Monitor Advice Please. LG 34UM65-P 34-inch UltraWide Screen with 21:9 Aspect Ratio

Associate
I purchased this monitor second hand and so far I have no complaints.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...escreen-super-wide-led-monitor-mo-107-lg.html

Great for gaming (to my eyes) movies are fine as is day to day surfing. I love having the ability to use split-screen when working which I use all the time. I'm using a GTX 980 and I will be upgrading that soon.

My question is if I get one of the "gaming monitors" with refresh rates of 144mhz plus is the difference that obvious? Would I lose split-screen function? I currently game at 1080 and that looks ok to me.

The cards Im considering are 3070??/ 2070/ 2080 would they be wasted on my current monitor?
Cheers

Associate
OP
Sorry all but i needed to push this question back up as its unanswered. My question is if I get one of the "gaming monitors" with refresh rates of 144mhz plus is the difference that obvious? Would I lose split-screen function? I currently game at 1080 and that looks ok to me.

Permabanned
It's difficult to answer. Thing is that the moment you try a higher resolution monitor, or a faster refresh then you will never be happy with your existing monitor again! Yes there is a lot to be gained by going to 3440x1440 or 2560x1440 at 144Hz. In fact the biggest gain is to about 90Hz or so, so any monitor above that would be great. The difference in refresh rate is subtle but it's definitely worth it. Most gamers would argue that it's far more important than resolution. The big problem with either is you need more power. Your 980 just isn't going to cut it. It depends what you get as to what you need but I would go for the most powerful graphics card you can afford. I currently have a 3440x1440 monitor and a 2070S. In all games it will mange 60Hz but it struggles above that for certain titles. You want the most powerful card you can afford. My plan is to get at least a 3080 next year.

Associate
OP
It's difficult to answer. Thing is that the moment you try a higher resolution monitor, or a faster refresh then you will never be happy with your existing monitor again! Yes there is a lot to be gained by going to 3440x1440 or 2560x1440 at 144Hz. In fact the biggest gain is to about 90Hz or so, so any monitor above that would be great. The difference in refresh rate is subtle but it's definitely worth it. Most gamers would argue that it's far more important than resolution. The big problem with either is you need more power. Your 980 just isn't going to cut it. It depends what you get as to what you need but I would go for the most powerful graphics card you can afford. I currently have a 3440x1440 monitor and a 2070S. In all games it will mange 60Hz but it struggles above that for certain titles. You want the most powerful card you can afford. My plan is to get at least a 3080 next year.

im grateful for you replying and with a detailed answer. I’m definitely going to buy the best I can afford. Probably a 2080/3080. But no less than 2070s/3070. I plan on a change of pc to but that depend on price of new cards etc as to whether I do it this autumn or next spring. I hadn’t planned on changing my monitor until I started reading up. But I couldn’t be sure how much difference I would see or if it would improve gameplay in FPS games.

Back
Top Bottom