motherboard monoblock or not

Soldato
Um...what? The entire point of a monoblock is to include the VRMs as part of the cooling loop. So to what are you referring?

Depends on the chipset:

Now mono block in my opinion after a lot of testing are not good on this platform. Normal cpu block is better by far and this is what I advise all customers buying my bundles now. Really a good 10-15c worse on mono...

Test this by using your pc and report back.

Soldato
@Glanza : that's one specific monoblock with one specific board. Doesn't even say which monoblock, but since 8 Pack got involved I'd say it was the EK one since OcUK do a bundle.

There is no way VRMs left under their heatsink with ambient air could perform better than having a water-cooled coldplate directly attached to them IF the monoblock was working properly. Do we see the same issue when using Bitspower's Rampage VI Extreme monoblock? 8 Pack knows his stuff, but he's not infallible.

Did he test every RVIE in stock with every EK monoblock in stock? Did he see the same issues? Why then have EK not made a revision if their monoblock is evidently sub-par? What about other top-tier X299 motherboards and their monoblocks? Do they also have the same issue?

I'd pass this off as a specific case, not remotely representative of the board, the chipset or the monoblock.

Soldato
hi I'm getting OCuK to build me a watercooled pc and was wondering if a Monoblock is better, it's going to have 2 360 rads

Might be a bit late now but I had a similar issue with worse temps on a mono-block and delidded cpu. Since I got rid of the silicone the reduced height of the CPU meant there was poor contact. Went back to a normal cpu block now.

pc3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Might be a bit late now but I had a similar issue with worse temps on a mono-block and delidded cpu. Since I got rid of the silicone the reduced height of the CPU meant there was poor contact. Went back to a normal cpu block now.

Obviously when a monoblock is machined the company do not allow any adjustment for delidded cpu's.

When properly mounted on a cpu out of the box the monoblock performs very well as its just a bigger version of the supremacy evo.

Back
Top Bottom