Most reliable motherboards

Soldato
OK

Update OCUK cant get the gamer 9,8 or 7 so this totaly sucks Asus cant do this surely its down to them to actually supply a board one way or another?
This is the LAST TIME I USE ASUS.

So now I either choose a mother board OCUK have which nowt matches what I had price wise or spec wise or opt for a refund which I will loose money due to it being a year old...yes one day over a year it dies and Asus wont do nowt other than refund part of what I paid TBH I am almost scared to ask how much that actually would be :(

Last edited:
Soldato
not gonna lie Asus can go swivel LOL

bailey is on it though he is looking into the gamer 9 B grade u have for me
Thanks 8 pack though appriciate the reply.

I know its not OCUK`s fault but TBH I find it mad Asus leaves you lot with the RMA issues etc.

Soldato
I have also been a fan of Asus in the past, but they do seem to have been cutting corners in recent generations. They were also rather slow with the BIOS updates for Spectre. Their mATX offerings have really dropped off, it seems that with each chipset the current high-end board is axed. So we have gone from Maximus Gene (Z170), to Strix (Z270/Z370), to TUF (Z390). I think I will give Asrock a go next time.

The general trend across the manufacturers is to load their boards up with RGB and plastic trimmings, rather than focus on doing the fundamentals well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I am gutted about the Asus board I had it looked awesome,feature rich,loved the BIOS GUI etc but ummm there RMA is terrible and basicaly leaves OCUK to deal with the flak.

Which I might add did an amazeing job TBH love ya OCUK :)

Associate
Still got 2 Asus P8Z68-V boards with 2500k chips working with overclocks, I can see one of the chips on some cores are getting quite warm but the other is fine, tried new paste and reseat to check but still the same. But apart from that all good, both machines have chewed through 2 GFX cards each If I recall.
#still going as spares

Soldato
ASUS used to be a top manufacturer, unfortunately ASUS DGAF about end users and seem to be happy to alienate them with the most appalling RMA process i’ve ever had the misfortune to use, now I just don’t bother.

ASROCK or Gigabyte are generally better bets now, if something does go wrong the RMA process isn’t as horrific.

Associate
I see a lot of people moaning about the power arrangement and more importantly the Bios on X370 Gigabyte boards... but I can't quite see how some quantify
results they get because I don't have any problems with 2 Identical X370 K7 Boards, yet people call them garbage blah,blah,blah.
They are not plug and play boards is all I can say, as long as you are willing to put the time in there will be reward. Does the voltage sink ? yup it sure does, is that hurting loosing me any speed gain... yes maybe 100mhz with the small amount of droop (I just use a slightly higher voltage to compensate). As for a currupt bios ???????? WHAT! Cold boot problems ? yes if you try to push the Memory to far. In all fairness atm I'm quite happy using 2 of them with maybe upto 50 hours work on both to get them to play nice.
I think a lot of the blame must lay with bad IMC and cheap memory.

Just for the record we had a brand new Asus GTX 1060 in one of those machines which broke inside a week, I bought Asus 'cus I also thought it was the Best!
Asus need to work out the RMA issue, takes far to long.

Soldato
This is why I refused an Asus replacement as it took over the 28 days so was offered a refund or exchange I went Gigabyte....Thank you OCUK you truly are all about the customer.

Any way its a shame because Asus makes amazeing stuff

Looks awesome
Love the BIOS

But its the RMA and customer service that is totaly rubbish.

Soldato
This is why I refused an Asus replacement as it took over the 28 days so was offered a refund or exchange I went Gigabyte....Thank you OCUK you truly are all about the customer.

Any way its a shame because Asus makes amazeing stuff

Looks awesome
Love the BIOS

But its the RMA and customer service that is totaly rubbish.

ASUS havent made amazing stuff in the 25 years I used them (486? onwards) they were always competitive, but usually at a premium. What’s changed is the number of variations they pump out and branding/marketing of the differences in what is usually a very similar product. People are suckers for a bit of black/grey/red with a fancy heatsink with an RGB set-up.

In fairness I got a stupidly cheap deal on a C6H when I did my launch Ryzen build, but I went in knowing that if it died, the RMA process wasn’t viable for me, but at the time a Thai-Chi was twice the price and... pretty lights and... grey/red colour scheme and... a 3D printable heatsink template with RGB glow were all too much for me to say ‘No’ to. I feel dirty, like we should start getting #MeTooASUS trending for everyone thats suffered inappropriate RMA’s at the ‘hands’ of ASUS.

Soldato
There was a big stink a few years back with an online retailer that was rejecting all RMA boards for having bent CPU pins regardless of the fault they where returned for.

Don't know if anyone knows who i'm referring too or what happened as it all went quiet?

Soldato
I really like my gigabyte z170 ... Really liked the Asus p35 I had before it too ..

I tend to buy midrange boards though as long as they have a good chipset and the features I want I tend to choose whatever is cheapest.

UK rma and support is a big plus for gigabyte and when I emailed them regarding a board that I damaged they were helpful. So I wouldn't hesitate to get another gigabyte.

Back
Top Bottom