Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

I believe so but check over at xda. I've not bothered as my bank apps won't work or sky Go for that matter. Not that Sky Go works as yet and have to wait for the new unified sky go app.

Anyone know what the Modality Service is our whether I can disable it without any problems? Between that and Google now, my phone has a ridiculous amount of wakelocks and seems to be pinging GPS for a location every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Modality Service has to do with Moto Assist and the Driving option. I had it enabled and set to read txts to me when they arrived whilst driving (which is about all it does). I too had loads of wakelocks and GPS use so basically unchecked the driving options in Moto Assist and it did the trick. It did hurt battery consumption a little but not as much as I would have thought looking at Battery Use. I think it keeps checking GPS to see if you might be driving.

Aren't most of them here Pure? The ones off Moto Maker in UK are and suspect from Amazon etc might be? I confess I don't really know :rolleyes: but the MotoMaker ones are Pure.

The UK models are all pure models.

Ah good to hear. Thanks.
I'm going to have a hand's on my mates X today to see how much I like it. I have the Cyber Monday code burning a hole in my inbox :o

More like has anyone found a screen protector that doesn't ruin the look :rolleyes:

I've tried a couple of glass ones and a couple of the plastic film type and not been happy with any of them. The film type ones stick down the best but the glass one struggle because the glass curves to the edges. The glass ones especially lift up at the edges or should say don't stick down at the edges.

I bought an Otterbox Defender case and don't really get on with it at all. It's real grippy but that is its downfall as it's a right pain to get out of your pocket. Being rubbery it clings like a limpet and this is in roomy pockets. For my work it's ideal protection from drops and what have you.

For a fiver I gave one similar to the Otterbox on Amazon a go..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N3VHE7U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I actually prefer it though it fits easy you need a pair of tyre levers to get the damned thing off. Both cases bulk up the phone but for work they suit me and have screen protection. Apart from work the Moto goes bare. I think care is needed with this phone as a glass curving around the edges could make it vulnerable to cracking if dropped.

Love this colour

VY2o0GQ.jpg

But after handling my mates X I wasn't wowed with the package as a whole.

The leather and feel wasn't as expected. Felt like a very slippery device in the hand with it's slim sides and largish footprint. Nothing like the old X I remember.

Love this colour

But after handling my mates X I wasn't wowed with the package as a whole.

The leather and feel wasn't as expected. Felt like a very slippery device in the hand with it's slim sides and largish footprint. Nothing like the old X I remember.
If that's supposed to be the 'natural' leather...that's nothing like what it looks like in person (I'm writing this on one).

It's a very pale, verging on light orange. I sincerely hope it develops a nice patina with time, otherwise it's going be seeing some dye.

I'm pretty sure Modality Service has to do with Moto Assist and the Driving option. I had it enabled and set to read txts to me when they arrived whilst driving (which is about all it does). I too had loads of wakelocks and GPS use so basically unchecked the driving options in Moto Assist and it did the trick. It did hurt battery consumption a little but not as much as I would have thought looking at Battery Use. I think it keeps checking GPS to see if you might be driving.

You were right. I disabled the Driving option and it no longer pings gps every 5 minutes. The number of wakelocks is still massive though which I think must be down to Google Now (I've never bothered with it in the past because it used to eat the battery on my N4 whenever I used it). I'm still managing circa 4+ hrs SOT, even with all the wakelocks so I'll leave it for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom