let the moaners moan...

Soldato
Having spectated at the race itself, i will join in with the recent comments that Monaco does have its place in the calendar. Watching the cars been hustled around this track is a spectacle and shows great levels of driver skill. Let the moaners moan...

That's quite interesting, as I base much of my own opinion on having been to the race as well. Possibly the most dull F1 race I've ever seen, it was an absolute procession for the entire race. Sean Edwards (RIP) in his Porsche was braking later than the F1 cars did down at Piscine. Only one car ever pushed, and that was Raikkonen, and then only after he had pitted following a puncture and so could actually push on the tyres for a few laps.

Still, I'm ever optimistic. Perhaps a safety car will mix things up, or maybe a whale will beach itself on the track :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yup, Button's been impressive considering it's his first time in a 2017 car.

On the other hand, Stoffel's stock must be dropping quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom