More RAM or dummy RGB RAM - Advice please ?

Associate
Got 2x8GB RGB 3600mhz Vengeance today and very happy with it.

Obviously I have 4 slots ( 2 left ) and wondering whether it would be best ( for RGB sake ) to get 2x Dummy RAM for £30. Or get some real RAM for £100 ( 2x8GB )

I know i'd never use above 8GB anyway as I only game ( even cyberpunk only uses 50% of my 16GB ram at the most )
So it would probably be best to just get the dummy RGB ram as I won't need any extra RAM anyway ?

Any advice ?

Man of Honour
There's potential for 4 sticks to lower your overclock on cpu or memory, so if you're sure you don't need, I'd leave it be.

Associate
At least you are less likely to have memory issues, especially if you run your pc 24/7. Stepping up from 16gb to 32gb for me wasn't noticeable aside from some badly optimised games with memory leaks, but now with WFH.. Happy to have my 32gb and my 2 monitors.

Soldato
I wish I had the option of adding another two sticks. I bought these 3 weeks ago and now I can't find them anywhere! Closest I can get is the 3600 Mhz version but I don't think I want to gamble that I can get them to match the frequency of original two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know you're not supposed to mix and match but even though my RAM aren't all from one kit it's ok right? One pack of 2x8 and another pack of 2x8...
According to BIOS and task manager it's running at 3600mhz

All the RAM have the same model number, speed, latency, size, brand etc

Associate
I know you're not supposed to mix and match but even though my RAM aren't all from one kit it's ok right? One pack of 2x8 and another pack of 2x8...
According to BIOS and task manager it's running at 3600mhz

All the RAM have the same model number, speed, latency, size, brand etc
It will be fine as long as the furthest you go is XMP with regards to overclocking, at least on Intel. Having different batches, means it's a pita to overclock and get matching timings.

Associate
OP
It will be fine as long as the furthest you go is XMP with regards to overclocking, at least on Intel. Having different batches, means it's a pita to overclock and get matching timings.

Ok thanks ! Yeah not interested in overclocking, I use XMP profile.

XMP is basically a setting to make the RAM run as fast as it safely can, right ?

Man of Honour
Ok thanks ! Yeah not interested in overclocking, I use XMP profile.

XMP is basically a setting to make the RAM run as fast as it safely can, right ?
The memory manufacturer sell it to run at that speed and they'll replace it, if it can't. But, XMP is not guaranteed by anybody, because it's technically overclocking the CPU and motherboard.

Associate
Yep, is generally (at least in my experience) the easiest overclock to do, activate it in bios and forget it.
Just bear in mind you may get slower memory speeds depending on your motherboard if you're using 4 sticks as opposed to 2. You can check with your motherboard specs, and the ram vendor for specifics.

Back
Top Bottom