Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Motorola are seriously starting to annoy me.

1) Order gets put on hold for no reason.
2) Order get cancelled and they can't tell me why.
3) Can't place new orders cause my name is pretty common. Srsly wtf
4) money is on hold randomly today.

Going to phone up and talk with a manager tomorrow since I'm to busy today but this starting to get stupid now.

Motorola are seriously starting to annoy me.

1) Order gets put on hold for no reason.
2) Order get cancelled and they can't tell me why.
3) Can't place new orders cause my name is pretty common. Srsly wtf
4) money is on hold randomly today.

Going to phone up and talk with a manager tomorrow since I'm to busy today but this starting to get stupid now.

Sounds a queer going on? They've given you no reason why it was put on hold to start with? Best of luck getting it sorted.

Hoping I may get mine today though I'm not going to bet my savings on it :rolleyes:

They've not updated tracking info but that doesn't mean a lot. Asked about picking it up as the Mrs is working close by their depot. It's in the warehouse now so not an option. Hopefully they'll deliver but not hopeful. Always the same going on with these courier firms and some of the lies they tell us beggars belief. Least still have the old model :cool:

^^ Good luck Mate with the pending delivery of your Moto X (2014)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the phone.

By luck I passed a white van parked about a mile away with a driver looking lost. No markings on the van. Pulled up beside him and asked if he was FedEx, which he was. Gave him my name and address and made him hand over the parcel :D I had ID with me so took delivery. He could have easily have turned and burned cos he had no idea where he was.

When I rang customer support yesterday I asked that my mobile number was given to van driver in case he got lost (which they often do) and support guy said they only deliver and collect parcels (if only :rolleyes:) and are not allowed to use cell phones :confused: Guess they're not allowed to use maps either :rolleyes:

Anyway, finished work late so only had a quick mess with it so far.

Compared to previous Moto X....

Screen is brighter, sharper and a good improvement. New model isn't as big overall as I was expecting but doesn't handle quite so well. The dimple on the back now feeling too big to be of any use. To say it's 5.2" it handles very well though. Need a little time to get used to it and bound to feel 'different' to start with.

It's faster as you would expect, a lot faster, certainly a good improvement on the old X. Signal reception going on the bar read out is possibly slightly better and Three data ticks along fine. WIFI reception seems not as good but no noticeable speed loss compared to previous. Need more time with it for sure. My main concern was size and now I have one I'm sure it'll fine.

Last edited:
Looks like the battery will be 'good enough' for me for everyday use.

Non scientific test, but typical of my normal routine.

Pulled it off charge at 3:30 is yesterday in work, and just put it back on charge now with 37% left.

2 Hours 40 Mins Screen time and roughly 40 mins on Strava.

Everything turned on (GPS / NFC / Google Fit etc)

My old moto X would be around 25% with similar usage.

Going to run it for a few more days and see how it goes.

Anything to update now you've had it a few days? Battery life in particular, how does it fare?

Now its settled down i am getting good battery life.

Currently at 48% after 22 hours with 1 hour 58 mins screen time. lots of texting included on there and around 1 hour of strava (GPS).

@Richy888 Damn FedEx driver, useless as a chocolate teapot.....

Thanks for your initial thoughts Mate, seeing as you had the Moto X and posted a lot of thoughts about that your opinions hold a lot of weight and I'm really interested in how you get on with the phone. Do keep us all updated when you can.

Last edited:
@Richy888 Damn FedEx driver, useless as a chocolate teapot.....

Thanks for your initial thoughts Mate, seeing as you had the Moto X and posted a lot of thoughts about that your opinions hold a lot of weight and I'm really interested in how you get on with the phone. Do keep us all updated when you can.

Yes will do. As always seems the way work as meant I've not had time to get it set up. Tonight I mostly have and swapped my sim into it from the old Moto X so we'll see how it goes as the week goes on.

I bought a glass screen protector off amazon but it's as most others have found not sticking down all round the edges. Drives me mad when display is off (OCD??) and can't think I'll stick with it. I sort of expected that due to the way the glass curves at edges. The curved glass does make it feel nice. Build quality is better than the old model. I could make the old one 'creak' and in one part of the back plate it would 'pop' if pressed. New model is solid and no 'flexing'. It's a big display which is easy to read which I prefer over the old. Makes it bigger of course so I'll see how I get on this week using it whilst working. I do feel it might have been better sticking to around 5" to keep the feel of the old X, but others may disagree. Don't like the dimple on the back now as it feels too big and of no use compared to the old. Finger end used to sit in the old one but slides about in the new and generally feels lost. No biggie though :)

Sky Go installs and seems to be fine until you go to watch anything then you get the 'sorry this device isn't supported'. Quite why I'm surprised with sky I dunno. I've put in a request. BTW they aren't ready for Lollipop and advising hanging fire on upgrading if you want to continue using Sky Go ... again, why am I surprised :rolleyes:

Call quality is good btw and single speaker better than I would expect.

So, so far mostly good. I'll report back this week.

So my GF loves this phone, and she has had an iPhone 6 and Nexus 5 as her last 2 devices.

Build is top notch, fits so perfectly in your hand and actual feels smaller then the Nexus 5. The metal band is really nice and the plastic is nice and grippy so it doesn't slip. Calls sound amazing which is typical for Moto, and the speaker is not half bad, still annoying its only mono. Battery for her has been pretty solid, good example is yesterday when we used it for sat nav for 2 hours~ had 3:40 SOT and at 20% when we got home. It is also Purple which she loves (purple headphones, bag, etc etc etc). Camera is alright FFC for some reason is really slow, if you move it around it just lags and stutters, hoping 5.0 fixes this has the camera lets down an otherwise great device. She does a lot of photography which is annoying.

All in all it seems like a solid phone.

^^Sounds like a decent phone and a great alternative to the Nexus 6 for those looking for a smaller phone. Let's hope that the 5.0 does sort out the camera though, battery life doesn't sound bad though.

I've put in an order but won't be shipped until the 24th November.

@Richy888 Really appreciate the update Mate, superb that the size of the Moto X isn't that bad :)

Last edited:
^^Sounds like a decent phone and a great alternative to the Nexus 6 for those looking for a smaller phone. Let's hope that the 5.0 does sort out the camera though, battery life doesn't sound bad though.

I've put in an order but won't be shipped until the 24th November.

@Richy888 Really appreciate the update Mate, superb that the size of the Moto X isn't that bad :)

The Nexus 5 is feeling a bit down now :p

Back
Top Bottom