Motorbike Licenses

Permabanned
Joined
16 Dec 2003
Posts
3,376
Firstly, I have my CBT on Saturday for a moped and I was wondering say if I complete this how long is it before I am able to apply for a full motorbike license?

Also does the motorbike licenses contain a theory and pratical?

I have a provisional and on the cateogry section it says A. B F K and P

What does this mean under a provisional for the cateogry A?

Thanks
 
Soldato
Joined
25 May 2004
Posts
8,925
Location
Burton-On-Trent
If you are considering getting a full license then I wouldnt bother with a moped because as soon as you pass you can ride any bike in the world as long as you can restrict it to 33bhp :)

My 33bhp restriction ends in dec so I move onto a proper unrestricted license at 19 :cool: I was considering getting a new bike this year but figured I may as well wait for next year, I will then have 2 years NCB, 3 years road experience and a full license :) still 19 though, insurance will still be pretty horiffic!
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Oct 2004
Posts
19,893
Location
England
So after your cbt you can ride any bike as long as it isnt over 33bhp?
Once you have done that for 2 years you can ride ANY bike?
 
Soldato
Joined
31 Oct 2006
Posts
9,659
Location
Wiltshire / Winchester
lukechad said:
If you are considering getting a full license then I wouldnt bother with a moped because as soon as you pass you can ride any bike in the world as long as you can restrict it to 33bhp :)

My 33bhp restriction ends in dec so I move onto a proper unrestricted license at 19 :cool: I was considering getting a new bike this year but figured I may as well wait for next year, I will then have 2 years NCB, 3 years road experience and a full license :) still 19 though, insurance will still be pretty horiffic!

Hehe i was unrestriced on saturday :D but so far only driven 2 BMW's but damn there quick lol my SV is getting unresriced on friday :D so far i havent found the insurance to be really bad, like on some of the 600 sportsbikes around £600ish pound but im not sure if that was only TPFT :/ did it a while ago
 
Soldato
Joined
31 Oct 2006
Posts
9,659
Location
Wiltshire / Winchester
Andr3w said:
So after your cbt you can ride any bike as long as it isnt over 33bhp?
Once you have done that for 2 years you can ride ANY bike?

No once your CBT is done u can only ride a 125 with L plates, then do ** test if you are under 21 and then you can ride and bike restricted to 33bhp then after 2 years you can ride any power bike
 
Soldato
Joined
25 May 2004
Posts
8,925
Location
Burton-On-Trent
Fireskull said:
Hehe i was unrestriced on saturday :D but so far only driven 2 BMW's but damn there quick lol my SV is getting unresriced on friday :D so far i havent found the insurance to be really bad, like on some of the 600 sportsbikes around £600ish pound but im not sure if that was only TPFT :/ did it a while ago

I never had the CBR restricted in the first place! I have since ridden the bike restricted as I am still insured on the thing! I have to say its damn poor compared, hence why I am just going to wait now and ride full power legally, it wasnt much fun knowing that if I had an accident my insurance was void.
 
Soldato
Joined
31 Oct 2006
Posts
9,659
Location
Wiltshire / Winchester
lukechad said:
I never had the CBR restricted in the first place! I have since ridden the bike restricted as I am still insured on the thing! I have to say its damn poor compared, hence why I am just going to wait now and ride full power legally, it wasnt much fun knowing that if I had an accident my insurance was void.

yea i bet lol, and seeing as mine came restricted didnt want to go through the hassle of unresticting it and making it illegal etc just waited out the 2 years and will all be worth it soon :p
 
Permabanned
Joined
16 Dec 2003
Posts
3,376
Fireskull said:
No once your CBT is done u can only ride a 125 with L plates, then do ** test if you are under 21 and then you can ride and bike restricted to 33bhp then after 2 years you can ride any power bike

So if you dont do the test but turn 21 are you able to ride any bike, or do you still have to do the test?
 
Don
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
41,170
Location
Notts
I remember my Bike test back in 1983 , 3 or 4 laps round the block watched by a bloke stood on a corner, congratulations you have passed so you can now dump your AR80 for a 1000cc megabeast :eek:
 
Soldato
Joined
24 Jul 2003
Posts
3,099
Location
Brum
If you are 16, a CBT will let you ride a moped (meaning 50cc) on L plates.

If you are 17 or over and you take a CBT, you'll be given a 125 to play on and you'll be able to ride a 125 on L plates.

I think that if you do your CBT on a 50cc bike, you're stuck on 50cc. I'd suggest doing it on a 125. Also, CBT only lasts 2 years, after that you need to do another one, or take a test before then.

If you are under 21 when you take your test, you are limited to 33bhp for 2 years (even if you turn 21 in that period). After 2 years you can ride whatever you want.

If you take your test after 21 (called a Direct Access test), you can ride whatever you want.
 
Soldato
Joined
8 Sep 2005
Posts
3,684
Location
Chichester
Im 21 in march, so do you suggest i wait a couple of weeks, and take the 5 day intensive practical test, and then get a 400-600cc. Or get my CBT and a 125cc for a year before taking my test and getting a bigger bike?
 
Soldato
Joined
31 Oct 2006
Posts
9,659
Location
Wiltshire / Winchester
alexisonfire said:
Im 21 in march, so do you suggest i wait a couple of weeks, and take the 5 day intensive practical test, and then get a 400-600cc. Or get my CBT and a 125cc for a year before taking my test and getting a bigger bike?

id say still do the full test, and just get a smaller 400 or 650 like the sv or similar for a year to get experience.
 
Permabanned
Joined
16 Dec 2003
Posts
3,376
So basically once the CBT is out the way, how long would you recommend before doing the actual motorbike theories/praticals?
 

spp

spp

Associate
Joined
15 Nov 2006
Posts
550
I did my CBT, then straight away got a few weeks of lessons and then did my test. As I was under 21 at the time i had to do it all on a 125. You can hire bikes from these sorts of places, meaning you don't need to get a 125 (unless u really want one). Then once you've past, buy something between 400-600cc and restrict it for two years.
 
Soldato
Joined
31 Oct 2006
Posts
9,659
Location
Wiltshire / Winchester
Reesy said:
So basically once the CBT is out the way, how long would you recommend before doing the actual motorbike theories/praticals?

Well i did CBT and went straight n did training every sunday (but i worked weekends so sometimes there was a big gap inbetween so took me longer) and they usually tell you when you are getting good to take your theory then after that put in for the actual test, or unless you do an intensive cource you can train and if your good pass withing the week or 2 depending on your cource.
 
Top