Motherboard fan headers

Soldato
I'm not sure this applies to all newer motherboards or just the specific one I have.

These days, motherboard manufacturers tend to cluster most of the fan headers in one or two locations to make your build look less cluttered.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/02/26/msi-meg-x570-unify-motherboard-review/2/

On the MSI MEG Unify X570 there are CPU fan and pump fan headers near the top of the board. All good for push pull on my Noctua U14.

Two system fan headers near the bottom of the board
Three system fan headers near the top right of the board

I have a rear exhaust fan at the top, blowing hot our out from CPU HSF push pull. On my current board there is a system fan header just above the GPU which reaches it perfectly.

The cable on my rear fan (only exhasut fan) doesnt look long enough to reach the bottom or upper right of the board

Is this normal now a days on motherboard to have no upper middle board fan header?
What options do I have? - extension cable / remove the fan all together

edit - I checked and it'll read to the top right headers easily

Last edited:
Associate
The three fan header groups, (top, near 24 pin power, bottom) seems to be standard now.
Your choices are either an extension cable or steal one of cpu/pump headers, then Noctua can reach one on top right. Names don't matter, set the PWM tracking CPU temperature anyway.

Soldato
OP
you can set it up in bios to be a system fan... it doesn't matter where its connected...
your bios should let you choose
Sorry, that mean to say “it’ll reach up to the top right fan headers”
I had a trial run yesterday to also see if the new motherboard ram clearance next to hsf would be an issue. Luckily not

Back
Top Bottom