Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Soldato
It's taken me a week to get a good feel for the insect glaive. It is such a fast play style it's hard for my brain to keep up with all the things that I have to keep an eye on. When you have all 3 elements up to get the full buff the attack animations change and it is so cool when you start knocking parts off everywhere as you spin in the air around the monster. I'm nowhere near totally comfortable with it but I am getting better by the day and I can chain my combo's regularly with more success.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone else tried the lance? I'm finding it surprisingly fun. The run attack is hilarious and it's super easy to mount beasts. The counter smash is super satisfying too.

Soldato
Feels amazing when you get in to the big monsters. I'm fighting some crazy ice breathing flying thing that kills your stamina. Loving this game so much. I can't imagine what the endgame madness will be like.

Soldato
Yeah it does feel good , just got that kulu bird looking one that pick rocks up to attack you with haha .. the bloody thing kept running away and eating a giant egg I think it was to regain health, managed to break the egg though and salvage the remains :D

Best part about the hunt was when I sent my insect in to attack after catching up with it and it killed it haha what a game this is ...

Struggling with the glaive to get into the final state with buffed stats , tried watching the tutorial and harvesting with the insect but can only ever manage to get 2 parts of the 3 highlighted :( Will keep trying though !

Soldato
I learnt to spam L2 and triangle to get the essence you need. Don't recall it when the colour isn't what you want. Just L2 triangle it again to a different part until you get the one you want then L2 circle to bring it back to you. After some practice I can get all three pretty quickly now.

Soldato
I played around this morning focusing on the kinsects stamina and found that if the stamina is low but not depleted you can spam as much as you need to triangle and return circle and it will quickly fill the stamina back up. I just pick a monster and go practice. Never thought I'd be toying with anjanath after how much he messed me up last week.

Soldato
I played around this morning focusing on the kinsects stamina and found that if the stamina is low but not depleted you can spam as much as you need to triangle and return circle and it will quickly fill the stamina back up. I just pick a monster and go practice. Never thought I'd be toying with anjanath after how much he messed me up last week.

Haha I'm still at the point where if I see him I keep my distance , don't think it will take long until I'm taking him on though, think the next big monster is looking like it will be that pukei pukei

Add me on psn , will probably require an sos at some point Haha and be good to go on hunts with someone who knows what they're doing as I'm still learning :D

Soldato
What's your psn? Mine is Alterash. I don't have sigs enabled so if it's there I can't see it :)

The essences can vary from monster to monster. Sometimes you'll get red from the head or the tail and sometimes the tail will return green for health. Watch the colour of the kinsect or - if you can't see him - there is a glowing bug icon to the left of the three diamond essence icons letting you know what he's currently carrying. I just spam it until he has what I want. I can generally get white and orange first because the parts to aim at are bigger. Red is the tricky one so sometimes I use L2+R2 to mark the head which works most of the time. Doesn't always work though so I will just keep spamming it until it's there.

I pretty much have the essence harvesting down. Now I need to focus getting all my combo hits in whilst buffed. I miss a lot!

Last edited:
Soldato
Feels amazing when you get in to the big monsters. I'm fighting some crazy ice breathing flying thing that kills your stamina. Loving this game so much. I can't imagine what the endgame madness will be like.

I went against that last night. Felt epic. Climb to the top of the mountain above the clouds. Chasing it from one area to the next. Very Avatar-esque.

Soldato
I went against that last night. Felt epic. Climb to the top of the mountain above the clouds. Chasing it from one area to the next. Very Avatar-esque.

I ran out of time in the end as I started at the wrong area and it took me ages to find him. But it was an epic fight while it lasted!

Soldato
I ran out of time in the end as I started at the wrong area and it took me ages to find him. But it was an epic fight while it lasted!

Yeah, you need to start at the north east camp. You see it pretty much straight away. The fight took about 35 minutes with 2 of us.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's your psn? Mine is Alterash. I don't have sigs enabled so if it's there I can't see it :)

The essences can vary from monster to monster. Sometimes you'll get red from the head or the tail and sometimes the tail will return green for health. Watch the colour of the kinsect or - if you can't see him - there is a glowing bug icon to the left of the three diamond essence icons letting you know what he's currently carrying. I just spam it until he has what I want. I can generally get white and orange first because the parts to aim at are bigger. Red is the tricky one so sometimes I use L2+R2 to mark the head which works most of the time. Doesn't always work though so I will just keep spamming it until it's there.

I pretty much have the essence harvesting down. Now I need to focus getting all my combo hits in whilst buffed. I miss a lot!
Will add you tonight :) , need to register for ps plus while I'm at it , ps4 has been gathering dust since switch came out , until this game that is :D

Ah I never knew it showed you what he was currently carrying , I always managed to get red and white pretty quickly but then just struggled for the 3rd

It's cool how you can combo whilst in the air and it jumps you back up into the air

Soldato
I bought this at launch but haven't been able to dedicate any decent amount of time to it until now. I just noticed the Horizon Zero Dawn related quest is only available until February 8th, I know I read you need to be Hunter Rank 6 to do the quest. Currently I'm Hunter Rank 2, do I have enough time? I'm not sure how fast ranking up is. I should be able to spend 2/3 hours tonight and tomorrow.

Associate
I'd say it's possible if you completely ignore the story and rush through everything, however I'd also say that it isn't worth it just to get to one special event quest.
Take your time and enjoy the game.

Back
Top Bottom