1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by CAT-THE-FIFTH, 5 Nov 2013.

1. Macky

Soldato

Will go tesco then. P4u said they wouldn't be getting the 16gb.

2. Repta

Mobster

Tesco are out of stock :(. Anyone know if theres anywhere with the 16gb in stock?

3. qqg3

Soldato

Nope, don't know how Tesco have got their stock before everyone else? 16GB hasn't even gone on sale at other phone shops, Amazon etc, yet.

4. tals

Mobster

5. macster

Gangster

6. Biz.Kid09

Sgarrista

How does this compare to the Nexus 4?

I dropped my 4 and smashed the screen and for a replacement it will be about £130-140 so I am wondering if I should just buy this and a have a new toy to play with!

Thoughts?

7. Skeeter

Caporegime

Ooo, this looks good...

*no SD slot, even though they use an SD card image next to the storage capacity in the advertising images*

Oh, forget it then.

8. Rusty!

Wise Guy

Not as good, but it's not too far off.

Screen is same res, but smaller so higher PPI

Half as much RAM and a slower CPU/GPU (Snapdragon S4 Pro vs Snapdragon 400)

Also no DC-HSPA, so if you're on Three it will be worse at interwebbing.

9. Sunbed

Mobster

Are you able to say what the difference in speed may be like?

10. Rusty!

Wise Guy

Theoretical max of 42mbps on the N4, theoretical max of 21mbps on the G.

What that's like in the real world will vary depending on location, and if you're not on Three isn't likely to make a blind bit of difference.

11. Rusty!

Wise Guy

Reports are that the Tesco unit is locked

12. AndyCr15

Capodecina

DPD man gave me a pleasant surprise just now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know about it. I wasn't expecting it, but Phones4u sent me a free white shell!

13. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

I'm really tempted to get one of these actually. Got a SGS2 at the minute but thw internal memory is full so cant even update anything. Other than that I'm still pretty happy with it. Would this be a decent upgrade? Coming to the end of my 24 month contract on Three so might see what they can offer as well.

14. AndyCr15

Capodecina

If you're on a pay monthly contract, I would think you could get something better than the Moto G if I'm honest.

Alternatively, you go PAYG and buy something like this, which would probably end up a lot cheaper.

15. Dano

Sgarrista

Right, so it appears this is definitely locked to tescos, mine is due for delivery today and I am wondering if I should just return it or pay to unlock it? Being a bit uneducated when it comes to phones and the locking of them if I do unlock it either via paying tescos or a third party to do so am I left with exactly the same thing as if I had purchased a non network locked one in the first place or is there something left over that might cause issues in the future in regards to updates, factory resets, etc etc?

16. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I guess that depends on whether Tesco have dumped a load of bloat on there? If they haven't, yeah I think you're pretty much in the same position as having bought an unlocked phone.

17. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

Hey thanks for the reply. Well what I'm thinking is either just get a upgraded phone from Three with a new contract similar to what I'm on at the minute and sell the handset or go sim only. I know they'd probably offer something a better than the Moto but I dont really have any need for a super high end handset. Ideally I'm just after something which has a bigger screen and more internal memory. I'd actually happily hang onto the S2 if it had more internal storage. All these Google updates have basically left me with no space for any apps even after trying to uninstall aa much as I can and move apps that can be to the SD card!

18. Rusty!

Wise Guy

It's not branded apparently, and it looks like it can be unlocked for $9.99 which isn't bad.

19. Father Ted

Wise Guy

Noobie question coming up...

Would like to get my daughter one of these for xmas. She's on a Tesco sim only contract at the moment. If I bought her a Tesco PAYG phone I'm assuming her contract Tesco sim would work fine in it.

20. Sunbed

Mobster

You realise that the Moto G comes in 8GB and 16GB, and has no SD slot? So, this doesn't address your issue of storage space unfortunately

Last edited: 21 Nov 2013