Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

You were right. I disabled the Driving option and it no longer pings gps every 5 minutes. The number of wakelocks is still massive though which I think must be down to Google Now (I've never bothered with it in the past because it used to eat the battery on my N4 whenever I used it). I'm still managing circa 4+ hrs SOT, even with all the wakelocks so I'll leave it for the time being.

Difficult to find what the wakelocks are without rooting. Mine not so bad since I disabled the driving option - which to be honest isn't anything exciting anyway.

I've never given Google Now a try.

Battery life is good and and as you say 4 hours plus screen on time is easily doable and had over 5hours the other sunday :cool:

No Lollipop here

Not sure what the delay with Lollipop is but from previous experience, Motorola roll these OS updates out in phases and from memory with old Moto X the UK model was one of the last models to get Kitkat.

YAY :D:D Motorola have sent me notification of Lollipop update available to download :cool:

Had phone off all day today and just turned it back on and there's a system update notification. Mines an XT-1092 UK edition.

Now do I reset the phone before doing the update? Kind of tempted to do so and then reload apps and what have you.

Rightly or wrongly I updated without a factory restore. All good, no probs as yet. Couldn't be bothered to set phone up again. Apart from the visible updates my phone seems a little bit faster than it was. May be a placebo effect or just the menu transitions but it's the impression I get. Battery - it's too early to say as need to bed in and still fiddling about with new OS.

Sky Go app updated yesterday too to the new unified app (I think) and now works on Moto X '14 :cool: If I didn't know better I'd swear it was Christmas ;)

??? Just tried it. Seems easy enough to me or you just click the little X to close the window. I don't have my chrome tabs merged with the apps though - not keen on that feature.

??? Just tried it. Seems easy enough to me or you just click the little X to close the window. I don't have my chrome tabs merged with the apps though - not keen on that feature.

It's not all the time - I tend to hold it in my left hand, and have always swiped apps away using my thumb, dragging them towards my left hand. Always worked seamlessly on my N4 and this Moto X on 4.4.4.

I just need to learn to swipe away from my hand, that's all. Seems strange that it's harder (for me) on 5.0 though (both N4 and Moto X).

The only thing that has actually changed is the multitasking menu, and that's still mostly the same.

But if you don't 'muck it out' occasionally it's in danger of becoming overfilled and useless? Not so sure I don't prefer the old way .. well a little anyway. Guess I'll get used to it.

New notifications I prefer over Kitkat version. Settings mostly the same except the white theme. Actually there is a lot of the white theme which ok for me. Still feels a little slicker :) Not really dug all that deep as yet. Leastways everything I use is working which is a plus ;)

I've not linked via bluetooth to vehicle head unit to check for music playback problems but hoping that was sorted.

But if you don't 'muck it out' occasionally it's in danger of becoming overfilled and useless? Not so sure I don't prefer the old way .. well a little anyway. Guess I'll get used to it.

New notifications I prefer over Kitkat version. Settings mostly the same except the white theme. Actually there is a lot of the white theme which ok for me. Still feels a little slicker :) Not really dug all that deep as yet. Leastways everything I use is working which is a plus ;)

I've not linked via bluetooth to vehicle head unit to check for music playback problems but hoping that was sorted.

The old way was exactly the same? It's just more of a card stack now than it was

Anyone tried opening the app switcher when they know they've got nothing open? Mine keeps generating windows even after I swipe them away.

Things like camera, chrome, volume changer (an app) etc.

Just keep hitting your app switcher button and it might happen.

It's not constant, just on occasion.

I've just encrypted my phone, and the 'back' and 'home' buttons no longer work..! I've restarted the phone, but it seems like a factory reset may be needed.

Anyone else had this?

Edit: factory reset sorted it. But now I can't use the email app (which was working fine before) as there are no security certificates or something!

Last edited:
The old way was exactly the same? It's just more of a card stack now than it was

Pretty much. Infact now I've used it a little more it's probably better. I'm not sure the list would be better being cleared on a reboot but it matters not and can actually be quite handy to find your most used apps and those that aren't and in the list are easily removed.

I've just encrypted my phone, and the 'back' and 'home' buttons no longer work..! I've restarted the phone, but it seems like a factory reset may be needed.

Anyone else had this?

Edit: factory reset sorted it. But now I can't use the email app (which was working fine before) as there are no security certificates or something!

Is there no way to enable those buttons without a factory reset? Is the removal part of the security and surely there would be some way to log in and give you access? I admit I've no idea but does sound a little strange?

One 'quirk' I've noticed. When I have my EE sm in the Network signal strength meter top right has the H and H+ symbol to the left of the bars. When I put my Three sim in it has an H as part of the signal bars and doesn't seem to alter rather than a separate icon to the left? (Hope that makes some sense?)

Is there no way to enable those buttons without a factory reset? Is the removal part of the security and surely there would be some way to log in and give you access? I admit I've no idea but does sound a little strange?

One 'quirk' I've noticed. When I have my EE sm in the Network signal strength meter top right has the H and H+ symbol to the left of the bars. When I put my Three sim in it has an H as part of the signal bars and doesn't seem to alter rather than a separate icon to the left? (Hope that makes some sense?)

Don't think it is part of the security as I've factory reset and encrypted it again, and they're both now working.

The email thing is a real pain though as I now have to use the Outlook app which is crap compared to the android email one (I could use gmail but it doesn't allow for 'push' using an outlook account).

I don't quite understand your network coverage thing - I only get the network coverage bars here, with no H, H+ or 4G symbol (I'm probably in a black spot as it shows up in central London).

The network icon (H or H+) and the change with the Three sim in was a 'why the hell has that happened' :rolleyes: Anyway, doesn't matter as the Three account will close possibly tomorrow.

Typically I ported my number to the temporary EE payg sim and never bothered to give Vodafone a try as they have been pretty poor in our neck of the woods in the past. A family member turns up on Vodafone and announces he has 4G and we're out in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't believe it. Sure enough their coverage maps back it up. No one else has 4G in our area or likely too for some time.

Back
Top Bottom