Motherboard upgrade - Which M-ATX 8700k (9900k)

Associate
I currently own an Asus Z370-I Gaming motherboard, it is superb however I have just purchased a new case which is slightly bigger than my current Micro ITX case to allow me to use PCI-E cards.

Simply put what would be a good choice for new motherboard in MATX size, for my current 8700K and a likely upgrade to a 9900k?

Soldato
Really? I’ll be shopping for the same. But mATX seems to get neglected. The majority of the line-up is already known. ASUS haven’t announced a ROG board (just the TUF), Gigabyte have had a rep for poor VRM recently. MSI and Asrock will be probably be OK, but just an iteration on their Z370 boards.

What has caught your eye?

Last edited:
Associate
Really? I’ll be shopping for the same. But mATX seems to get neglected. The majority of the line-up is already known. ASUS haven’t announced a ROG board (just the TUF), Gigabyte have had a rep for poor VRM recently. MSI and Asrock will be probably be OK, but just an iteration on their Z370 boards.

What has caught your eye?

Gigabyte have lost the plot over the last few years when it comes to MB`s and a few problems with their GPU`s

Associate
None of the z370 boards seem worth their price tag. Z390 is not too long, I would also advise to wait and see.

Soldato
I suspect the Asrock Z390M Pro4 will turn out to be the best all rounder.
EVGA made a nice solid Z370 mATX but it only has 2 DIMMs. Would be great if they did a 4 DIMM Z390 version of this.

Associate
that board is the late answer for the Asrock Z170M OC Formula, one could also see that board as an upgraded Impact Z170. I'm hyped for that board!

Soldato
I think my last hope for board with the features I want is if MSI release a Z390 version of their Z370M Gaming Pro. It hasn't been pictured yet in any of the recent leaks though.

Caporegime
For overclocking I've always gone with Asus motherboards, but the MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC looks like a decent enough board for my needs.

Any thoughts on MSI over Asus?

Associate
Asus also do a good job with the memory training on DDR4 motherboards can give you a bit more bandwidth and reduced Latency if you just want to install the memory and not play around with the timings.

Back
Top Bottom