motorbike broken down, now waiting on recovery :-(

Soldato
Hay, yam fazer fzs 600 2003 stopped for a break out nr alfreton, derby,
Bike won't start, battery always on oxford maximiser at home. Recently serviced.

Went to start it, just type of clicking noise, won't start, odd, so rang carole nash my insurer, sending someone out v soon, new to biking, 1 year, and now this, hopefully nothing badn

Just keeps clicking, not in gear or anything like that, or side stand down.

Bored!

Soldato
OP
Sod that, carole nash just called said 15 mins max, I'm uneducated in these here bike things, in time I will learn.

I love my bike, treat her well, keep her clean and serviced well and this is how she repays me.

Grrr

Soldato
dead battery almost certainly, doesnt have enough current to turn the starter motor by the sounds, didnt leave the lights on or anything ? bump start it though tbh you big girl!

Soldato
I had an FZS400 which had starting problems which would regularly lead to a flat battery. The solution was to run with the big and bump start it myself and then jump on when it gets going (Think westerns)... only dropped it the once doing this method.

Maybe just wait for the recovery truck :)

Soldato
Aye, I'd just bump it to get it home, then just get the multimeter on the charge circuit. Bet its a dead reg/rec, they tend to get hot so this weather will probably kill off a weak one.

Soldato
Hay, yam fazer fzs 600 2003 stopped for a break out nr alfreton, derby,
Bike won't start, battery always on oxford maximiser at home. Recently serviced.

Went to start it, just type of clicking noise, won't start, odd, so rang carole nash my insurer, sending someone out v soon, new to biking, 1 year, and now this, hopefully nothing badn

Just keeps clicking, not in gear or anything like that, or side stand down.

Bored!

be the relay i think - if you have access to the fuse box try taking out the starter motor one and replacing it with another one

or

could be the starter motor is jammed in which case put it in gear and rock it backwards and forwards in gear then put it in neutral and try to start it. unless you've flattened the battery.

Soldato
OP
Flat battery, guy got jump leads out started straight away. he then measured the battery and says he thinks a cell is down, So i will try and source a battery for the weekend so I can ride it as he said not worth riding out and getting stuck again.

Anyone know anywhere around chesterfield for batteries, and what should I look for with bike batteries or are they all pretty much ok and not too expensive ?

Biek is always on a Oxford maximiser though at home,

strange, but at least nothing serious, i never knew about jump starting a bike,

I am so useless :(

Soldato
Flat battery, guy got jump leads out started straight away. he then measured the battery and says he thinks a cell is down, So i will try and source a battery for the weekend so I can ride it as he said not worth riding out and getting stuck again.

Anyone know anywhere around chesterfield for batteries, and what should I look for with bike batteries or are they all pretty much ok and not too expensive ?

Biek is always on a Oxford maximiser though at home,

strange, but at least nothing serious, i never knew about jump starting a bike,

I am so useless :(

Yuasa. i was away for a long time - come back, put it on the optimate and it started first time. was flat for months!

Soldato
tbh make sure you rule out the reg rec first, get a multimeter on it when its running and it should be about 14.5 volts may be slightly lower but shouldnt be any lower than 13volts if not your reg rec is dead , worth checking as a few minutes could save you £80 quid

Man of Honour
I had this and ended up stuck in middle of nowhere, turned out it was the stator coils, had totally burned / broken up.

Luckily there was AA stand near me at event so I joined up and they got me home...we pulled the headlight fuse, charged battery and I got home before ECU and other stuff drained the battery again. Lasted exactly 2hrs before the bike was dead.

I don't think bump starting always works (or works at all), if the battery is really nuked you don't have power to get the ECU / Fuel pump running, plus bumping a sports bike could be abit scary, but I'm a wuss lol

Last edited:
Soldato
This place is just down the road (ish)

No idea on prices though: http://www.countybatteryservices.co.uk/

I've used them twice for genuine Yuasa batteries. Strangely both times they initially sent a cheap own brand battery, but replaced it next day when I phoned to tell them.

Definitely worth paying for a decent quality battery - Yuasa is OEM on a lot of bikes and is very good quality even if usually twice as expensive. There are better ones still, but I'd only look at those for big twins that require extra cranking amps

Associate
My first bump start was on the morning I bought my Fazer (2003 model) off some fella. The battery was completely shot and I had been turning it off and on all morning after getting it - when it came time to go out, it wouldn't start! hehe

Bump started everything - always works (including sportsbikes.... why wouldn't you??). The car refused to bump start as the battery was so drained once though.

Back
Top Bottom