Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Soldato
Have we had confirmation of the ROM/Firmware situation with the Moto G's from Tesco?

My 8gb has now gone to my mum as an early Xmas present, so I've just ordered a 16gb version from Tesco :)

Associate
Tesco ROM is not the same as the P4U ROM.

You can however download the unbranded ROM straight from Motorola, unlock the bootloader and install it. Unlocking the bootloader is (of course) not warranty friendly and will result in a message about it on bootup.

Soldato
Somebody over on one of the hukd threads has posted that Motorola confirmed that updates will come direct from them regardless. Time will tell.

Associate
I'm certain they will, for instance an O2 branded HTC One still gets it's updates from HTC, however that's only after O2 have dicked around with it.

Caporegime
Somebody over on one of the hukd threads has posted that Motorola confirmed that updates will come direct from them regardless. Time will tell.

lol that happens with every single phone, it's just that branded devices rely on the service provider for them to push the update to their own phones.

e.g.

Company X manufactures a new phone and sells it on to many retailers including, vodafone, o2, orange, etc, etc in May 2013 who all take the original firmware and then make their own version which relies on them to then make further custom firmwares for updates and cannot be updated by any other company without modding or doing some crazy stuff like changing serial numbers, etc.

Company X then releases a software/firmware update in June 2013 and passes it on to its resellers.

Vodafone take the update and add their own crap to it and release it in August 2013.

Orange take the update and add their own crap to it and release it in October 2013.

o2 don't bother doing anything as they don't see any reason to spend time/money updating their users as no complaints have been made about the current software.

Even though company X manufactured the phone and releases constant regular updates, different users from different providers may never even see them or take many months before it's available to them.

This is why people prefer to use Custom ROM's or mod their devices to stock firmware if possible from the manufacturer or buying the sim free unbranded version in the first place.

Having to rely on a service provider for updates in the past has proven to be a waste of time, as they usually don't even bother or take so long that they are 2-3 updates behind everyone else.

Associate
Looking for one online for my gf for Xmas, have they put the retail price up? Can't find the 8gb for less than £159. I paid £135 last week in phones4u for a sim free 8gb one. Haven't had the time to pop back instore so looking online.

Associate
No tesco bloat! I just got one for my girlfriend for £11 after all the vouchers :D:D. I got the 16gb one (£129) and bought an unlock code from ebay at £2. What a brilliant phone! I'm thinking of selling my HTC desire and get the 8gb for myself as a backup/gps for the bike phone.

Associate
Can others do me a favour and check WiFi performance on their moto g's please? Mine is shockingly poor hovering at around 2 - 3 Mbps, Whereas my nexus 7 and desire S both get around 20 Mbps from the same server and located in the same spot at home.

Just over 40meg down on wifi here on the moto g, same as my iphone 5s.

This is on a virgin media 60meg connection with my own buffalo N router.

For comparison my old HTC Sensation was just over 20meg down max on wifi.

Cheers

Soldato
That is also gash compared to the G :D

Lol I'm sure it is but seeing your initial words he decided that even though he wouldn't get the Y and still wouldn't get the G as it broke his budget, he'd looked at the g510 as one of vthe first choices and ruled that it was hardly different from the Y but seeing it compared to the G so unfavourably got him to put his hand in his fat pocket, he takes home more than me has no kids and lives in a council flat he's had for decades for less than £300p/m a 2 min walk from town, lucky git, so far loving the g510.

Soldato
Okay, so there's no visible difference of the Tesco ROM, only when you go into About Phone you see this -

2013-11-28185609_zpsf4001557.png

Paid $5 for an unlock code.

I see unlocked 16gb going for over £170 on eBay? Wth?!?!

It should also be noted, the Tesco version comes with a pink case! How cool?!?!?

2013-11-28182723_zpscf56f6cf.jpg

Associate
Whats the battery life like on this as I'm considering one to replace my Nokia Lumia 520 since its got a front camera and it also runs android so it'll have more apps.

Back
Top Bottom