Motherboard problems-Please help/advise

Soldato
Right, I will try to be brief.

MB Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx pro (Purchased OCUK some years ago)

Basically no boot.

There are a number of different scenarios. Sometimes I get a Dr Debug code 36 (This has happened on/off for some time but has never been a persistent problem)

But I am now into new territory not seen before....

Sometimes it boots to UEFI, but it cannot "see" any HDD.

If I boot from a Ubuntu USB, sometimes it will start up, but again it cannot see any HDD. I have checked that the HDD spin up so they seem to be getting power.

As yet I haven't tried anything else, But I will try removing/replacing the memory/CPU and perhaps trying to swap the memory to the other slots and see what happens.

So the questions.

#1 Can the HDD controller system fail leaving the rest of the MB working (More or less)? Is there any way of confirming this other than just trying a new MB??

#2 If I need a new MB, what are the implications regarding win10?

Of course it is an old AM3 system and AM3 MB's are becoming thin on the ground at OCUK. I am otherwise happy with the system for now and do not particularly want to go AM4 just yet (Especially since that would almost certainly deactivate my current win10, as I understand it, leading to yet more expense :( )

(Or maybe I should just bite the bullet here...:/ )

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Associate
I would try disconnecting as much as you can from the board to eliminate a failed drive causing the problem. Then clear the cmos and load optimised defaults.

Win 10 as an upgrade is linked to your mobo, but you can call Microsoft and get it reactivated if it is the same machine.

Associate
If you link your W10 to an MSN account (e.g. hotmail etc.) you can reinstall no problem and just tell it you had a hardware change (there's guides online). I was dubious about it working but I just upgraded from 990fx MB with FX8350 to a full Ryzen rig and it reactivated no problem!

Soldato
OP
well, I swapped the memory into the other slots and it is working now. but it is still clunky. So I think I am going to need a new MB.

How graceful is win 10 with a new MB? Will my existing disk boot up and sort itself out or will I have to make a clean install?

(Obviously I know a clean install would be best, but is it necessary, or is it something I can clean up later?)

Back
Top Bottom