Most you'd spend unseen?

Soldato
There's a car on eBay I fancy bidding on, but there's no way I could get and look at it before the auction ends. It sounds good, but I don't think I could fork out cash on a car I have never laid eyes on, no matter how good it sounds:eek:.

So, what's the most you have risked on the 'bay and was it worth it in the end? :D

Permabanned
Take a printout of the advert with you - if there are any negative points not mentioned in the advert, use them as a bargaining tool or just walk away - you are not obligated to buy if the item is not as advertised.

*n

Soldato
I bought my VR6 unseen. Was a pile of ****.

To be fair I did only pay 1K which puts my mind at ease. And she is a bit nippy :D. Just needed loads of repairs when I got it, deffo not as advertised.

Unfortunately I have "shiny metal syndrome" so I buy it anyway even if I have a bad feeling somewhere inside!

Soldato
volospian said:
There's a car on eBay I fancy bidding on, but there's no way I could get and look at it before the auction ends. It sounds good, but I don't think I could fork out cash on a car I have never laid eyes on, no matter how good it sounds:eek:.

So, what's the most you have risked on the 'bay and was it worth it in the end? :D

With good intentions, the only reason not to bid on an eBay car is fear of negative feedback if you decide not to complete the sale. If this decision is taken simply because the car is not in the condition advertised, and you prefer not to risk negative feedback, then why not just set up a new account?

To answer your question, £60 on a SNES on eBay, and £100 on a Sky+ 160 box on OcUK...

Man of Honour
I sort of bought the 530i unseen. The guy supplied with me with dozens of high res photos, detailed description of everything, so I made him offer over email and he accepted, subject to viewing.

Went, looked at car, found it better than even the photos showed, gave him pile of cash.

I see no reason why it isnt similar doing it via Ebay.

Soldato
technicaly bourght my bike unseen,although I got a good description knowing that if it differed from this substancially I could tell him to **** off and it wasa wasted trip. Turns out it had knackered tyres, but it was still uber cheap so I bourght it anyway! Turns out he was a pleb, when I got it home all sorts were loose, no tool kit etc.... but what can I say, I paid a grand less than it was worth and fundamentaly it was in mint condition, with no miles on the clock!

I'd never pay without looking, but in terms of auction site ones I buy then pay after I have seen them. done it a couple of times.

If they describe it incorrectly its their problem!

Soldato
I went to look at a Stag that was BIN for 3.5k. I just rang the guy up, said "I'm interested if it's as described" and he gave me first refusual - without removing it off eBay, which kept it clean for both of us.

Of course, when I got there it'd been driven into a lamp-post and nuked its PS pump, so I thanked him and walked away.

But yes, just ring the guy up and see what options there are. If you're willing to pay relisting fees, it's worth a dabble even if you loose 30 quid. At least you'll get a poke around it.

I've only bought unseen (totally) twice, both in the region of 600-1000 quid, walked away from both just about OK. Didn't make much money on either, mind...

Not that Blue Scim is it? :p

Last edited:
Associate
[TW]Fox said:
I sort of bought the 530i unseen. The guy supplied with me with dozens of high res photos, detailed description of everything, so I made him offer over email and he accepted, subject to viewing.

Went, looked at car, found it better than even the photos showed, gave him pile of cash.

I've sort of done the same thing; I spotted a car I was interested in on a Forum that I visit. After speaking to the guy selling the car via email we decided on the price and agreed to sort the final details over the phone. I spoke with the guy yesterday on the phone and he sounded like a decent guy who knew his stuff so I should be collecting the car in a couple of weeks.

Personally, as long as I get to have a good look at the car before handing over the money I can’t see the problem. I think you’ve got just as much chance of being ripped of by someone selling with an advert in the newspaper or by a trader. As long as you wear your sensible head you should walk away from the deal with a smile.

Soldato
I bought my first MR2 turbo unseen. Paid £7000 for it based on the description that it was absolutely immaculate (was still in Japan at this point)

When it eventually arrived it was a total shed, not worth £3000 so I demanded my money back and went and bought my black MR2.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

Exactly what I did with the Clio.

Saw it advertised, mailed the guy with an offer subject to me driving up the next day to view, he said fine.

Soldato
OP
I know I could get out of it if it's not as advertised, but it's the risk of travelling for a couple of hours, seeing a pos, telling the seller where to get off and then risking childish negative feedback from a disgruntled seller.

Negative points not mentioned on the description can be a matter of opinion. "period patina" can mean anything from dull paint with minor heat cracks to flaking paint requiring a full re-spray. "A few blisters" can mean the vinyl roof looking like the surface of the moon.

If the seller decides the chassis is "solid" and you reckon it's full of fibreglass bodgings covered with underseal you have a watsed trip and risk all the nuisance of dealing with a peed off seller.

It's not so much to do with the risk of losing your money. I suppose it's more "how much is my time worth" and "how much do I mind paying for something I'm not entirely happy with" as once you are there, as some people have said, you can often go "Oh, well, it's not exactly what I expected, but what the hell" especially if the price is low.

Anyway, it's finished now, and no, it wasn't a blue scimitar :)

Soldato
Bought my old 214 unseen, £530.

Like Fox, the car turned out to be so much better than it looked in the photos.

The eBay advert was clearly written, stating all known faults (none :D - impressive for a Rover eh guys) and the seller was quick to answer my questions.

Soldato
When I bought my GTIR, I handed over about £3k for 6 pictures of it. Bought direct from auction in Japan. Spent out another £2K before finally picking it up 3 months later.

Nothing untoward when it turned up :)

Back
Top Bottom