Moto G 5th Generation

Soldato
Only place I could find the G5 Special Edition Plus was Very.co.uk - weird but purchased anyway.

Yeah Amazon have it for same price on Pre-order, wonder if Very actually has stock or not.

My Nexus 5X just died with the bootloop problem, so looking for a replacement - thinking the 5GS Plus could be ideal.

Soldato
Yeah Amazon have it for same price on Pre-order, wonder if Very actually has stock or not.

My Nexus 5X just died with the bootloop problem, so looking for a replacement - thinking the 5GS Plus could be ideal.

It's out for delivery today from Very - Will advise when it arrives.

I'm still slightly suspicious that it is actually the 5Gs Plus they are sending me - but that's what they had advertised. (got a feeling it will be a standard 5G plus)

Soldato
Initial thoughts?

/edit - I've just ordered from Amazon, as they've now got stock. Means I'll get it tomorrow with Prime delivery.

no initial thoughts as it's for my son's birthday on monday!!! I'll take a look at it then. Feel quiet heavy compared to my one plus 5 is the only initial thoughts

Associate
Mine is due tomorrow, so I'll be happy to post up some info when I've had a play.

Thought so far?

My missus gets her G5S Plus today hopefully. Going to give it a test before I take the plunge. Still not sure a phone that size will be comfortable in trouser pocket.

Manage to take a look?

I have a plain Moto G5 (non 'S') with 3GB RAM (amazon edition). Best phone I've ever had, very rare that it lags and runs all my apps flawlessly.

Can only image this one's even better? Thinking about purchasing as a gift for someone to replace their old iPhone 5c.

Soldato
Thought so far?

Very happy so far. But to be honest I've not really played too much yet.

Battery life is good, can easy get a couple of days use from a full charge where normally I'd be content with just one.
The 'turbo' charging is great - can get a lot of battery life from just 15-30 minutes of being on charge
Photos seem comparable to my Nexus 5X, but I've not really tried to do a proper side by side to see if there is any noticeable difference or not.
Performance wise, it's obviously plenty quick enough but I've never had any new phone seem laggy right from the start, so that's pretty much to be expected.

Only slight downsides for me were it's quite a smooth finish, so I found it hard to get a good grip just holding it in one hand (but again I find that with a lot of phones). Ended up buying a rubber case, like I usually do and that solved that problem. The only other niggle was specifically with the positioning of the 'Enter' key on the virtual keyboard in WhatsApp, it was right next to the edge of the screen and with it being a larger display than I was used to, as I would reach across the screen to type other letters I kept catching the Enter key and sending the messages before I'd finished writing. The rubber case also seems to have helped with this as it creates a small lip at the edge of the handset making it harder to accidentally press on that part of the screen.

Sorry it's not much of a review, but overall I'd say it's a very well built handset. No reason I'd not buy it again.

Associate
Very happy so far. But to be honest I've not really played too much yet.

Battery life is good, can easy get a couple of days use from a full charge where normally I'd be content with just one.
The 'turbo' charging is great - can get a lot of battery life from just 15-30 minutes of being on charge
Photos seem comparable to my Nexus 5X, but I've not really tried to do a proper side by side to see if there is any noticeable difference or not.
Performance wise, it's obviously plenty quick enough but I've never had any new phone seem laggy right from the start, so that's pretty much to be expected.

Only slight downsides for me were it's quite a smooth finish, so I found it hard to get a good grip just holding it in one hand (but again I find that with a lot of phones). Ended up buying a rubber case, like I usually do and that solved that problem. The only other niggle was specifically with the positioning of the 'Enter' key on the virtual keyboard in WhatsApp, it was right next to the edge of the screen and with it being a larger display than I was used to, as I would reach across the screen to type other letters I kept catching the Enter key and sending the messages before I'd finished writing. The rubber case also seems to have helped with this as it creates a small lip at the edge of the handset making it harder to accidentally press on that part of the screen.

Sorry it's not much of a review, but overall I'd say it's a very well built handset. No reason I'd not buy it again.

Thanks for the reply.

Still for £220 I dont think you can get much better.

Soldato
So, I purchased a Sony Xperia L1 to replace my Lumia 950 and I have been a little disappointed by the change. I really liked the windows phone, it was so smooth and everything worked really well, (until it died of course :p)

IT was a rush purchase, the 950 died in the morning and needed a phone for the day so I purchased the best phone that was on display in Tesco (I am on Tesco mobile) The Sony is ok, but, it's a little slow and can't even play Netflix movies without a little stutter that is very annoying. Also, while the speaker is loud, it's not really very good. The 950 was much better for watching movies on.

Anyway, I have been given the ok by Tesco to return the Xperia L1 and get something else.

The Motorola G5S looks like a great phone for the price. Does anyone have one? And if so how happy are you with it? It's at the top end of my budget. Other Phones that I am looking at are the P8 Lite, the Huawei Y6 2017 and the Samsung J5 2017. The Motorola, on paper anyway, looks to be way better than any of them.

Soldato
So I now have two (one for me, one for the missus). I can say it's an absolute bargain.

I was very tempted with the One Plus 5 which my mate had but even he had to admit, for 2/5 of the price, the G5S Plus looked a bargain.

Only had it a couple of days but thumb scanner works very quickly, feels nice and fast. Only thing I don't like about it is it comes with LinkedIn and a Outlook which I can't stand either - you can only disable them (that I've seen so far).

Also, I bought the 'Lenovo Moto G5S Plus case, Beyeah [Resilient]' case from Amazon and is excellent – proper padding surrounding entire phone but doesn’t bulk it out significantly.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom