Motorola release first new phones since Google takeover

Associate
I hear what you're saying. It's about twice as thick as the task bar at the top but in day to day use you don't really miss that space at the bottom of the screen. It would be better if we didn't lose the space though. Shame it can't be configured like when a vid is played and it disappears? Though invisible then the buttons still work though such as a webpage might not differentiate between you interacting with the page or actually trying to use the buttons.

I use Gentle Alarm off of the Market. It has a good night display mode. With both the HTC One phones I had the button back lights would blaze away all night. There was a way of activating the night display but if you touched the phone again they would come back on. When the I loaded the Viper rom you got the option to turn the back lights off which helped though they remained off for everything else. Because the Razr i buttons are part of the display rather than physical ones they are controlled better and turn off to leave 3 dim blue dots where the on screen buttons are when night display is activated. Minor point I know :rolleyes:

On screen buttons aside. I'm still liking the Razr i. Plan was to get it while the Razr Maxx was released in the UK. Not sure I'm bothered now as the Razr i size I really like. It's a really nice mid range phone and a good alternative to the HTC One S. If you're interested in either Razr phone then the button job really is a very small issue

Associate
Have ordered mine.

My only concern is the app compatibility. Anyone experienced any of their favorite app not working?

TV Catchup app seems a little flaky. Loads OK but although there is sound there is no picture? Tried it again tonight and it worked then went back to sound and no picture. Via their website works OK? Wouldn't call it a favorite app though :rolleyes:

Soldato
Nice one Nexus

Tap to launch shortcuts is a nice touch:

Screenshot_2012-10-11-00-51-06_zps1d857236.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good! :)

Cheers dude. So many invisible widgets/shortcuts on that page you wouldn't believe it.

Invisible lock widget, typoclock (for app shortcut), 4 circle launchers. Overlappable widgets are awesome.

As usual looks better on my phone - looks almost VHS Quality up there ^^^^ :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, I wouldn't be able to remember all of that let alone, which shortcut/gesture launches what! A bit like when I started using app drawer folders, couldn't remember where certain apps where :o :p

Noa/apex swipe up and down gestures is plenty for me :D :p

Yeah it is annoying that, the way the quality is reduced :mad:

Associate
Great battery-life results for the Razr I:

Doesn't surprise me. I can go a 14 hr working day currently with the odd txt, email synching, moderate amount of calls and some browsing, Pulse newsreader and such and only use 35% of the battery. That would only be 60 to 90 minutes screen on time though as time doesn't permit longer. I was skeptical about the intel chip but so far so good :D

Associate
Nice one Nexus :)
Tap to launch shortcuts is a nice touch:

Are the Tap to launch part of the launcher? I could do with something like that to launch the odd app? Sorry not had time to read though all the XDA links above. Quite like the stock Razr i launcher for the circle widgets and the swipe right for quick settings.

Cheers..

Soldato
I'm pondering buying a Razr i today.

It isn't comparable to the GS3 spec-wise, but then it isn't price-wise either. At <£350 I think the only thing that comes close to it is the Xperia S. Does that sound like a fair comment?

I also like the non-plasticy build, and the fact that the UI doesn't feel overly customised/skinned. I must admit, I don't like Motorola's other designs though. They're kinda bulky-looking.

I'm finding it hard to ignore the intel processor though. I wish it were an ARM CPU.

Anyway - anybody want to stop me, or suggest alternatives that I might have missed for ~£350?

Soldato
Good shout kona786 - I didn't realise the GS3 could be had for under £400. I feel like I'm cheating myself out of a really great phone getting the Razr i when that's available for £50 more. I just wish I liked the S3 itself, not just it's specs. Better put my thinking hat on.

Is it possible to import a GSM Razr M?

I haven't seen any Razr M on UK websites but I'd be suprised if there wasn't some site /somewhere/ that'll ship to the UK. Mind you, I'd prefer to buy what's "properly" available here - I'd worry about warranty issues and lack of support - but I'm a wuss like that!

Associate
Wait for the S3 mini annoucement later.

I'm pondering buying a Razr i today.

It isn't comparable to the GS3 spec-wise, but then it isn't price-wise either. At <£350 I think the only thing that comes close to it is the Xperia S. Does that sound like a fair comment?

I also like the non-plasticy build, and the fact that the UI doesn't feel overly customised/skinned. I must admit, I don't like Motorola's other designs though. They're kinda bulky-looking.

I'm finding it hard to ignore the intel processor though. I wish it were an ARM CPU.

Anyway - anybody want to stop me, or suggest alternatives that I might have missed for ~£350?

Back
Top Bottom