Motherboard prices

Soldato
My previous two mobos were :

Maximus Hero in 2014 for £165.
Maximus Hero in 2017 for £250.

So i go to look today and a Hero is an eye watering £460.

Ok i get it there is inflation and raising costs but this is just seems to be rediculous.

Let me guess, for £165 these days you get a budget Mobo

Soldato

Ok i get it there is inflation and raising costs but this is just seems to be rediculous.

They are more expensive to make now than ever due to the faster pcie specs. The are saying all pcie 5.0 boards will be £100-150 more due to the costs of adding pcie 5.0. Then add ddr5.. Prices will be even more silly.

People are in for a real shock next upgrade.

Man of Honour
You can get a good motherboard for £100, £150 certainly, but the top-end prices are getting ridiculous, for sure.

Soldato
OP
They are more expensive to make now than ever due to the faster pcie specs. The are saying all pcie 5.0 boards will be £100-150 more due to the costs of adding pcie 5.0. Then add ddr5.. Prices will be even more silly.

People are in for a real shock next upgrade.

Doesnt look good if that is the case, will just have forget fancy Mobo`s going forward. It was nice while it lasted

Soldato
Here in Finland we have a saying: Stupid isn't the one who asks, but the one who pays. (the price)

Consumer masses are just constantly paying higher and higher brand/fashion etc overprices for zero benefit.

Soldato
OP
Here in Finland we have a saying: Stupid isn't the one who asks, but the one who pays. (the price)

Consumer masses are just constantly paying higher and higher brand/fashion etc overprices for zero benefit.

Well i am certainly not paying £460 for a Mobo thats for sure, i have started to look at what are the best options in the £200 - £250 range or i might just skip this CPU / Mobo generation and keep the i5-8600K for another couple of years

Soldato
Soldato
Yes that one looks good actually
It has actually one the strongest VRMs of all X570 boards.
Guess MSI afforded releasing it at low profit margin with most of their X570 range using garbage for board price copypasta VRM from £100 B450 boards.
Also MSI has the best X570 chipset cooler design and with good case cooling basically works passively.
(unlike Asus X570 boards with chipset HSF from arse of marketroids)

Associate

You can get some B550 motherboards around £150~£180 right now that swing with the top-end, as long as you can do without a few bells and whistles. B550 obviously only really suitable if you only have 1 PCIE 4.0 NVMe drive so you can keep your GPU at 16x. But 3.0 PCIE NVMe drives are still fast and most people will still find it costly to buy the superfast 4.0 NVMe drives. Let alone have 2 or more of them.

I picked up a B550 Unify X for like £160 and in terms of VRM and memory overclocking, it's up there in amongst best in class. I think the VRM is actually the absolute best on the market or equal to. Funny thing is I had a X570F Gaming mobo that died, which is why it was replaced and it didn't even have WiFi/BT built in whereas the Unify X does.

Some of the X570 boards while good, are a bit overpriced. Aesthetics over function with some of them as well, like paying stupid RGB-tax.

Associate
I picked up a B550 Unify X for like £160 and in terms of VRM and memory overclocking, it's up there in amongst best in class. I think the VRM is actually the absolute best on the market or equal to. Funny thing is I had a X570F Gaming mobo that died, which is why it was replaced and it didn't even have WiFi/BT built in whereas the Unify X does.

I'm personally torn between the Unify X and the X570 Tomahawk. I'd get the Unify easily but I keep reading people complaining about coil whine - have you experienced any?

Permabanned

Well, well...
The cheapest one that you can buy today is only 50 bucks.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £59.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

For sure, they are trolling us. Motherboards for as low as 50 and graphics cards with mediocre performance for 500.

Soldato
OP
Well, well...
The cheapest one that you can buy today is only 50 bucks.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £59.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

For sure, they are trolling us. Motherboards for as low as 50 and graphics cards with mediocre performance for 500.

Yes the budget segment seems to have remained mostly unchanged, which is great if your in the market for budget parts.

The high end mobos that were £165 7 years ago and now £460 is more the thing that grinds my gears

Soldato
Yes the budget segment seems to have remained mostly unchanged, which is great if your in the market for budget parts.

The high end mobos that were £165 7 years ago and now £460 is more the thing that grinds my gears
Probably because budget buyers are more savvy and spend time researching what boards are available for the best price that will do what they need whereas high end buyers care less about VFM and just spend more because they think more must be better so it's no wonder these manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Probably because budget buyers are more savvy and spend time researching what boards are available for the best price that will do what they need whereas high end buyers care less about VFM and just spend more because they think more must be better so it's no wonder these manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee.

Or they just buy any Mobo that works, dont care what a mobo can do because they are not interested in them and are likely not a PC building enthusiast. They probably have a cheap case, PSU, Keyboard and mouse to go with it i would imagine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or they just buy any Mobo that works, dont care what a mobo can do because they are not interested in them and are likely not a PC building enthusiast. They probably have a cheap case, PSU, Keyboard and mouse to go with it i would imagine.
A motherboard doesn't add any performance though so no point in overspending on one.

I have B450 tomahawk, 5800X and an RTX 3080 and I get just the same gaming experience as someone who brought a £400+ dark hero or aorus master with a 5800X and 3080.

Back
Top Bottom