Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Still no current accounts for the masses. I've got a Monzo card, but immediately started using Starling when they rolled out their current account. They'll beaten Monzo by half a year.

Starling looks quite nice actually, from a UI perspective. How do the two compare? Would you ever use Starling over a traditional bank?

Switched an account from Co-op to Starling using the switching service. Co-op are absolutely dire when it comes technology.

The Starling app is still quite basic, but it doesn't have the daft pay with friends option that takes up valuable real estate on the Monzo app screen.

The annoying thing about Starling is having to record a video of yourself saying some stupid phrase. I had done it, but found that when I wanted to make a payment to another account, that my video hadn't been accepted. I needed to make the payment immediately, and Starling demanded I make the video. Not good when I was abroad in a busy Spanish restaurant.

Other than that, it work ok. Posted a cheque to them from Spain, and they messaged to say they'd received it and the fund would be in my account in a week.

One of the problem with all of these app based current accounts is that you are completely locked out of the account if you lose your phone. With traditional accounts, you use online banking, telephone banking, or go into a branch if needed. Here you're screwed. You can email them, but most customer support is done via the app. You can use another phone, but you need to get it verified, and if abroad you might not be able to get a compatible phone.

Soldato
One of the problem with all of these app based current accounts is that you are completely locked out of the account if you lose your phone. With traditional accounts, you use online banking, telephone banking, or go into a branch if needed. Here you're screwed. You can email them, but most customer support is done via the app. You can use another phone, but you need to get it verified, and if abroad you might not be able to get a compatible phone.

That is an issue indeed, although my phone never leaves my sight if it was to break I would have to rely on my iPad for the app.

I have never had an issue or a request for the video outside of setting up.

Soldato
Is that like Curve Card?

Nope, Revolut is much more along the lines of Monzo and others than Curve Card, which is an account aggregation service. Originally Revolut started as an account for overseas spending and money transfers at bank rates but has grown to encompass more and more services. If you travel a lot for work or pleasure Revolut is extremely useful. Keep the card loaded with various currencies and top up and spend as such at your destinations.

Soldato
Love my monzo card, used it in USA for a month with no problems at all. No transaction fees and no withdrawal fees, even worked fine at gas stations that need magnetic strip.

Soldato
Saw their ads a while back but when i looked into it it was mostly just like some pre-paid top up card so didn't bother looking further. If it is now a proper bona fide current account, and for free, then i may open one for the hell of it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Monzo for me, been great

I did see some of the processing failures when I was in malta earlier in the year and had to use another card.
They refunded my fee's and also the exchange rate difference, top notch service in my eyes :)

Associate
The annoying thing about Starling is having to record a video of yourself saying some stupid phrase. I had done it, but found that when I wanted to make a payment to another account, that my video hadn't been accepted. I needed to make the payment immediately, and Starling demanded I make the video. Not good when I was abroad in a busy Spanish restaurant.

Do you have to use that to log in or is it just for certain action, e.g. setting up a new transfer?

Soldato
Do you have to use that to log in or is it just for certain action, e.g. setting up a new transfer?
You only have to do it once, it will be the same with Monzo. I believe it's something to do with the FCA regulations of setting up a bank account if the bank doesn't have physical branches.

I'll definitely be getting a Monza current account just to try it, I love my Monzo card, it's really useful for when I travel on business and to track expenses. I get quite a lot of benefit having a Santander 123 account with my mortgage though, so not sure if I'll move lock stock. Will probably keep the joint account at Santander.

Associate
There are some unlimited and multi-use passes on the Monzo community website for Starling so I've jumped the queue, registered and should get my card in 2-3 days. Looking forward to using it. Set up literally took about 3 minutes.

My only slight reservation about Starling is they use the same card processor as Monzo (GPS) which caused outages for Monzo last week. Monzo, however, are to use their own in-house processor they've built when their current account launches. Nothing to stop me using both though and switching to the one I prefer.

Soldato
Starling is much better. I've used both Starling and Monzo over the past few months, and Starling is now close to replacing First Direct as my main bank account.
It's probably not fair to compare an interim prepay card service with a bank account service though. Monzo are just rolling out bank accounts now so I'll compare after I've got one.

Soldato
There are some unlimited and multi-use passes on the Monzo community website for Starling so I've jumped the queue, registered and should get my card in 2-3 days. Looking forward to using it. Set up literally took about 3 minutes.

My only slight reservation about Starling is they use the same card processor as Monzo (GPS) which caused outages for Monzo last week. Monzo, however, are to use their own in-house processor they've built when their current account launches. Nothing to stop me using both though and switching to the one I prefer.

Strange because my Starling card never stopped during the Monzo outage.

I guess the processor partners with many companies not all will go down.

Back
Top Bottom