Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Associate
I've made an OCUK Hunters squad for when we all catch up and get to the high rank stuff.

I'm still rank 10 as well, really taking my time with progressing through the assignment quests... I think I'm too easily distracted.
Diablos is my current main quest, though I want to clear out some more of the optional quests and deliveries before I focus on that one.

Nice one, how do we get in on it?

My friend and I finished Diablos last night, with two others via SOS. He's pretty tough because he hits so hard / stun locks you. More people help to split his aggro and let others heal etc. He's weakest to Ice so I specifically crafted the Legiana bow, seemed to work pretty well.

@Plainsong That's pretty cool, wonder how it will work?

Associate
Don't the bounties just give Armour Spheres? The investigations give good amounts of materials, especially if you go for a capture e.g. Legiana

Associate
Yeah the bounties give spheres, the investigations give materials. At the moment I have a surplus of spheres as I only upgrade the armour I use, typically those with a resistance I need or a stat I'm after. For materials I need I either look for SOS's or go on an expedition. Starting to think perhaps I should do some of the investigations, but I have so many of them.

Soldato
That did the trick went from 400 to 97000 cash. Must remember to clear out my item box more often.

Yeah there is a lot of value there. Now I am at high rank the animal parts from the same monsters are eg Anjanath fang+ so the older parts aren't really going to cut it. I keep some things - I don't sell ore or bones for instance.

Associate
Nice one, how do we get in on it?

My friend and I finished Diablos last night, with two others via SOS. He's pretty tough because he hits so hard / stun locks you. More people help to split his aggro and let others heal etc. He's weakest to Ice so I specifically crafted the Legiana bow, seemed to work pretty well.

@Plainsong That's pretty cool, wonder how it will work?
Just need to work out a time when we're both online as you need to be in the same session to get invited to the squad.
I'll be online tonight from about 9 to 11:30 if anyone else is planning on being on, my PSN is Suneai if you want to team up.

I've been ignoring Investigations and going for Bounties, are the Investigations worth pursuing?
Bounties for when you want to upgrade existing armour.
Investigations when you're farming materials for crafting new stuff and progressing through weapon trees.

Soldato
Yeah there is a lot of value there. Now I am at high rank the animal parts from the same monsters are eg Anjanath fang+ so the older parts aren't really going to cut it. I keep some things - I don't sell ore or bones for instance.

How's high level like? Just about to start it. Need to find a wandering pukei pukei .....

Soldato
Same but harder. The gear gets better and so does the monster damage and health but it's not too bad. I managed that pukei pukei first time but he surprised me by how much harder he was.

Associate
I didn't find pukei much harder although much more aggressive and obviously more hp but not to hard.

Make sure you take a decent supply of dung pods as last thing you want is a hr anjanath or ratholos turning up to interfere
+1 for dung, we had a Bazelgeuse crash the party yesterday :eek: F that lol, we just ran!

Got to high rank yesterday, my bows are ok as I spent a while unlocking multiple trees for different elements, but I need some better armour. Is there a good jack of all trades for the start of high rank? Also, where can I find more equipment gems?

Last edited:
Associate
Took down Diablos last night, it took two attempts as the other players who joined me on the first attempt were being way too reckless and got knocked out within a couple of minutes from all being glued to him/her (never know the genders of these big monsters) at all times. The second time round it was me and one other player so we were able to manage the charges more effectively, in the end we ended up capturing instead of going for the kill as we had the resources.

Also had a insanely quick take down of Barroth with a random for a capture mission. By complete accident, the first attack I did resulted in a mount and then the two of us tore into it with our long swords & had it limping instantly. It was a very satisfying take down...

I always keep a set of dung pods and flash pods in my inventory, never leave home without them.

Associate
Hit the high rank stuff last night and now I'm totally lost with all the various armour and weapon options. This game is going to take a bit of thought. Still muddling through with sword and shield but think its time to try out some new weapons, any recommendations?

Soldato
Hit the high rank stuff last night and now I'm totally lost with all the various armour and weapon options. This game is going to take a bit of thought. Still muddling through with sword and shield but think its time to try out some new weapons, any recommendations?

Pick any. It's all quite balanced. Depends on your play style.

Associate
I think we've got a few fans of the Insect Glaive on here.

I'm a huge fan of the Charge Blade and Long Sword.
The Charge Blade takes some getting used to as it's a lot of management with filling phials (done by simply attacking monsters), charging your shield for added defence and charging the blade for a powerful finisher. Once you're used to the weapon it just becomes a sequence of attack, shield charge, attack, weapon charge, discharge everything and restart.
It starts off in a sword and shield mode so it might be a good progression from your current build?

The Long Sword is an insanely simple weapon to use, you pretty much do the regular attacks until the gauge is filled and then switch to a four part combo to activate the weapons second state. Then it's simply R2 + Triangle to do a thrusting attack and then R2 to launch into the air for the finisher. The finisher move can be tricky to line up as monsters rarely stay still and you can't turn aim mid air.

Back
Top Bottom