Motherboard that support 2 x Aorus 1080 TI HELP HELP

Soldato
So this motherboard should be good ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31w-ms.html I not PC expert and I trying my best to understand all this thinks with PCIe and 16x 8x. I read on some other forums people say Nvidia cards only work on 16x 8x and it not work in 4x. I already have good motherboard Asus maximus Code I really like it, but this board have only 2 PCIe that support 2 cards in 8x but Aorus cards take almost 3 slots. So there is not enough airflow to first card. I run 3D Mark test with SLI for medium PC, temperature was 82C on first card on second i think it was 42 or higher. If I will run test for ultra PC I think I will overheat my first card.

the board will work fine, personally i prefer Asus and Gigabyte but in terms of that MSI board performing I can fault it.
The aorus's will sit in the 1st and 3rd slot with 1 slot of gap between them - board should come with SLi bridge for that gap as well.
Nvidia cards only work in lowest case x8 bandwidth- this limit has been in place for a long time. If you get board and want to research, Gen 2.0 PCIe SLi was also x8 & x8 bandwidth for SLi ... considering Gen 3 offers twice the performance, surprised nvidia didnt lax the requirements

also depends on your case, I had two Aorus 580 XTRs which do put out a lot of heat for what they are but was right next to 3 120mm front fans

an extreme food for thought

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £239.88
(includes shipping: £9.90)

if yoy like RGB and have the Xtreme version with the RGB backplate, the phanteks block is awesome!

again depends on your ability to watercool

Soldato
sorry, thought you said you already had the G1 ???

its the older gen and would have been EOL as well as being a very very expensive board at the time .

Their replacement is either

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £776.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

The SOC has the same spacing as the Code. He wants a motherboard with more spacing.

Soldato
The SOC has the same spacing as the Code. He wants a motherboard with more spacing.

yeah, as mentioned Gaming 9 . Apex would have been nice since hes already got a Code/Asus board but unfortunately only 2 dims :(

OP hasnt mentioned Case though, as few here and around the forums have run 2.5/3 slot coolers in SLi on boards like the Code/Soc/Carbon fine without the extra slot space provided they had a good case with airflow

Associate
OP

I not going to build water cooled system, as I don't have skills and knowledge how to do that. I will stick with Danny75 advice about motherboard (MSI Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium). I looked this board have all what I need and most important is spacing for cards and M.2 slots. I hope when I buy it I will be happy with final result. If you guys have any other advises I will be happy to hear them. Thank you all for your time and help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah, as mentioned Gaming 9 . Apex would have been nice since hes already got a Code/Asus board but unfortunately only 2 dims :(

OP hasnt mentioned Case though, as few here and around the forums have run 2.5/3 slot coolers in SLi on boards like the Code/Soc/Carbon fine without the extra slot space provided they had a good case with airflow

My Pc case is Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case - Black
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...tower-case-black-cc-9011035-ww-ca-157-cs.html

Soldato

have you seen the front panel Corsair do to improve the airflow in that case? theres on of the reasons for high temps. Having the spacing of the MSI board will help, but might not prove as effective as combining it with the Airflow front panel

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...tower-case-black-cc-9011078-ww-ca-207-cs.html

seems OCUK dont sell the panel but corsair does. This should greatly improve airflow to your Aorus cards and help push air into the one slot gap

Have you also placed both cages on the bottom or is one stacked on top of the other. again these hurt air flow to the GPUs.

also google that boards M.2 slots. Should be able to run 2 of the 3 m.2 slots as I think one of them turns the x8 PCIe lane to x4 to supply the m.2 its bandwidth :)

believe coffee lake solves this issue

Associate
OP
have you seen the front panel Corsair do to improve the airflow in that case? theres on of the reasons for high temps. Having the spacing of the MSI board will help, but might not prove as effective as combining it with the Airflow front panel

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...tower-case-black-cc-9011078-ww-ca-207-cs.html

seems OCUK dont sell the panel but corsair does. This should greatly improve airflow to your Aorus cards and help push air into the one slot gap

Have you also placed both cages on the bottom or is one stacked on top of the other. again these hurt air flow to the GPUs.

also google that boards M.2 slots. Should be able to run 2 of the 3 m.2 slots as I think one of them turns the x8 PCIe lane to x4 to supply the m.2 its bandwidth :)

believe coffee lake solves this issue

In front of my case I have 2x 140mm fans on top 1 140mm and H100i 2v on back 1 140mm

Soldato
im all up for equality in life but dont think my wife would be happy with a man on the side haha

not sure what stock fans came with the case , i know its getting on a bit and they do far better air flow or static pressure fans

Associate
OP
Next is to see if you have any of the cages blocking airflow , if your not using them, remove them :)

Not mistaken , can the 750 have a bottom 120mm fan installed ?
I remove top cage for HDD and I use only bottom one for 3 HDD and Yes there is 2 slots for 120 mm fans. I have 2 120mm fans from Noctua Cooler. Do you think I should install them? as I use cage for HDD there is only 1 space for 120mm.

Soldato
If you can install them, more direct airflow those cards will get. You can go along with negative pressure but negatives are dust and for the heat those cards are putting out would need strong exhaust fans
So yeah, install any intake fans you can or get that front panel asap ! :)

Associate
OP
If you can install them, more direct airflow those cards will get. You can go along with negative pressure but negatives are dust and for the heat those cards are putting out would need strong exhaust fans
So yeah, install any intake fans you can or get that front panel asap ! :)
Ok thanks I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom