Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
So, Stoffel has signed for McLaren in 2018 (and promptly been handed a 35 place grid penalty for his first appearance at his home grand prix). I'm not sure there's yet enough evidence to back up McLaren's claim that he's a future world champion, but equally I don't think anyone really expected anything other than him staying for another season, even though Alonso's completely bossed him.

It isn't a move to another team though, and so we'll have to wait a little longer to see where drivers are going to move to. Isn't it after the mid-season break that silly season begins in earnest? McLaren and Alonso seem to be in an odd position - few other teams on the grid either want or can afford Alonso and so there's little competition, but McLaren will be absolutely desperate to keep him from going anywhere. Resigning for McLaren on a 2+1 at a wage that has the potential to disrupt younger potential drivers like Ricciardo and Verstappen in other teams for next year perhaps?

Soldato
So, Stoffel has signed for McLaren in 2018 (and promptly been handed a 35 place grid penalty for his first appearance at his home grand prix). I'm not sure there's yet enough evidence to back up McLaren's claim that he's a future world champion, but equally I don't think anyone really expected anything other than him staying for another season, even though Alonso's completely bossed him.
While that's true, Vandoorne has certainly moved forward in recent races and actually been keeping Alonso honest at times.

Man of Honour
Anyone been at Oulton Park for the Gold Cup this weekend? Going to head over in the morning for the last day, wondered how the first 2 days have gone race wise?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Quick question, With Hamilton yet to sign for Mercedes beyond the end of 2018. Could the seat potentially go to Alonso?

But what for Hamilton? All the top teams are pretty much locked out. He's not going to downgrade his car and I think to a team, Hamilton is a better prospect that Alonso given Alonsos track record for attitude towards the team. Lewis is in a great place now and has grown a lot. Alonso is going in reverse.

Associate
I see what you are saying, however, what if the sketchy rumours of Hamilton wishing to retire were true? then there wouldn't be a need for him to join another team. I agree the odds of it happening are slim to none.

Man of Honour
why would they take alonso over hamilton.

also omg fia have gone with the flipflop on f2 cars, so i expect we will see that on f1 cars in the next few years.

Soldato
So god damn ugly. The worst thing is that it's never going to come off. They can never be seen to make the sport more dangerous, so once it's in place the only solution they have is to go with canopies.

Maybe that's their long-game. Have everyone up in arms about the halo so they're forced to implement closed cockpits with much less fuss in a 2-3 years time.

Caporegime
why would they take alonso over hamilton.

also omg fia have gone with the flipflop on f2 cars, so i expect we will see that on f1 cars in the next few years.

The Halo looks funny on that. Slightly different design. It rises up then comes down again so at the back of the drivers head it's almost at the same level as the existing bodywork and head protection. Frontal safety is improved but if anything were to come from the top, if the car were inverted for example, might not do anything.

Soldato
The Halo looks funny on that. Slightly different design. It rises up then comes down again so at the back of the drivers head it's almost at the same level as the existing bodywork and head protection. Frontal safety is improved but if anything were to come from the top, if the car were inverted for example, might not do anything.
Not so sure, looks fairly standard to me. If the car is inverted then the roll hoop should do its job.

Soldato
McLaren apparently have new sponsors lined up for next year, I wonder if RAC have been knocking on their door for the last year trying to get their logo painted on the orange car :D

Soldato
3s4LJxROnqlHwDGesmn_SONnhMFUbi_JJzQRsiRmkpE.png

So that's why he left Mclaren

Man of Honour
Enjoying the live feed of Goodwood Revival on YouTube. The race between Huff and Caine in A40's in the last race has been epic. Tail to tail, changes lap after lap, great close, safe, respectful but hard racing. Stunning to watch, superb!

Back
Top Bottom