Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Man of Honour
Instead of grid penalty fines make them hefty money fines to go into a grid support pot, then distribute that money in a descending scale to the lowest teams ranked first then to midfield teams. It's not ideal but might keep the bottom end teams in the sport.

Ideally you want to avoid them becoming reliant on essentially free money. Especially if it comes from penalties that may not happen in one season to the next.

Soldato
let engines blow up, I miss that unknowen, they are far to reliable these days, and whilst we are at it bring gravel run offs back.

cars breaking down already punish the team and driver by not scoring points.
I don't know if there's any official break downs of cost, but i imagine development pushed up by the need of reliability massively outweighs the cost of manufacture.

You cant make f1 cheap without further moving away from the technological background of f1 history.

Engines don't fail these days for very good reasons. The FE analysis that can now be performed to life a component didn't even exist in the '80s early '90s and there is only so much that you can with a test rig, endurance testing.

Caporegime
F1 will never be fair. I've given up telling myself it is in any way. So at least let the races be enjoyable. Right now they aren't as they are processional most of the time.
Think the only reason I watch f1 is if of habit and it's popular. I wish touring car was. As it's much more enjoyable. Just so rare you can talk to anyone about it. F1 is bad enough

Soldato
F1 will never be fair. I've given up telling myself it is in any way. So at least let the races be enjoyable. Right now they aren't as they are processional most of the time.
Think the only reason I watch f1 is if of habit and it's popular. I wish touring car was. As it's much more enjoyable. Just so rare you can talk to anyone about it. F1 is bad enough

Most series BOP so it's artificially close racing in that sense I understand why F1 doesn't though as it's meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport.

Associate
Pierre Gasly is being brought in to replace Kvyat from Malaysia. It isn't clear if its just for Malaysia for for more as it says the next "races".

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...yat-at-toro-rosso-for--next-grands-prix-.html

Red Bull junior driver Pierre Gasly will make his F1 race debut in Malaysia this weekend after Toro Rosso confirmed he will take Daniil Kvyat’s place alongside Carlos Sainz for the ‘next Grands Prix’.
The move, which comes amid a difficult season for Kvyat during which he has scored just four points to Sainz’s 48, will allow Toro Rosso and parent company Red Bull the chance to make a more informed decision on their 2018 driver line-up, according to team principal Franz Tost.

"Scuderia Toro Rosso was established by Red Bull to bring youngsters from its Junior Programme into Formula 1 and that's what we are doing by giving Pierre this chance,” said Tost.

“He is the next in line at Red Bull for this opportunity and he has shown that he deserves it, having taken the 2016 GP2 title and this year being very competitive in the Super Formula series in Japan. He really has a valid chance of winning the title, as he is only half a point behind the leader.

“The driver switch gives us an opportunity to make a more informed decision regarding our 2018 driver choices. For a variety of reasons, some of them due to technical problems, but others being mistakes of his own making, Daniil Kvyat has not really shown his true potential so far this year, which is why we are standing him down for the next races. This will give us the opportunity to evaluate Pierre on track during a proper race weekend."

Gasly, 21, has acted as Red Bull’s reserve driver in 2017, driving the RB13 at the post-race tests in Bahrain and Hungary. He currently lies second in the Japanese Super Formula standings with two races at Suzuka remaining, but as well as going for that crown he will also now have the chance to prove he belongs in F1.

"I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get this chance in my motor racing career and specifically, Red Bull, Dr. Helmut Marko and Scuderia Toro Rosso,” said the Frenchman.

“This is a great opportunity for me. I feel as ready as I can be, having had to be prepared for anything in my role as Red Bull Racing's third driver this year. I will do my best to perform well with Scuderia Toro Rosso during these coming races."

In a statement, Toro Rosso added that the driver switch should not be considered a permanent parting of the ways with Kvyat, saying "This is not a case of goodbye for our Daniil, as he still remains part of the Red Bull Family."

However, Toro Rosso's ambiguity over how many races Gasly will remain in the car means it is not currently known if and when Kvyat will return to the cockpit, though the fact that the Super Formula season finale takes place on the same weekend as the United States Grand Prix suggests the Russian may return for Austin.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure it will be Gasly and Kvyat next season. They're just giving him track time and don't want to drop Sainz as he's the one scoring points, or can't contractually.

Kvyat's certainly been given more chances that any other Red Bull driver, which is surprising seeing how quickly the likes of Alguersuari and Buemi were removed from F1.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
They need rid of Kvyat. His driving, performance and attitude are sub-par. About time they gave him the boot.

Could we not see someone along the lines of Kubica alongside him, maybe a Button return (poor examples I know but you what I mean)? Unlikely given the purpose of TR and the driver programme, but maybe for one season they might take a punt to at least have a chance of two drivers scoring decent points.

Then again, the potential of running a boat anchor power plant might ward off anyone who actually wants to fight and wins races anyway.

Soldato
Never thought I'd see the day FOM uploaded a full race online...
Just got to upload hundreds more now.

It's such an opportunity for them to embrace the history, romance and technological enhancements over the years.

It's a shame it's not upscaled to 720p too. I know upscaling is generally rubbish, but it would help with Youtube, as Youtube don't have anything between 720p and 480p, which is a much bigger gap that is seems in numbers.

Back
Top Bottom