Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

£100 off the Moto x from 1st December according the Motorola UK site.

Damn, I thought I was doing well when I got £60 off. Motorola seem to have these sales to drum up interest I guess. All good for anyone looking for one. You never know, Motorola may even make the fast charger available here in UK. Not that I've personally had any probs with battery running low. Been very good really. Should get Lollipop soon too - though not sure if that is a good or bad thing currently :confused:

I was happy with 60 quid off. Cracking phone IMO. Very pleased. You soon get used to the size and and doesn't feel like it's 5.2 inches. Nice display and although we're only getting weak winter sun I'm finding it easy enough to use even set at 70% brightness. Not bright summer sun though :(

If you get one don't bother with the glass screen protectors as they don't fit at all well. Glass curves away at the edges and the two I've tried have lifted at the edges. This is made worse if a gel case is fitted as it forces the glass to lift even further and the latest one I bought on ebay came off in my pocket when gel case was fitted :rolleyes:

Too nice to cover really :D Because of the job I do I've bought an Otterbox Defender case. It's too expensive and no doubt I'll find it too bulky but need the protection. With the glass curving onto the edge of the phone a drop could easily crack/smash the screen. Couple that with cold wet hands the MotoX becomes an accident waiting to happen.

You may have got a faulty one? As I've said call quality on mine is top notch with more than enough volume. Even though I'm a little deaf I have the in call volume cranked down to approx 75% on the slider bar. Tried Chrome browser too as it's installed and it was as slick as Opera. No lagging.

I did fancy a Nexus 6 in the early 'rumour' days but once the size was announced I lost any interest I had. I've no doubt it'll be a good phone but just too big for my use.

I was on the fence about the new Moto X '14 when it was announced. Wasn't sure it'd be a little too big and was sure with only a slightly larger battery and a lot bigger screen of higher res it was going to be sucked dry before the end of the day. Hasn't been the case. With similar daily use battery is quite a bit better. Standby use is a lot better too .. subject to signal I think. I've even got used to the size :D

I've taken the Skinomi Tech Skin off. It fitted fairly well and although not as smooth as glass, wasn't too tacky. I thought it did degrade the display image which seemed quite noticeable when I took it off and the edges of the skin felt slightly rough/sharp. That alone was annoying enough. Bought a cheap glass one off ebay and fitted that. Doesn't stick down properly around the edges (though better than the one I got off Amazon) but is clear and smooth. Spoils the look of the phone when it's off but does afford some protection.

I might have got a faulty X2014 and TBH knowing my luck I probably did!
In the short time I had the phone I felt like it's the spirtual successor to the N5. Battery life is slightly better and build quality is spot one, the size is good too. Having spent a fair bit of time around LCD screens, I did find the OLED screen a little too overwhelming and slightly too saturated, compared to the Note 4 which I feel has more accurate colours but that's because the tech that Samsung uses is newer and Moto are using last gen screens.

With the forthcoming reduction on the X2014 it's a bargain and anyone sitting on the fence about the phone should just get it. Unfortunately it wasn't for me however those looking for a near Nexus experience and not wanting to go with the Nexus 6 purely because of its size should without a doubt go for the X2014.

The battery on standby is much better purely because the S801 chip is frugal when it stays idle. Agreed about Skinomi, I feel that it is slightly sticky when using it and I didn't like the "orange peel" effect that was visible when applied. I don't think there's going to be any decent screen protectors that will manage to stick to the edge of the screen, as scouring the forums no one has found the ideal solution, which is a shame.

Am really glad that you're enjoying the X2014 though Mate, I sent mine back to Moto today, it was missions trying to get through to Motorola, their customer service call centre is a tough cookie to crack but they were spot on with sending all the required documentation to me.

The display needs fixing I believe, it won't be an issue for a huge amount of people. My GF for exmaple doesn't really care but it seems very yellow too me and just off, it really blows colours out, I took a picture with my nexus 5 and it was a toned down red object, on the Moto X it looks bright orange.

The display needs fixing I believe, it won't be an issue for a huge amount of people. My GF for exmaple doesn't really care but it seems very yellow too me and just off, it really blows colours out, I took a picture with my nexus 5 and it was a toned down red object, on the Moto X it looks bright orange.

'Tis a known issue though as I never compare my display to any other device I never notice :D As to fixing I'd be surprised if Motorola bother about it?

Stoosh.

Unfortunatly you probably got a lemon. Makes a change cos I'm generally a magnet for faulty tech :D

Yep screen is over saturated but I get on fine with it. Most of my recent phones have been amoled so I'm quite used to it. The HTC One M7 I owned seemed a little washed out in comparison :rolleyes: That said I'd not use an amoled phone screen for critical photo editing as the colours are too far off. But for my phone use I'm ok with it. Don't take a lot of photos with my phone but often take a photo of a machinery before stripping down to reference when putting back together - just in case :eek:

OtterBox Defender arrived. Somewhat bulks the phone up. Comes with a built in screen cover. For work it is idea, for anything else ... not so much! Got fed up with screen protectors and as the otterbox a built in one I now go bare. I have treated it with a Crystalusion pack. Used it in the past and does seem to help with fine scratching ... possibly :eek: May just be snake oil :D

All up, Moto X '14 is top notch.

'Tis a known issue though as I never compare my display to any other device I never notice :D As to fixing I'd be surprised if Motorola bother about it?

Nope they won't, and like I said its not an issue for 99% but I work as a front end engineer and spend a good chunk of my time glued to display making sure the design is accurate which includes a lot of colour comparison across devices. Display are a pain for me xD, my Nexus 5 is just right with some tweaking, the Moto X 2014 actual cases me discomfort to look at.

Stoosh.

Unfortunatly you probably got a lemon. Makes a change cos I'm generally a magnet for faulty tech :D

Yep screen is over saturated but I get on fine with it. Most of my recent phones have been amoled so I'm quite used to it. The HTC One M7 I owned seemed a little washed out in comparison :rolleyes: That said I'd not use an amoled phone screen for critical photo editing as the colours are too far off. But for my phone use I'm ok with it. Don't take a lot of photos with my phone but often take a photo of a machinery before stripping down to reference when putting back together - just in case :eek:

OtterBox Defender arrived. Somewhat bulks the phone up. Comes with a built in screen cover. For work it is idea, for anything else ... not so much! Got fed up with screen protectors and as the otterbox a built in one I now go bare. I have treated it with a Crystalusion pack. Used it in the past and does seem to help with fine scratching ... possibly :eek: May just be snake oil :D

All up, Moto X '14 is top notch.

Yeah mate, overall its a solid solid device. The build/feel is just perfect, it feels lighter then my Nexus 5 and even smaller, but also extremely solid. Moto Maker is just wow, everyone needs this. The camera is a bit of a let down, the UI is annoying/horrible, its a tad slow, and its really bad in poor light. Hopefully 5.0 can fix that, everything else I've seen is epic. If the display/camera are sorted then its the best phone out right now.

Got a White front, blue black but not 100% sure about the trim yet. Still waiting for the code so got a bit of time to decide.

My reservations about the white front are that the IR sensors are rather obvious (pernickety) and the screen is very obvious - at least with black the screen almost merges into one large slab.

They've managed to make it not look awfully naff though, which some manufacturers fail to do with white devices.

I went for the black back as it's the only one that's soft touch.

GF has purple and its soft touch, I think haha.

My reservations about the white front are that the IR sensors are rather obvious (pernickety) and the screen is very obvious - at least with black the screen almost merges into one large slab.

They've managed to make it not look awfully naff though, which some manufacturers fail to do with white devices.

Very true, not 100% decided off course, its just white looks better with colour backs I think.

Got confirmation at 8:15, still waiting for that code to show up.... :mad:

My guess is there waiting to the end of the day and will send them out tomorrow.

Too tight to pay the extra :D

Leather also doesn't wear nicely, a lot of people get them less then perfect out the box and it goes down hill quickly from there. It does smell nice thou haha :D

Back
Top Bottom