Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Mine arrived today! Now charging up. 1 week from order to doorstep.

Nice, ordered from Moto Maker I assume?

How long was the gap in tracking your order after it left china?

Mine left china about 4 oclock (our time) on monday there hasn't been an update on DHL since :(

I ordered last thursday so would love it tomorrow... doubt it though!

What designs did everyone go with then?

I have a black front, bamboo back, blue accents.

Nice, ordered from Moto Maker I assume?

How long was the gap in tracking your order after it left china?

Mine left china about 4 oclock (our time) on monday there hasn't been an update on DHL since :(

I ordered last thursday so would love it tomorrow... doubt it though!

What designs did everyone go with then?

I have a black front, bamboo back, blue accents.

Yes, ordered from Motomaker. I went for the classy look - Black front, black leather back and dark grey accents.

I ordered Monday evening (1st Dec), had shipping confirmation on Thursday then nothing until the early hours of Monday morning when it arrived in the UK and was delivered to my address within a matter of hours.

My guess is you might hear something by Thursday morning and it's usually pretty quick by that point.

As for the device - I haven't really used it in anger yet because I won't take it out of the house without a case on (which will hopefully arrive today).

The build quality is excellent and the leather finish is very very nice.

It's thinner and only marginally bigger than my Nexus 4 (which is a good thing and the reason why I didn't want a Nexus 6). The sound is much better (and louder) than the N4, the screen is very bright with very little bezel and it's easy to use one-handed. Colours do look a little over saturated though.

It's fast - I thought the N4 was fast but this is noticeably quicker with almost anything you do. Boot up/shut down times are also amazingly quick.

I think the Moto "features" are genuinely useful - waving at it to see notifications or asking it questions works brilliantly. The active display looks to be useful too so hopefully I won't miss the LED of my N4.

The Moto Assist to transfer my data was a bit hit and miss - call history and pictures/videos were transferred but only a small number of SMS and MMS moved across. Not a big problem though and my contacts/calendars etc are all stored in the cloud so no need to transfer those across.

I haven't really played with the camera or tested battery life yet but even though neither of them are class leading, I fully expect them to be better than the N4. I also haven't made any calls to test quality or used bluetooth (for my car). If it (comfortably) gets me through a day then I'll be happy (usually average not much more than 2hrs SOT and the N4 is dead before the end of the day).

Any sign of your phone yet ryryryan?

Now that I'm starting to use the phone properly, a couple of things have come to light, one of which may be a showstopper:

1) Something keeps switching my GPS on fairly frequently. It's probably Google Now because I haven't disabled it but it could also be 'Modality Service', whatever that is?

2) (the showstopper) - I can't get the phonebook etc to sync up with my car using Bluetooth (Ford SYNC). I want all my contacts available on the car system. The only options in the Bluetooth settings seem to be for Phone audio and Media audio. I haven't made a phonecall yet to make sure that works but I wanted a phone that would be fully functional with the car (ideally including reading text messages, which the car can do)

3) Lollipop - I got this phone because I wanted a Nexus-like experience (stock, quick updates etc) without the size of the N6. I had read that Moto had a good track record with updates. I know the US Pure Edition has got Lollipop but there are suggestions over on XDA that us Europeans get forgotten about (different model number). Will this phone definitely see Lollipop? This is my first Motorola since my very first phone back in 1999/2000.

Yes, ordered from Motomaker. I went for the classy look - Black front, black leather back and dark grey accents.

I ordered Monday evening (1st Dec), had shipping confirmation on Thursday then nothing until the early hours of Monday morning when it arrived in the UK and was delivered to my address within a matter of hours.

My guess is you might hear something by Thursday morning and it's usually pretty quick by that point.

As for the device - I haven't really used it in anger yet because I won't take it out of the house without a case on (which will hopefully arrive today).

The build quality is excellent and the leather finish is very very nice.

It's thinner and only marginally bigger than my Nexus 4 (which is a good thing and the reason why I didn't want a Nexus 6). The sound is much better (and louder) than the N4, the screen is very bright with very little bezel and it's easy to use one-handed. Colours do look a little over saturated though.

It's fast - I thought the N4 was fast but this is noticeably quicker with almost anything you do. Boot up/shut down times are also amazingly quick.

I think the Moto "features" are genuinely useful - waving at it to see notifications or asking it questions works brilliantly. The active display looks to be useful too so hopefully I won't miss the LED of my N4.

The Moto Assist to transfer my data was a bit hit and miss - call history and pictures/videos were transferred but only a small number of SMS and MMS moved across. Not a big problem though and my contacts/calendars etc are all stored in the cloud so no need to transfer those across.

I haven't really played with the camera or tested battery life yet but even though neither of them are class leading, I fully expect them to be better than the N4. I also haven't made any calls to test quality or used bluetooth (for my car). If it (comfortably) gets me through a day then I'll be happy (usually average not much more than 2hrs SOT and the N4 is dead before the end of the day).

We are in an identical situation then - I also moved to a Moto X 2014 just yesterday, from a Nexus 4.

Also issues with Moto Migrate, with not everything moving across. I tried the back-to-back NFC transfer too, but that failed miserably with nothing being sent whatsoever (though looking into it now this looks like it's only supported on Lollipop).

The voice activation is hit and miss for me (which was a primary attraction for this device over many others) but the hand-wave-over-sensors to wake the screen is pretty useful. I realise you can get an app to do this on the N4, but I found it drained the battery terribly; at least with this phone it's inbuilt and meant to be used.

Have you scrolled through YouTube yet? I did, and it's noticeably juddery compared to the N4; it feels like frames are dropped or something, when scrolling through YouTube...

Now that I'm starting to use the phone properly, a couple of things have come to light, one of which may be a showstopper:

1) Something keeps switching my GPS on fairly frequently. It's probably Google Now because I haven't disabled it but it could also be 'Modality Service', whatever that is?

2) (the showstopper) - I can't get the phonebook etc to sync up with my car using Bluetooth (Ford SYNC). I want all my contacts available on the car system. The only options in the Bluetooth settings seem to be for Phone audio and Media audio. I haven't made a phonecall yet to make sure that works but I wanted a phone that would be fully functional with the car (ideally including reading text messages, which the car can do)

3) Lollipop - I got this phone because I wanted a Nexus-like experience (stock, quick updates etc) without the size of the N6. I had read that Moto had a good track record with updates. I know the US Pure Edition has got Lollipop but there are suggestions over on XDA that us Europeans get forgotten about (different model number). Will this phone definitely see Lollipop? This is my first Motorola since my very first phone back in 1999/2000.

1) Had same issue with Modality Service and it's to do with drive assist so I don't use it anymore. Was hammering battery but but nothing that would drain it in the day. I think that has sorted it anyway but I'll need more time to be sure.

2) All I can say is that my Alpine head unit synced contacts OK so may be a Ford thing?

3) It's on XDA so it must be right :D More seriously it SHOULD?? I know there have been issues but it has gone quiet. Motorola are about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. They're say nothing. Bit like Sky and Sky Go :mad: If they do over look us then it's the last Motorola I'm buying. Will be tricky for me buying a phone soon. HTC are banned for poor customer service. Apple are banned ... I just don't like them :D Samsung are - I hate Touchwiz. Anyone seen a telephone box??

I imagine we will get it but can't see it happening this side of Christmas. I can't see a reason why XT1092's are being delayed?

If it's confirmed this phone won't see Lollipop, then it's going back to Motorola. I'm still using the N4 as the experience with Lollipop is far superior!

Last time I checked Moto website they said it would though not checked in a while :eek: I'm fairly certain it'll get it. Over on XDA there are instructions showing how to get it if you can't wait, I believe?

Not had that issue? Maybe only as it loads in (connection speed?) as you scroll down.

But the N4 is buttery on YouTube, so it would be odd if the Moto X received a lower quality signal on wifi?

The colours are also not to my taste, but I am using the amoled Moto beside the IPS N4, so hopefully with time I'll stop noticing it.

But the N4 is buttery on YouTube, so it would be odd if the Moto X received a lower quality signal on wifi?

The colours are also not to my taste, but I am using the amoled Moto beside the IPS N4, so hopefully with time I'll stop noticing it.

Colours are not good on the display, it need some tuning there way way off.

Yup! Tracking now says it arrived at Bristol Delivery Facility at 8:30, but it hasn't left yet. I'm guessing it won't leave until tomorrow now though.

Still, good to see it is nearly here! :) Sim card should arrive today/tomorrow too so should work out nicely.

My tracking:
Thursday, December 11, 2014

6 Arrived at Delivery Facility in BRISTOL - UK BRISTOL - UK 08:29

5 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 04:59

4 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 02:37

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

3 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 00:03

2 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 00:03

Monday, December 08, 2014

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 20:22
Regarding Lollipop, I don't think there is any reason to believe we will not get it. Sure, we will probably get it late, but I would be VERY surprised if we didn't see it ever.
I'm okay waiting for it though, will need to get used to stock android/moto features first anyway.

At least you thought ahead re. the sim card. I forgot I needed a nano sim which led to some very nervous cutting and filing last night (I was too impatient to sort out a new sim since it will be the weekend before I get anywhere near any shops).
All seems ok though, luckily.

Yup! Tracking now says it arrived at Bristol Delivery Facility at 8:30, but it hasn't left yet. I'm guessing it won't leave until tomorrow now though.

Still, good to see it is nearly here! :) Sim card should arrive today/tomorrow too so should work out nicely.

My tracking:
Thursday, December 11, 2014

6 Arrived at Delivery Facility in BRISTOL - UK BRISTOL - UK 08:29

5 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 04:59

4 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 02:37

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

3 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 00:03

2 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 00:03

Monday, December 08, 2014

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 20:22
Regarding Lollipop, I don't think there is any reason to believe we will not get it. Sure, we will probably get it late, but I would be VERY surprised if we didn't see it ever.
I'm okay waiting for it though, will need to get used to stock android/moto features first anyway.

It'll go out today then - mine did the same day as it arrived in the UK, around the same hour as yours.

No, I meant on mine on Three 3g. Seems fine on our wifi.

Back
Top Bottom