Moto G5 (16GB w/ 3GB RAM)

Soldato
Is currently £135 on an Amazon Prime deal. Good offer?

The girlfriend is in the market so a new phone and was looking at the Samsung J5. I had suggested the G5.. Deal is only on for 4hrs so slightly panicked now :o

I want to check [1] it's the 5" version and [2] what does the dual sim actually mean? Can you use dual sim OR put in an SD card? She's only got one sim so actually that question is fairly redundant.. But she will want storage..

Last question, does anyone know how easy it might be to return the phone if she doesn't like it. It will be bought with vouchers. Just want to check Amazon arent funny about returning phones for some reason? :confused:

Thanks!

Associate
The G5 has a 5 inch screen. The G5 plus is 5.2 inches.
It has 2 nano sim slots. You can configure mobile data to use one, calls another. Alternatively have the OS ask you which to use each call/msg etc.

Contemplating it myself too.

Soldato
OP
I'm struggling to find out whether or not you can actually return phones to Amazon. I found one link that says as of Feb you can only get replacements - basically because people were trying phones then returning them. And abusing it.

Associate
I've gone for it. At the least, unopened, it should be eligible under the 14 day cooldown. While waiting for delivery she could have a play with a G5 in a local phone shop, see if she likes it.

Associate
The offer has been extended by another 24 hours now

I'm considering this for my dad but struggling to find out for sure if it has a notification light for texts, emails etc, does anyone know?

Can't help with the returns policy unfortunately but will be interested to know too

Soldato
OP
Yeah I bailed out. The girlfriend wasn't really interested without seeing it first. So once I was unsure about returns that pretty much put a stop on the idea. The g5s has been almost announced (I think?) so prices might drop soon ish? Dunno :p

If anyone knows about returns let me know..

She has a £100 voucher to spend too!

Soldato
Have you thought about the Huaweu P8 Lite 2017 from Carphone Warehouse for £150? I was thinking about getting the Moto G5, but the lack of compass really puts me off it.

I'm really battling to find fault with the Huawei for the price, so may end up ordering one today.

Associate
I've taken the plunge on the G5 dual-sim for my dad, not going to unbox it until he's tried it in a store. The change in returns policy doesn't prevent returning unopened, in original packaging so there shouldn't be a problem if he doesn't like it.

Associate
Don't forget to get a screen protector with it. The G5 doesn't come with the traditionally marketed gorilla glass, although some places claim some form of scratch resistant glass is used. It ought to be fine if so but wouldn't want to take the risk.

Soldato
OP
Have you thought about the Huaweu P8 Lite 2017 from Carphone Warehouse for £150? I was thinking about getting the Moto G5, but the lack of compass really puts me off it.
I don't think she likes Huaweu as a brand I'm afraid. Pretty sure she wouldn't like how square that phone is either.

I've taken the plunge on the G5 dual-sim for my dad, not going to unbox it until he's tried it in a store. The change in returns policy doesn't prevent returning unopened, in original packaging so there shouldn't be a problem if he doesn't like it.
That's not a bad idea. Do you have a link to the refund policy for phones though?

Also, is she likely to find a G5 in store anywhere? :confused:

Associate
I've bought one. My Nexus 6 is showing its age now (some odd issues post Nougat which I'm convinced are software issues) and after weeks of deliberating over the OnePlus 5 and numerous other phones I just couldn't find my perfect phone. It might be the new Pixels are it but for now I'm going to give this phone a go. Although the G5+ is probably the more sensible buy at £200 part of the appeal of this one is that it's cheaper and seems like a great price.

Happy to report back but need to wait for some cheap screen protectors I ordered from eBay.

Associate
I don't think she likes Huaweu as a brand I'm afraid. Pretty sure she wouldn't like how square that phone is either.

That's not a bad idea. Do you have a link to the refund policy for phones though?

Also, is she likely to find a G5 in store anywhere? :confused:
Carphone warehouse sell them. I imagine their stores will have a display model.

Soldato
OP
Carphone warehouse sell them. I imagine their stores will have a display model.
She just realised the phone her friend had (which she liked) is the Samsung A3, not the J5. Err ok. So the A3 is quite a lot smaller than the J5. Which means the J5 and Moto G5 are way too big. Understandable as she's coming from an S4 Mini. It's pretty damn hard to find phones that small nowadays..

Associate
My Moto G5 turned up on Tuesday, and yesterday afternoon I had the chance to start to transfer Apps from my Nexus 6 onto it. Although it is very early days I've been fairly stunned with the phone so far. The thing is very smooth and seems to cope with the apps I've thrown at it so far. The screen isn't great, the aesthetics from 5+ years ago, the 10.02GB storage pitiful but the performance, fingerprint reader and near-vanilla android more than make up for it. Makes me wonder why I kept spending on high-end phones before this. Anyway looking forward to how this phone holds up. And with a slight tear, time to move the (brilliant) Nexus 6 on.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, with budget phones it always seems to be more of a "time will tell" situation. They seem to degrade very quickly, slow down etc. even when you factory wipe. On the other hand, I'm still rocking a Oneplus One which is still awesome! :D Tempted to get a G5 or something similar for myself. Need a smaller phone, the OPO is just too big.

Soldato
My Moto G5 turned up on Tuesday, and yesterday afternoon I had the chance to start to transfer Apps from my Nexus 6 onto it. Although it is very early days I've been fairly stunned with the phone so far. The thing is very smooth and seems to cope with the apps I've thrown at it so far. The screen isn't great, the aesthetics from 5+ years ago, the 10.02GB storage pitiful but the performance, fingerprint reader and near-vanilla android more than make up for it. Makes me wonder why I kept spending on high-end phones before this. Anyway looking forward to how this phone holds up. And with a slight tear, time to move the (brilliant) Nexus 6 on.
Will be interesting to know how you get on, the Nexus 6 should still have the measure of this performance-wise despite its age. The only reason I want rid of my Nexus 6 is the battery life is starting to get shorter and shorter...

Back
Top Bottom