Most Awesome Job Interview. Ever!

Soldato
You all know, I'm in China, I was homeless had no money for a while but decided to stick it out and sort it out, as opposed to going home and being a nervous wreck.

Today I went for a job interview at a Language center in the heart of Shenzhen. Shekou. This is a very modern and nice part of Shenzhen. Not traditional at all. Just like any major city you go to.

My new apartment is not far from there, so the job position is perfect.

Now, after arriving at this place I met the English Department Manager. He's a British guy from Cambridge and we spoke about the job and it was all well and good. Then he said we should go speak to the boss, the 'main man'. This main man is a typical American he told me. Loud and proud. I thought 'Oh god', but I went to see him.

I walk in the room and he gives me a cigarette (Yeh yeh, shoot me) and he just sits back in his chair and then says, in the loud American way 'Sooooooo PHILLLLL, I've heard about you, tell me about yourself'. So I went on to explain my creative hobbies, language learning, guitar playing...

... and he cut me short, 'Guitar? Really?', I reply 'Yeh, sure. Been playing for 5 years', and he proceeds to scream and say 'Wow, check this **** out... I recorded this a few days ago'. So, in this 'interview' he turns his office stereo system up really loud and I listen to his song, which was pretty awesome actually.

So, it turns out this boss runs the English center and he told me 'Look, I don't like all the boring, dull and depressing formal crap. If you work here, you just kick back, do the job 110% and teach English. It's not rocket science'...

Then...

'You know, this is an English center but guess what? I have a recording studio for music and video in here' and he showed me them. It's all hi-tech stuff and he's trying to implement the whole company into the digital era. Here is where I got excited and I told him I was very knowledgeable in Design, Web Development and that I'm a very creative person. He was very happy about this. :D

I gave him some advice and pointers in terms of their website and general logo appearance. They're also making a book which I gave advice on. Anyway, the company is rich and the boss man appears to have loved me. I mean, he was as creative as I and we just sat there and spoke about all sorts of stuff for about an hour.

So then he gets up, shakes my hand and says 'Well, I like you and we want to hire someone THIS week, so I will get in touch' then proceeded to give me his card incase I needed to contact him.

This was all setup by the British guy who said he would help me, as a favour. So, considering the favour and the fact I fit right into this guys 'company dream', I am quite confident I will get this job. I neeeeeeeed it. It sounds so awesome.

It's adults learning English. You sit down and discuss a topic, language details and just generally chat. Two classes per day with two days off per week (weekly schedule which changes).

If I don't get this, I think I will actually go to McDonalds and eat a load of crap with a big depressed look on my face. Then try again. :p

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Don't get your hopes up :p

Nah, seriously, if your tale of adventure is anything to go by, I'd be pretty confident too.

Good luck and I hope you get it.

Associate
Good luck getting the job matey, I bet your jaw dropped at how the interview was going :D just a pity most interviews dont go the same way over here :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Very tough. Even if I get this job, money will be a real problem until the end of March when everything gets back to my normal rich self. But this time around, I will be making an effort to save incase I need it. Something I didn't do before!

Remember kids, always expect to be fired for no reason! :p

Soldato
Ive been following your ups and downs in the land of China, and im genuinly happy for you. Everything happens for a reason, and hopefully this job is the reason why the last few weeks have gone how they have. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Soldato
Good%20Luck%20Text.gif

Soldato
OP
I should know by tomorrow. My 'British Informant' has told me the boss is concerned about my age (I'm 22 and look very young) 'cause the job is teaching adults who are serious about English. Especially Business English as it is for their careers. However, he said 'it will be ok'.

So, tomorrow will make me or break me. :p

Oh, and it must be said that despite the fact I look young. Actually, to be honest, I look about 20 but I guess it's still a concern for them. Anyway, despite that, I'm pretty damn good and confident and what I do and I know I can do it very well.

It's just a matter of convincing 10 Chinese business people the same thing, during class! :p

Students are aged from 20 to 50. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent news mate. As someone up there^ said, it really has been a rollercoaster ride hasnt it. We're all rooting for ya! :)

Btw, what happened to your blog? Did the Chinese government not like your rants and finally track you down or something? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom