Mortal Engines (2018)

Caporegime
HAhahaah!?

Just watched it today and its a very predictable and unoriginal, cliche, kids movie.
Ok it is "original" but the plot, characters, themes oh my god they are so done to death.

I still enjoyed it but take it for what it is. Its a truly fascinating concept/world but the way they made it cheesed it out for me, but im not a 15-year-old boy so! what do i know!?

Worth a watch but i feel bad for Steve Jackson et al.

Soldato
Taken from the weekly movie earning thread on Reddit:

Mortal Engines - You know someone I was talking to on Reddit said "well soon we'll see the biggest bomb of the year with Mortal Engines." And I said, "well it will be hard to top Robin Hood which opened to $9.1M on a $100M budget which is coincidentally the same budget as Mortal Engines." Well, Peter Jackson and Christian Rivers, those madlads actually did it as Mortal Engines snuck in at the last minute to be the biggest bomb of the year opening at #5 with a measly $7.5M. Ouch. The film directed by Rivers but produced and spearheaded by Jackson was based on a wild YA novel about giant cities on wheels eating each other. If that sounds like an unmarketable premise well...yeah it kind of was. This film just had no idea how to sell itself with most of its imagery focusing around a young girl with a red kerchief mask over her face...EXCITING! Internationally the film is not fairing much better, scoring less that $1M openings in many countries. The only film going for it seems to be Russia which has at least given it $4.8M. But as of now Universal is expected to lose $100M on this film. This is just a complete disaster of a film on every possible box office metric.

Ouch indeed.

Soldato
Terrible time to release it as well, got Aquaman and Spiderman just released filling the 'geek' market and then next week Mary Poppins will fill the entire multiplex screenings up then it'll be gone!

Saw the film yesterday, found the first half quite fun but to be honest it just became a bit of a Star Wars on wheels knock off in the second!

Caporegime
Terrible time to release it as well, got Aquaman and Spiderman just released filling the 'geek' market and then next week Mary Poppins will fill the entire multiplex screenings up then it'll be gone!

Saw the film yesterday, found the first half quite fun but to be honest it just became a bit of a Star Wars on wheels knock off in the second!

LOL! So true.

It even has the

I am your father.

line

Soldato
Taken from the weekly movie earning thread on Reddit:

Ouch indeed.
That person seems to have an axe to grind. As soon as people starting saying the "b" word things start getting blown out of proportion.

Why is the writer there comparing opening weekend takings to the film's budget? It's already made $43m worldwide so it's on it's way to recouping any loss. Still to open in China which will surely help big time -- they love that sort of thing over there.

It obviously hasn't done well at all but I don't think anyone is worried. It's the sort of film where many fingers are in the pie (money-wise) so it's hardly likely Universal will be losing all of that $100m. And studios are actually quite clever about how they date films, putting it next to Aquaman and Spiderman was probably an intentional move if they knew it was going to underperform.

Permabanned
Watched this with the boy the other day, he read the book and was excited to see it, I had no idea what it was about.

Its ludicrous dross, poor characters, silly "engines", bog standard plot that steals from many other stories. Some ok action I guess so 4/10.

Back
Top Bottom