• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Monitor shows no signal so I think I may have damaged my GPU, reccommendations for a new one (£500)

Associate
This morning I had some issues with my wireless adapter so I thought I would try and remove it from the motherboard then plug it back on. Everything else was working completely fine. At the same time, it had been a while since I cleaned my PC so I cleared some dust by removing the CPU fan and GPU.

However I after putting everything back the monitor would always so no signal or stay black. I also noticed that the fans on GPU didn't spin, although I've been told that newer ones wouldn't do so on startup (AMD 5700 MSI)

Things I've tried are:

- remove graphics card multiple times and refit into the motherboard

- Remove PSU to GPU wires and refit.

- removed one RAM, removed both RAMS

- removed CMOS battery for a few minutes and replace

- Connected monitor to a laptop, so no issues with monitor or cable.

I really hope I didn't ruin my GPU. First time I tried to remove it I forgot to remove the latch and pulled a small section out. It's one of those times where you do more damage than good. The annoying thing is I need it for work!

Any reccommendations for replacement GPU budget around £500

Soldato
I really hope I didn't ruin my GPU. First time I tried to remove it I forgot to remove the latch and pulled a small section out. It's one of those times where you do more damage than good. The annoying thing is I need it for work!

What do you mean by pulled a small section out?
Did you break the clip? did you damage the slot on the motherboard or what?
Or you pulled the GPU a little bit out before you realised it was latched? usually if you pull the "left" side out a little bit (monitor connector side) is not a problem, but if you pulled the latch side you could damage the MB or GPU

Associate
Did you remove the CPU cooler or just the fan.

Double check that the GPU and the PCIe cables are seated correctly.

Plus as the post above. Can you post a pic?

Associate
OP
Take the motherboard out of the case and try the GPU.

Will give that a go this evening thanks for suggestion.
What do you mean by pulled a small section out?
Did you break the clip? did you damage the slot on the motherboard or what?
Or you pulled the GPU a little bit out before you realised it was latched? usually if you pull the "left" side out a little bit (monitor connector side) is not a problem, but if you pulled the latch side you could damage the MB or GPU

It was latched I pulled out the side that wasn't latched slightly so in terms of what you said it shouldnt have damaged it. I didn't break anything as far as I know.

Did you remove the CPU cooler or just the fan.

Double check that the GPU and the PCIe cables are seated correctly.

Plus as the post above. Can you post a pic?

Initially I unscrewed one of the cooler screws but quickly screwed it back in after realising that and unscrewed the fan for a clean.

GPU and PCI cables seems fine.

Will post a pic now

Associate
OP
Dl3inXm

Last edited:
Soldato
I would try removing your sound card and installing the GPU in the lower slot, just for testing... as that slot is 8x instead of 16x like the top one.

Also sometimes, reseting the bios would fix some problems like that.

Associate
OP
I would try removing your sound card and installing the GPU in the lower slot, just for testing... as that slot is 8x instead of 16x like the top one.

Also sometimes, reseting the bios would fix some problems like that.

Thanks, tried that, unfortuntely didnt work.

Have you tried plugging the monitor into a different hdmi/display port on the gpu?

yes multiple times

Soldato
Something I've come across in the past is the interference of the pc case not letting the hdmi cable plug seat in far enough into the gpu's hdmi socket. Going by your pics, it looks like that might be happening. If it were me, I'd slacken off the two gpu clamping screws (that secure the gpu into the case), plug in the hdmi cable and ensure its "fully" seated and try that. I would also suggest you do this with the pc on it's side so the gpu is sitting vertically so as to avoid too much movement of the card in the pcie slot.

Back
Top Bottom