Mopeds!

Soldato
Hi
I'm after to get a moped (Well... i need one), what do i need?
Do i need a provisional?
How much is insurance (im 17... no car etc)?
Tax etc?

How much a month would i need to run it?

How much is a good moped? would £200-300 ish be enough to cover one?

Cheers

Soldato
you'll need a provisioanl car license with motorbike entitlement (it's a tick box when you get the lic) and you'll need to complete a CBT course. this should allow you to ride a motorbike of limited power under L plates for a few years, exact details in one of the stickies.

£200 - £300 might get you amoped but it will be trashed / old at that price point not that that really matters. If you can deal with gears / clutch a 125 bike may well be a better option, CG125s and similar are about that price point when old and battered. insurance will be more than that I'd suspect.

HT

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks.
I only really need it to get to work/back.

How much is insurance (approx)?

I did a quick quote online and it was about 360 a month. Is this about right? Expensive/cheap etc ( i know its a bit hard to answer this question but meh)

Soldato
360 a MONTH! is stupid!

try ebike insurance for some quotes, i would consider a bigger budget if possible for the bike itself, another £200 will get you something quite nice and about 5-6 years old. There are some 125 twist and go's around if you want to look around for something with a bit more poke to it.

Tax will be £15 for 12 months for anything thats 125cc or lower.

Soldato
I really like bikes and as of the moment (17) am still in sixth form so I cant afford a car. I want to get an XR or similar just really put off by other road users, any other motorcyclists got any words of wisdom etc, (I know the XR with its beasty 12break isnt exactly A speed demon).

(not trynig to hijack your thread I am in the same situation as you :p )

Soldato
OP
lukechad said:
360 a MONTH! is stupid!

try ebike insurance for some quotes, i would consider a bigger budget if possible for the bike itself, another £200 will get you something quite nice and about 5-6 years old. There are some 125 twist and go's around if you want to look around for something with a bit more poke to it.

Tax will be £15 for 12 months for anything thats 125cc or lower.

Sorry meant 360 a year (sorry!)

Not really bothered about a nice moped as long as it works. I'll look a bit crap on any moped tbh :)

Soldato
Rich1988 said:
sweet bike :p :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-AP-50-...oryZ9808QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a nice first moped :) cheap atm too, its a nice bike seen it in person.

i used to have that moped to trash :p . i ripped a mate off and sold it for 200 quid ( was worth nothing at time). He then gave me his peugeot trekker 50 off road. it had no MOT or TAX and it didnt even run.

i got the engine running. I MOTd and TAXd, all sorted out then sold it for another 200 quid to someone local :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-TREKK...62540465QQcategoryZ122301QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats the trekker 50 off road version.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scooters are soooo much fun :D

I had a gilera runner sp 50 and she was a beast *lies*

I put a Gianelli ZX Power Pipe on it, went quite a bit nippier then, but one day it just conked out on me, it has become very nice before it conked out.

I walked it to the bike shop he took off the head and it was scrambled piston ring lol, small end bearing broke and the bits knackered the piston rings which then meant i lost all compression thus dead bike...

Worst part was bits went into the crank casing :o meaning a full engine rebuild (split the casing in half etc) costing £430 !!! :eek:

Bike cost £800 but i needed it to go to work on every day :)

Soldato
Well i've been on the road about 3 months now. This what I paid

CBT + Hire of bike (if you use your own bike insurance companies will add on quite a lot if you tell them u havent taken your CBT yet) = £125
Sym City Hopper W reg = £350
Helmet = £65
Jacket = £100
Gloves = £25
Waterproof trouser (um things)? £10
Then I had the bike serviced and new back tire = £80
Insurance = £220
Tax = £15
Oil = £6

Don't think theres much else?

Im Only 16 so insurance might be different for you?

Mark

Soldato
Chronicle said:
So I'll need a moped, helmet, and provisional?
Then i get the CBT thing? Is that it?
How much for provisional and CBT course?

ye. CBT is about 120 quid (if no one has mentioned it)

it will be wise to get a decent jacket and glove too. make sure you leave about 100 quid to spare just in case.

this is what i got for my bike

jacket -70 quid
helmet -125 quid
glove -free (was given as b day prezzie)
oil -24 quid and still growing
petrol -god knows
delivery -50quid
insurerance -270quid
breakdown cover -47quid

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
MarkLP said:
Well i've been on the road about 3 months now. This what I paid

CBT + Hire of bike (if you use your own bike insurance companies will add on quite a lot if you tell them u havent taken your CBT yet) = £125
Sym City Hopper W reg = £350
Helmet = £65
Jacket = £100
Gloves = £25
Waterproof trouser (um things)? £10
Then I had the bike serviced and new back tire = £80
Insurance = £220
Tax = £15
Oil = £6

Don't think theres much else?

Im Only 16 so insurance might be different for you?

Mark

Are gloves/jacket/trousers really needed? (saying this from a really n00bish view... so sorry if it seems... very... noobish ...i've never really thought about it before. Won't just jeans and a normal coat be ok? Not like you're going very fast)

Do you have to get a provisional before the CBT? And how long does it take to do the CBT?
Thanks

Soldato
OP
shimy182 said:
not by law. but i really to recommend gloves and a protective jacket.

you got to get provisional licence first. then CBT, thats a day unless you dont pass. they provide you with everything
How easy is it to pass?
And also, how long does it take to get a provisional license (from when you send it off)?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Mopeds rock. I've got a 125 Vespa which you can ride with a CBT.

Costs as above except for one other very important thing. Spend about £100 on a BIG ASS D-lock and a very chunky chain. That has worked much better than theft insurance for me.

Back
Top Bottom