Motherboard 12v via molex safe?

Associate
Just got myself a bigger case and the 4 pin 12v motherboard connector is about 3cm too short, is it safe to this this molex to 4 pin adapter I have instead? Cant claim to have any knowledge about how power is distributed inside the PSU. I think the 570w psu is fairly loaded being an i7 and 8 disks if it makes a difference?

erznus.jpg

Associate
OP
Trust dual fan 570w

Its a acts mainly a server and doesnt have a graphics which needs extra power before somepoint points out I should upgrade instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't trust that PSU but seeing as you've already had it in use suggests it can cope with the demand, at least for now.

Extension is preferable over a Molex. However the amount of power a 4 pin can carry vs a Molex is not that different so it's really your call.

Order the extension but use the Molex in the meantime is what I'd do.

OcUK Staff
I see no reason why the molex adapter would make any difference. They both carry 12v after all. However I would still get an extension purely for aesthetic purposes. :)

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't run it for any significant length of time. The standard 4-pin connector has two 12v lines (yellow cables), whilst by connecting via the Molex you're drawing all the power from one 12v cable. I don't know how much power a single 12v line within a Molex can safely carry, but there must be a reason why the 4-pin connector uses two sets.

Associate
I see no reason why the molex adapter would make any difference. They both carry 12v after all. However I would still get an extension purely for aesthetic purposes. :)

Voltage is almost irrelevant tbh it's the currant capacity (amps) the cable is suitable to carrying without getting warm you need to be thinking about. Thicker metal for higher amps thicker insulation for higher voltage.

Back
Top Bottom