Mortgage: How many properties did you look before..

Soldato
House prices fell by 1.3% in 2011 (before inflation so in real terms lost more like 5% of their value). Perfectly likely to do similar this year, or more as unemployment is likely to rise and the economy is projected to perform worse this year than last. That would mean losing £3250. Also consider the lost interest on your savings £750 (£25k at 3%). There's a loss of £4k before you even think about the interest you're paying in the first year ~£9450 (4.2% on £225k) and any legal fees you end up paying.

Is buying now really worth it when waiting a year you could probably buy a similar property for less, your deposit would be larger and as a result your payments would be lower. Alternatively, you might be able to afford a 25 or 20 year loan instead of 30 years (which really is crazy in my opinion!) and save tens of thousands in interest and probably be able to afford to retire a few years earlier.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Possibly but how long to wait?2013? 2014? etc etc. Cant wait forever surely? when the recession began, people said it will be over in a few years, wher enow in 2012 and still the same.

Also, house prices dotn fall much around london. some increase! dont forget im buying in london, its a lot different outside london

Soldato
House prices fell by 1.3% in 2011 (before inflation so in real terms lost more like 5% of their value). Perfectly likely to do similar this year, or more as unemployment is likely to rise and the economy is projected to perform worse this year than last. That would mean losing £3250. Also consider the lost interest on your savings £750 (£25k at 3%). There's a loss of £4k before you even think about the interest you're paying in the first year ~£9450 (4.2% on £225k) and any legal fees you end up paying.

Is buying now really worth it when waiting a year you could probably buy a similar property for less, your deposit would be larger and as a result your payments would be lower. Alternatively, you might be able to afford a 25 or 20 year loan instead of 30 years (which really is crazy in my opinion!) and save tens of thousands in interest and probably be able to afford to retire a few years earlier.

Depends on the area. Our area is doing nicely...

Soldato
Quality. seems like if my dream house is the first i see or the 100th one i see i should grab it

You know as soon as you walk in. If you have to spend too much time thinking or studying, it is not 'the one'.

It's funny... once you find 'the one', you'll realise that you will probably have spent more time looking at and considering cars!

Associate
First one i saw was 210k. Didn't like the decor kitchen, bathroom and walked on to see another 10 before coming back to the first because i liked the location. A chat to the estate agent said, it had been views many times but no offers. Did some maths with me dad (a builder) and decided to offer 192K which was accepted giving me 18K to redecorate, take walls down, replaster, new carpets flooring, kitchen and bathroom. Took 4 months but now 6 years on and i am still loving it :)

Soldato
3 bedrooms and a conservatory for 250k?! Is it in a city centre?! I'm looking at the same thing in Chesterfield and its £100k my parents house is 5 bedrooms, double garage and in an expensive area and it's only worth £400k

Soldato
OP
3 bedrooms and a conservatory for 250k?! Is it in a city centre?! I'm looking at the same thing in Chesterfield and its £100k my parents house is 5 bedrooms, double garage and in an expensive area and it's only worth £400k

that aimed at me? Well its 270k but someone offered 250k for it already and it has a conservatory, 3 bedrooms and a attic.

its 30mins overground train joruney time from that area to London liverpool street.

Its a nice area. i am already living in this area with my dad at the moment. Lots of greenary around here. basically near epping forest

Soldato
I looked at probably about 100 on Rightmove. About 10 in person, before I found "the one". Once I found a development I really liked, I put a flyer together and posted it through 100 letter boxes to see if anyone wanted to sell. Two weeks later I got a call :cool: Not having an estate agent involved was sheer bliss.

I found Rightmove to be a very good tool for saving a lot of wasted journeys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom