Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Associate
Noobie question coming up...

Would like to get my daughter one of these for xmas. She's on a Tesco sim only contract at the moment. If I bought her a Tesco PAYG phone I'm assuming her contract Tesco sim would work fine in it.
Yes, but you'll have to chop it down to a micro SIM (if it isn't one already).

Soldato
You realise that the Moto G comes in 8GB and 16GB, and has no SD slot? So, this doesn't address your issue of storage space unfortunately

It's not the expandable memory that is the issue. Under device memory it only has a total space of 1.97GB and currently states only 262MB available, not enough even to update any of the very very few apps I have!:mad:

Associate
I've heard that the Moto G from Tesco comes with it's own ROM, is that correct? And, being a total newbie when it comes to phones, could someone please explain what the implications are if it does indeed come with Tesco ROM?

[EDIT] Forgot to ask... how much of the 8gb/16gb is actually available?

Last edited:
Associate
It mentions Tesco in the software version, no other indications of branding though. Probably be possible to switch to the regular ROM though.

8GB has 5.52GB usable.

Unlock costs £5.10

Associate
Picked up the 8gb one of these yesterday from phones4u. Didn't actually mean to get one, but Wednesday evening my s3 died, so I needed to get a phone pronto.

Reporting in after first 24 hours of use, I have to say I'm rather impressed for the price. My s3 was rooted and running slimbean 4.3 so the android user experience is the same, so I can draw direct comparisons.

General use - the Moto definitely feels snappier, I prefer the screen size and physical size of the phone is also a plus point, even tho I don't have small hands I never felt confident holding the s3 in one hand and operating it. The speaker is louder and the call quality also clearer.

The s3 camera is better and quicker, which didn't surprise me, but for the price the Moto g takes reasonable enough snaps.

Browsing web pages on the Moto isn't as smooth as the s3, but it's not a pain either, it just has a momentary stutter as you pinch/zoom/move around the page.

The apps like Google maps and Google now are as fluid as the s3.

Build quality of the phone is top notch, feels good in the hand and doesn't look like a cheap/budget phone. The only minor criticism would be of the power button rattles if you shake the phone, but that is minor!

Can't report on battery life as of yet, but today after 5h 8m it's at 68% (Haven't figured out how to get a screen grab :o ) of which 53% is screen.

Overall a great buy and not disappointing coming from the (now defunct) s3!

:)

Soldato
Picked up the 8gb one of these yesterday from phones4u. Didn't actually mean to get one, but Wednesday evening my s3 died, so I needed to get a phone pronto.

Reporting in after first 24 hours of use, I have to say I'm rather impressed for the price. My s3 was rooted and running slimbean 4.3 so the android user experience is the same, so I can draw direct comparisons.

General use - the Moto definitely feels snappier, I prefer the screen size and physical size of the phone is also a plus point, even tho I don't have small hands I never felt confident holding the s3 in one hand and operating it. The speaker is louder and the call quality also clearer.

The s3 camera is better and quicker, which didn't surprise me, but for the price the Moto g takes reasonable enough snaps.

Browsing web pages on the Moto isn't as smooth as the s3, but it's not a pain either, it just has a momentary stutter as you pinch/zoom/move around the page.

The apps like Google maps and Google now are as fluid as the s3.

Build quality of the phone is top notch, feels good in the hand and doesn't look like a cheap/budget phone. The only minor criticism would be of the power button rattles if you shake the phone, but that is minor!

Can't report on battery life as of yet, but today after 5h 8m it's at 68% (Haven't figured out how to get a screen grab :o ) of which 53% is screen.

Overall a great buy and not disappointing coming from the (now defunct) s3!

:)

The browsing smoothness is maybe more to do with Chrome unless you were using it on the S3 as well, because the Samsung browser though lacking features is very smooth.

Associate
The browsing smoothness is maybe more to do with Chrome unless you were using it on the S3 as well, because the Samsung browser though lacking features is very smooth.

I used the default browser that slimbean came with (stock aosp browser), I'll install that and see how it performs against chrome.

Soldato
Amazon order update regarding my 16GB delivery, now estimated between "December 14 2013 - December 17 2013"...

Thats getting real close to Christmas, why such a delay, seems a weird way of doing business.

Soldato
Well, mine is still at the local Tesco store awaiting my collection. Never did get an email telling me it was ready even though it is according to the order status. Now in two minds as to pick it up or just return it given the fact that it's locked. I know I can unlock it for next to nothing but I do have concerns regarding future android updates and I know it will annoy me immensely if I have to do any faffing around to get them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Motorola is owned by Google I imagine updates therefore should be regular and pain free. Unless you bought a custom firmware version which has been modified by the service provider therefore needing to rely on the service provider for updates

Back
Top Bottom