Moon, Venus & Jupiter Pics

Associate
i tried but i'm to far in town and surrounded my lights, would be rubbish, i just finished work so jupiter is now to low and i ain't driving 20 miles outside town to get a pic!

Really good view of Moon and Venus right now though!

box

box

Associate
Last night:

6872528926_166985049f_z.jpg

6872528864_f39fdf337f_z.jpg

Associate
well the only night which i had clear skie was last week and only manage to get a shot of the moon. but if i get some clear skie next few days i try to get some shot of jupiter and venus. so for now here my moon shot from last week

7050672497_94b445f5ca_b.jpg

did i little post processing to pull out the colours a little abit

here same shot but with some HDR Toning and hyper Saturation add to it.

still little new to hyper saturation and HDR Toning so their a blue and orange edge to the photo.

Associate
i hook my Eos 550d up to my 600mm telescope and added a 1.4x teleconvertor to increase the focal lenght.

{Canon 550d>Kenko 1.4x dgx 300 pro>dslr max>extention tube(spacer)>eveostar 80ED Ds - pro}

focal lenght: 840mm
apecture: f/10.5
Shutter speed: 1/125 - 1/400
iso:100/200

at some point i'm hoping to get the bits and piece's i need to hook up my 550d to my other telescope which is much more powerfull (Meade etx 125pe) focal length of 1900mm

Last edited:
Associate
ok i manage to setup the telescope and hook up the camera to it few hours ago. now i only took two shots as one never try taking shots of the planet and stars only the moon so still trying to figure out the setting for planet and star. as for the picture when i look throught the viewfinder on the camera i couldn't see anything so it took two blind shots at 1 and 5 seconds exposure. so when i used the zoom function on camera to view images their were some stars and what i think is possible mars, venus and jupiter so got very very lucky but i won't know what i got for sure until i download the images to my mac for processing so i try and get them on here sometime tomorrow.

might be saturn instead of mars. but i know for sure tomorrow when i download photo's to mac for processing to weather or not i got planet or some random thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pentax 105SDP (Apo telescope, 670mm fl, f/6.38) with a 2x power mate giving 1340mm f/12. Unguided, 3 second exposure with an ATIK 383L but downsized to 800x600 from 8MP. Used a Baader neodymium filter:
moon_downsized.png

Usually planets are too bright for the 383 as it's designed for longer exposures. This was so early in in the phase at it didn't saturate.

Jupiter, unguided using same scope & 2x with just an ATIK Titan (650x450 resolution) for high frame rate (~17fps, 1/10,000 sec exp) giving ~700 frames stacked in registax 5.1. Again, a neodymium filter. Cropped at native res:

jupiter_final_cropped.png

Last edited:
Soldato
From last night - all I had was my 12-24

sunset moonrise part 2 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

The three stars in a horizontal line on the left is orions's belt then take the left most star and down is M42 nebula (the diagonal line to stars). Middle-right (just above the moon) is M45 (the little group of stars). The orange star above orion's belt is Betelgeuse - which should be going bang shortly.. (nice colour btw!)

You could build yourself a barn door tracker (just two pieces of wood, a hinge and a motor moving at a predetermined rate) which would give you a little longer exposure time before the stars trail.

Lastly the pattern you have from the moon is from the iris.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kids, don't try this at home! Here's a sun spot whilst we're deviating from planets! :D
sunspot.png

Same scope at 1340mm with the little Titan running a white light solar film filter. Not quite as good as a tricked-out Lunt but I got the filter for £10 :D

Back
Top Bottom