Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Man of Honour
The old high street banks such as Natwest, Santander etc only display transactions in your account the day or two after the transaction took place. With the new event driven banks like Monzo and Starling, you get a notification almost immediately after using your card. They also have other nice features on their phone apps such as savings pots etc.
Yep it's why I like them, no trying to work out what's in there or gone out.
Going to move back to revolution from monzo. Far more cash withdrawals aboard before fees and I want to have a look at there cryto currency thing.
But the app is ugly these days.

And online chat when you want something, although co-op has just implemented that online anyway. Not on the app though.

Soldato
I use Revolut card like many abroad and the transaction processing is great.
Would be interested too.

Do you get same financial security as in UK banks through government.
FSCS protects the following Bank accounts:

•Monzo Bank current accounts
Individuals are protected up to £85,000* and £170,000* for joint accounts

•Starling Bank current accounts
Individuals are protected up to £85,000* and £170,000* for joint accounts

Soldato
Yep it's why I like them, no trying to work out what's in there or gone out.
Going to move back to revolution from monzo. Far more cash withdrawals aboard before fees and I want to have a look at there cryto currency thing.
But the app is ugly these days.
Revolut seems good for crypto and abroad fees but unfortunately it's not a proper current account alternative at the moment from what I can see

Caporegime
Revolut seems good for crypto and abroad fees but unfortunately it's not a proper current account alternative at the moment from what I can see

Yeah Revolut doesn't handle faster payments for example.

And didn' know they were included in the scheme!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

Revolut have had proper current accounts for a while now. You can also open up accounts in other currencies. I've currently got GBP and EUR (this article is a little old, was when they released GBP but before the EUR/USD one: http://news.revolut.com/post/156938742072/introducing-revolut-current-accounts)

Previously it was a current account which you had to put a reference in, but now you get your own sort code, account number, iban etc.

Soldato
There are a raft of changes coming in soon™ with open banking that will allow you to use API that should enable to see your entire 'wealth' across all banks etc in 1 easy area..

Sui

Sui

Soldato
One issue with Starling I've found is that some forms of the SecurePay things at online checkout aren't enabled on Starlings cards at the moment, so they can't be used :(

Soldato
The old high street banks such as Natwest, Santander etc only display transactions in your account the day or two after the transaction took place. With the new event driven banks like Monzo and Starling, you get a notification almost immediately after using your card. They also have other nice features on their phone apps such as savings pots etc.

Monzo and Starling etc will also be batch driven. The difference is that they have a virtualised banking layer that sits on top which hides the background batching behind it. Reconciliations and batches will still be run regularly behind the scenes, but the customer experience is far superior.

Soldato
Revolut have had proper current accounts for a while now. You can also open up accounts in other currencies. I've currently got GBP and EUR (this article is a little old, was when they released GBP but before the EUR/USD one: http://news.revolut.com/post/156938742072/introducing-revolut-current-accounts)

Previously it was a current account which you had to put a reference in, but now you get your own sort code, account number, iban etc.
Unfortunately they don't offer the full range of current account options though such as direct debits, faster payments etc

Soldato
Few updates

Starling now have a website where you can make a payment, I know it's not PayM but it's a start. If you access the website from an Apple Device you can pay via Apple Pay too.
https://settleup.starlingbank.com/<username>

Curve changed their T&Cs so that your rewards expire after six months. Not a big issue if you shop at the rewards partners all the time otherwise it sounds like a bit of a waste. On the other hand they're also switching to a debit card which is more widely accepted so that should help with any rejected payments.

Back
Top Bottom