Moto G5 (16GB w/ 3GB RAM)

Associate
Will be interesting to know how you get on, the Nexus 6 should still have the measure of this performance-wise despite its age. The only reason I want rid of my Nexus 6 is the battery life is starting to get shorter and shorter...

I'm only on my 3rd Battery cycle so still very early days, but there's some obvious initial observations which are unlikely to change.

In build quality, screen and front speakers the Nexus 6 clearly blows the Moto G5 out of the water.
The jump from QHD to FHD isn't that bad, although the IPS LCD panel on the Moto G5 is a massive step down from AMOLED.

However there are some improvements that the Moto G5 has which have made the jump fine for now.
  • The Fingerprint reader - I don't know how I survived for so long without one! One of the weakest points of the N6 was the absence of a Fingerprint reader, particularly as I came from the iPhone 5S. The Moto's FP reader is fast and rarely misses.
  • I think reviews have missed the point of the trackpad at the bottom of the phone. The gestures work well and I've been able to deactivate on-screen buttons which is a nice touch. again pretty reliable.
  • The battery of the N6 was never great for me, struggling to get through a full day with heavy usage. The Moto G5 (although not at optimum yet) seems to be lasting longer (lowish brightness, no BT and location services off, or on battery saver). It appears to lose less battery when the phone is asleep.
  • The Performance isn't that far behind, although I don't game a lot. Miitomo runs identically to the N6. Performance is smooth and stutters are quite rare. I've seen them most significantly on the Moto Widget and Chrome though.
  • Android 7.0 and the launcher are rock solid. On my Nexus, the 7.0 introduced some bugs; i.e. background sounds would dissapear on Miitomo, and the launcher would crash every so often. These never happened on 6.0 and whilst they could be hardware I don't thing so.

Soldato
Me and the missus both have had a 1st Gen Moto G and currently running a 3rd Gen 2gb Moto G, although we are more than happy with ours, she would like a new one so I'm tempted to sell both on as I like having the same phones as if she asks me a question on hers then I've probably already come across it already on mine.

Also, two immediate relatives have the 4th Gen and it is a lovely phone so very tempted to get the G5. Only question is whether to go for the plus.

Back
Top Bottom