Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

LOL Moto certainly don't hang about do they? What configuration did you go for?

How are you finding the phone Mate? Especially the battery life?

32gb Black / Black / Red Accents

Battery life is more than good enough. I tend to charge every morning when i get to work and by then i usually have 40-50% left.

Everything is turned on that i need all the time (Wifi / GPS for Strava / google fit / active notifications / moto connect etc), so all is good with me.

The call quality has got to be one of the best i've experienced (But so was the original moto x) and the 'lack' of a QHD screen is a non-issue for me.

^^Sounds like a decent phone and a great alternative to the Nexus 6 for those looking for a smaller phone. Let's hope that the 5.0 does sort out the camera though, battery life doesn't sound bad though.

I've put in an order but won't be shipped until the 24th November.

@Richy888 Really appreciate the update Mate, superb that the size of the Moto X isn't that bad :)

Well done on the order. It may be shipped sooner as mine was. Of course you are then at the whim of a dozy FedEx driver :rolleyes:

Mine is 32gb Black / Black / Gold Accents. The gold is fine but maybe should have gone red. Not a big issue.

First full day as work-a-day phone yesterday and all was good. Battery life does seem quite a bit better than the '13 Moto X .. which easily lasted the day (6am to 11pm) and then some for me. Last night it was charged when I went to bed about 11pm and basically left with wifi still on it dropped to 95% by 6am. This is quite a bit better idling battery consumption than I've been used too. Of course as battery beds in it should get better in a few days. Everyone's milage may vary.

Although the new X is bigger it does not seem any heavier. The specs say it is slightly but certainly doesn't feel like a lump of lead in your pocket. Maybe the smaller battery has helped there. I'm still getting used to it but never thought I'd even consider a 5.2" phone. It is a little clumsier than the old model but not overly.

Bought a gel case which is quite compact and does afford some protection to what might be the vulnerable screen edges if it was say dropped. BUT it does spoil the feel of the phone and suspect half the time I'll not bother with it. It does give a little extra grip though.

Display is great though bright sun somewhat in short supply to see how it fairs in that.

Signal reception is better (for me). One site I work at has weak coverage and on average the old X used to report 20 to 30% of time there without signal and yesterday at same site with new Moto X it reports 6%. I will say with both phones I never actually catch either without signal there :confused: As has been mention call quality is excellent - subject to the quality of the other persons phone/signal/prevailing wind.

The LuvTab Military Tempered glass screen protector off of amazon is rubbish. It's still on but not sticking at all around the edges :mad: One review there (now :rolleyes:) says the same. I suspect it has to do with the shape of the glass. I prefer something to protect the glass from scratches but not sure this is going to be the answer. And yes, Gorilla glass does scratch. In my case I think it's fine grit/sand that finds it way into pocket and scratch really fine lines into the glass.

All told really liking the new Moto X. I think the only disappointment is Sky Go doesn't work :rolleyes: Evidently I will probably have to wait for the new unified Sky Go app currently in beta. Current app loads OK and is compatible with Moto X according to Play store but get a message the phone isn't supported when I try to log in. Otherwise all good :cool:

Due to the Nexus 6 being far too big and the OnePlus one having some issues and is still a bit too big, it looks like the 2014 Moto X is my top contender for a convenient sized phone.
I do have one question though, can you disable the always listening feature?
I never use voice commands anyway and I'd prefer my phone wasn't always listening (should improve battery life too).

Yes you can disable it. You have to set it up to use it anyway. Not sure 'always listening' uses much battery anyway.

You won't be disappointed. Finding battery life better than I thought it would be. Rumour is Lollipop isn't far from being released for the Pure Edition.

32gb Black / Black / Red Accents

Battery life is more than good enough. I tend to charge every morning when i get to work and by then i usually have 40-50% left.

Everything is turned on that i need all the time (Wifi / GPS for Strava / google fit / active notifications / moto connect etc), so all is good with me.

The call quality has got to be one of the best i've experienced (But so was the original moto x) and the 'lack' of a QHD screen is a non-issue for me.

Good colour combo, I was going to get the same but opted for Black / Black / Orange Accents.

It's good to hear that the battery life isn't as bad as first reported which is a plus in my book. I don't mind the lack of a QHD screen and perfectly happy with a 1080p screen to be honest.

Thanks for that!

Well done on the order. It may be shipped sooner as mine was. Of course you are then at the whim of a dozy FedEx driver :rolleyes:

Mine is 32gb Black / Black / Gold Accents. The gold is fine but maybe should have gone red. Not a big issue.

First full day as work-a-day phone yesterday and all was good. Battery life does seem quite a bit better than the '13 Moto X .. which easily lasted the day (6am to 11pm) and then some for me. Last night it was charged when I went to bed about 11pm and basically left with wifi still on it dropped to 95% by 6am. This is quite a bit better idling battery consumption than I've been used too. Of course as battery beds in it should get better in a few days. Everyone's milage may vary.

Although the new X is bigger it does not seem any heavier. The specs say it is slightly but certainly doesn't feel like a lump of lead in your pocket. Maybe the smaller battery has helped there. I'm still getting used to it but never thought I'd even consider a 5.2" phone. It is a little clumsier than the old model but not overly.

Bought a gel case which is quite compact and does afford some protection to what might be the vulnerable screen edges if it was say dropped. BUT it does spoil the feel of the phone and suspect half the time I'll not bother with it. It does give a little extra grip though.

Display is great though bright sun somewhat in short supply to see how it fairs in that.

Signal reception is better (for me). One site I work at has weak coverage and on average the old X used to report 20 to 30% of time there without signal and yesterday at same site with new Moto X it reports 6%. I will say with both phones I never actually catch either without signal there :confused: As has been mention call quality is excellent - subject to the quality of the other persons phone/signal/prevailing wind.

The LuvTab Military Tempered glass screen protector off of amazon is rubbish. It's still on but not sticking at all around the edges :mad: One review there (now :rolleyes:) says the same. I suspect it has to do with the shape of the glass. I prefer something to protect the glass from scratches but not sure this is going to be the answer. And yes, Gorilla glass does scratch. In my case I think it's fine grit/sand that finds it way into pocket and scratch really fine lines into the glass.

All told really liking the new Moto X. I think the only disappointment is Sky Go doesn't work :rolleyes: Evidently I will probably have to wait for the new unified Sky Go app currently in beta. Current app loads OK and is compatible with Moto X according to Play store but get a message the phone isn't supported when I try to log in. Otherwise all good :cool:

It had to be done Mate, thank you... :) No way am I carrying a brick in my jeans pocket haha :p

Gold accents look good no doubt but like you I was thinking of getting the red but went with orange in the end.

Great summary about your thoughts on the phone, thanks for that Mate :)

I find the idling battery life impressive so that's definitely a bonus in my books and I agree everyone's milage may vary. I just had a Diztronic case delivered from Amazon and the case isn't as big as I feared, therefore the size won't be an issue, it's all about protecting the phone.

I've read reviews that the screen isn't that great in the sun but we don't have to worry about that now that Winter's kicking in.

Have you tried a normal plastic screen protector as opposed to a glass one? Then again the because of the design of the screen the same thing may happen? I'll find out soon and report back since I've got some on the way. Fingers crossed the phone gets here by Friday as it's currently in China at the moment.

Glad you're really liking the phone and it's up to scratch to the Moto X, after that detailed summary of yours I can't wait to get my hands on the X2014!

Cheers Dude :D

I flitted between red and gold when configuring it and couldn't make up my mind. It's only a small part of the phone

I use Swiftkey keyboard and with the display being bigger and wider it's even better to use :cool: We had a little sun yesterday morning so I whipped it out and gave it a look. It was more than readable to me and probably similar to old moto x which in bright sunlight had it cranked to 100% using QBright ... (Nexus18 put me onto that back in the HTC One S days :cool:)

Had the gel case on today and answering a call one handed did struggle to reach across with thumb on left hand. Ended up going 2 handed. Yet later I removed gel case and answering another call managed OK single handed. Gel case does spoil the feel of the phone and it's a shame to cover it up.

But Motorola - a line has been drawn in the sand :D This is as bigger phone as I can deal with. No use bringing out a bigger Moto X next year as I'd not be interested. I still feel the same specs as the new model but a 5" screen may have been better? That said I do like the bigger screen on the new X.

I still have the glass screen protector on but saw one or two recommend an iLLumiShield screen protector on xda or android central. £3.95 for 3 off of amazon so ordered one - well there are 3 in a box. Mucho bitching about the glass protectors on the forums not going down at the edges. Other one I thought of trying was a Skinomi?

Hopefully you'll get yours soon and sure you'll not be disappointed ;)

I picked up a Bamboo / Back/ dark grey combo. I had the issue with the wood back not sticking down fully at the edges. I reckon they don't clamp down the back long enough for the glue to dry. I put a small plastic spring clamp on the edges over night and and it's now perfect and showing no sign of moving despite using the phone naked. The wood back looks great and lifts the phone above regular phones and makes it very special to look at and hold.

The raised speaker grills are a great idea as you canplace the phone face down and the glass doesn't touch the table. I had a the glass screen protector but ripped it off too, even ofi get a few scratched it's still going to look better. Also the curved screen is a pleasure to draw you thumb around without a protector.

Typhoon - heard a few reports of wood veneer lifting around the edges. Good job sticking it back down. Agreed the naked glass feel is far better. I seem to get fine scratches on all my phones from probably grit or sand getting into trouser pockets. It'll be really fine stuff you'll not notice rather than a pocket full of the stuff :D With the glass screen protector I can throw it away once it gets bad and stick another on. End of the day I'm not sure it matters unless you're selling it when you've finished with? I can only see these fine lines when the display is off. I'll try a plastic screen guard (iLLumiShield) when it arrives. Another option is that Crystalusion glass treatment which I've used in the past. Seemed to help with the fine scratching on a previous phone.

Zatoichi.uK - Not really sure where the best deal is. I'm not sure it's available on contract with the main mobile providers in UK. Most seem to be going through Motomaker or one of the on line retailers. Motorola had a £60 off sale the other week for a few days which is when I got mine. They may have another between now and Christmas. I guess you'll have to search to find the best price on the day.

I don't sell my phones, I tend to keep them for a couple of years now so they are not worth a great deal, so I am not too bothered by a few scratches.

I have all the phones I have had since my first one in 1993 ( got it the first week Mercury One2One started doing the free calls package) and lined all 15 up in order last weekend and this one is as big ( though not as thick) as my first ever phone. For me miniaturisation peaked with the Nokia 8210 and they have been getting bigger since!

I flitted between red and gold when configuring it and couldn't make up my mind. It's only a small part of the phone

I use Swiftkey keyboard and with the display being bigger and wider it's even better to use :cool: We had a little sun yesterday morning so I whipped it out and gave it a look. It was more than readable to me and probably similar to old moto x which in bright sunlight had it cranked to 100% using QBright ... (Nexus18 put me onto that back in the HTC One S days :cool:)

Had the gel case on today and answering a call one handed did struggle to reach across with thumb on left hand. Ended up going 2 handed. Yet later I removed gel case and answering another call managed OK single handed. Gel case does spoil the feel of the phone and it's a shame to cover it up.

But Motorola - a line has been drawn in the sand :D This is as bigger phone as I can deal with. No use bringing out a bigger Moto X next year as I'd not be interested. I still feel the same specs as the new model but a 5" screen may have been better? That said I do like the bigger screen on the new X.

I still have the glass screen protector on but saw one or two recommend an iLLumiShield screen protector on xda or android central. £3.95 for 3 off of amazon so ordered one - well there are 3 in a box. Mucho bitching about the glass protectors on the forums not going down at the edges. Other one I thought of trying was a Skinomi?

Hopefully you'll get yours soon and sure you'll not be disappointed ;)

It's a small part of the phone but it certainly makes a difference looking at the X2014 forums on XDA! It's reassuring to hear that screen legibility under the sun isn't as bad as it was first reported. I'm still using Qbright as well, I remember those heady HOS days they were awesome weren't they? :)

I've bought some cheap screen protectors from eBay just to protect the screen and a Diztronic case as I usually sell my phones on after 3-6 months and a to get the best price possible I try to keep my phones in tip top condition.

Skinomi are a decent make a little pricey but I haven't read any reviews for their X2014 protectors. I'd say that 5.2" is my limit too, the G2 when I had that was just about comfortable to use and the X2014 is slightly bigger than the N5 so I'm sure that it'll be comfortable for me too.

Bigger screen's are always nice to have as I watch a fair few TV shows on my commute to and from work.

How's the iLLumisheild working out for you? Better than the glass screen protector you had previously?

Is the battery life getting better or much the same?

Hey Stoosh.... Has yours arrived yet?

No Mate it's still stuck in Shenzhen, China since the 11th awaiting clearance maybe the Orange accents on the phone are too much for customs over there! ;)

It's apparently due to be delivered next Thurs though so I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it arrives by then or maybe earlier if I'm lucky.

How are you finding the phone?

Still loving it.

Most used feature has got to be Moto Connect.

Seamlessly connects to chrome so can text to my hearts content while in work and the phone stays in my pocket on silent. If i get a call i can see who it is before deciding to get the phone out of my pocket.

Means the batter is lasting even longer (2 days between charges, but with less screen time due to the above)

Still loving it.

Most used feature has got to be Moto Connect.

Seamlessly connects to chrome so can text to my hearts content while in work and the phone stays in my pocket on silent. If i get a call i can see who it is before deciding to get the phone out of my pocket.

Means the batter is lasting even longer (2 days between charges, but with less screen time due to the above)

That's excellent, thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that it seamlessly connects to chrome, which is a decent feature to have.

I'll have to wait and see what the battery life is like though as users mileage varies using the device - however it does sound promising.

Stoosh.

Hopefully you'll get yours Tues or Wed next week. Mine was at Shenzen on the Friday night but moved all weekend to be in UK for the Monday morning. Moved with impressive speed ... untill it got to the UK :rolleyes:

On a similar theme I bought some vehicle LED lightbars from an Aussie outfit on Ebay the other day. They were actually shipped from Shenzen (which I knew about) Got the Ebay notice that they had shipped on Monday morning and Thursday got a note from Parcelforce to cough up Customs duty and VAT before they would deliver. Paid duty online and Parcelforce delivered Monday morning. Couldn't believe how quick they were delivered.

I'm still using the glass screen protector. The iLLumisheild hasn't been delivered yet. May be being shipped from abroad (not checked) When I was grumbling about the glass screen protector, unbeknown to me the mrs bought me a Skinomi protector off amazon. Not tried it and probably should but last one I had some years back on a Nokia it felt 'tacky'. Doesn't feel too bad, though yet to apply. Maybe better give it a try to keep the mrs quiet. Been somewhat spoiled with the glass ones of late and anything else feels like 2nd class job.

The more I use the phone the more I like it. Getting used to the size now and the old X now feels a little small :D Much prefer it without the gel case on but care is needed as it is more than a little slippy. Its size and the metal band seem mainly to blame for that. But build quality is top notch and a lot better than the original. Very solid with tight seams and no creaks or flexing.

Screen I'm really liking. I know it's over saturated and questionable colour calibration but it looks great. It just looks good and I for one like it. If it's like the old X regards brightness, which I think it's not too different, then in really bright sunshine you may end up shading it for easier viewing but every phone I ever had I do the same in said conditions. Watching Youtube and a tele app (UK4G TV) stereo speakers may have been better but the single speaker doesn't do a bad job at all and from memory is on a par to the HTC One M7's stereo speakers.

I've pretty much set up similar to old X and with similar usage battery is lasting longer. Easily lasts a day for me. Working on a site with poor signal yesterday which drains battery faster and was still over 50% at 6pm. Today I'm full of cold so been fiddling with the new X somewhat :D 3.5 hours SOT and battery at 34%. Youtube, some UK4G TV app, and general fiddling, installing, browsing and what have you. I'm a little surprised how long it lasts. When first announced with much bigger display and only slightly bigger battery I was pretty much sure it wasn't for me for that reason alone. Glad to be wrong :o A bigger battery would have added more weight and bulk possibly? For its size it seems very light and certainly doesn't feel like it'll pull your trousers down ;)

Back
Top Bottom