Moto Z

Soldato
Whats wrong with this phone?

Carphone warehouse have got it for 300 quid with the jbl speaker mod for it at the moment but I dont understand why its not sold out

SD 820
2k screen
32gb with SD Card
Near stock android
Full aluminium casing

OK battery isnt massive and the lack of headphone socket might turn people off but i'm really struggling to not grab one to replace my aging one plus one.

Any reason not to?

Associate
I've just got myself one. I wanted a pixel xl but couldn't justify the cost. I'm really happy with mine. You have already picked up on the main draw backs of the phone besides maybe the camera quality compared to other flagships.

I'm getting around 4 hours sot with around 15% battery left. Another alternative could be the Z play which has been around £245 from the german rainforest. I tested the Z play for a couple of days and would have prefered over the Z due to the excellent battery (8 hours SOT) and headphone port but having no wifi ac and a little static noise on the headphone port made the Z play a no go for me. Testing the two side by side there was no difference performance wise between them.

One thing that really stands out for me with the Moto Z and Moto Z play is the call quality and gps performance, both are excellent.

If you are ok with the 4 hours of sot (or use the battery mod), no headphone jack and ok camera I think it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
Soldato
... Another alternative could be the Z play which has been around £245 from the german rainforest. ...
Managed to drop my ageing Nexus 6 this morning and crack the screen slightly. Very tempted by the Moto Z play but where are people seeing it for around £245 on the German rainforest? Cheapest I can see is EUR 349

Associate
It's gone back up in price now, It has dropped to EUR 279 twice over the past week so may drop back down again. You could also consider the Moto Z for £300 and sell the free jbl speaker mod for at least £40 so £260 in the end if you can be bothered.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm OK, I'd prefer the larger battery so will hold out for the play and recheck both the .de and .fr sites over the next few days.

Cheers!

Just seen it for £272 at a UK site so may go for that!

Soldato
OP
Well I picked up the z from CPW on friday after doing some research. Coming from a 2 year old one plus one it is a beauty. Cant believe how slim it is.

As said the battery life isnt brilliant but compared to my ageing opo I cant tell a massive difference in screen time in fact it might even be a little better and the fast charger more than makes up for it.

For 300 quid really cant complain at full price obviously there are a few other options out there. I do like the idea of the motomods ive used the jbl speaker a bit over the weekend and I'm hoping to pick up a battery mod for it as well.

Overall happy so far but need to spend a bit more time having a play to say for certain

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like mine might be going back.

Was playing sim city on the phone yesterday and the phone rebooted not sure why but it did. When it came back its got a big red error

"Your device has failed verification and may not work properly"

Android pay and a couple other apps now no longer work as they are failing the android security check. Sadly it doesnt look like theres a fix for this on non verizon branded phones so i'll be boxing it up and taking it back I suspect.

Soldato
I'm rueing the day i bought one of these. Looks like the last 7.1.1 update has broken wifi. I'm trying to resolve via fastboot and I'll be damned if I can get Windows 10 to detect the phone! My google fu has turned up a few options; none of which worked. Anyone have any experience getting Windows 10 to see the blinking device?!

Soldato
I'm rueing the day i bought one of these. Looks like the last 7.1.1 update has broken wifi. I'm trying to resolve via fastboot and I'll be damned if I can get Windows 10 to detect the phone! My google fu has turned up a few options; none of which worked. Anyone have any experience getting Windows 10 to see the blinking device?!

Have you made sure usb debugging is enabled in developer options?

I personally used these fastboot & google usb driver files when I had my Moto G/Nexus 6: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Soldato
Soldato
How do you get those options to appear?

I was just about to reply saying this from your earlier post, Might be daft but have you tried pulling the notification pane down when connected & changing the option from USB charging to File Transfer?

It should just pop up saying "device is charging" in the notification pane, Tap that & you'll get the options in the screenshot above.

Soldato
I was just about to reply saying this from your earlier post, Might be daft but have you tried pulling the notification pane down when connected & changing the option from USB charging to File Transfer?

It should just pop up saying "device is charging" in the notification pane, Tap that & you'll get the options in the screenshot above.
No joy; I've since rebuilt my main Win10 box and I'm in the exact same position. I'll be damned if I can work out what I'm doing wrong. Win10 doesn't detect the phone and I'll be damned If I can find any drivers which help!

Feel like throwing the thing in the bin!

Soldato
After much perseverance I've managed to get to a point where the device is detected by windows and ADB. Apparently I need to execute the command (fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin) while the device is in fastboot mode. I can see ADB recongised the device when it is in normal phone mode:
Code:
List of devices attached
ZY223HPVFD      device
However, when I restart the phone into fastboot mode, either with "adb reboot-bootloader" or manually (Volume-down and power on) and run the above command, it simply states "<waiting for the device.>"

Any ideas?

EDIT - ugh; Looks like its still a driver issue?! ADB now works but fastboot doesnt! Win10 sees this phone as a Fastboot sheridan S?!

EDIT - Managed to get it to work but the actual fix to correct the wifi didn't! So sledge hammer time. Time to sideload 8.0.0; if only I could find an official OTA firmware link!

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom