Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
How much would I pay for only live? Nothing. Not around most weekend days at lunchtime as it's the best weather for outdoors hobbies.

How much would I pay for on demand?
Probably only 30 a year. And it will never be that cheap

Soldato
That would require a very chunky fibre connection that is out of reach for most of the UK. Realtime 4K compression is far less efficient than pre-recorded stuff.
But it's only available in the US right now where we have 1Gig fibre even out in the kinda rural areas :p

But yeah, I figured it'd be a bit too hefty to offer 4K streaming at the moment, it was with people saying Sky 'only' offers 720p, I thought the official F1 offering was going to be significantly better

LzR

LzR

Associate
i'm interested to see if the uk gets f1 tv (non pro version) that's none live extended highlights content of all sessions and they say available to most of the world. whats the betting not available in uk due to sky deal.
going to miss so many live stuff this year due to a new job. need on demand access. liberty media really need to never renew deals like sky again if they want to expand the sport.
Completely agree.
Taking F1 away from the masses by making it a paid service can only harm the sport, it's been free since its inception many many decades ago and now all of a sudden you have to pay, and you still can't go for a pee without missing something...

LzR

LzR

Associate
Sorry, I assumed you was in the UK.. I haven't read anywhere what the maximum resolution will be, I'm not sure they(F1) have said anything about the details - except banning VPN's to get around geo-locking.
I don't understand why (how) they would block VPNs, isn't this Sky's problem?

Caporegime
It's F1's Intellectual Property, so they will do all they can to stop people accessing it without paying.

F1’s director of digital and new business Frank Arthofer said “best-in-class content security” will be used to stop fans using VPNs to access the new service.
“We’re working with our technology partners who are yet to be named – (with the exception of Tata) – who will be part of the product to put in place best-in-class content security and protection,” he said.
“Put another way, we’ve always been aggressive in protecting our IP and will continue to do so on this service.”

Man of Honour
I don't understand why (how) they would block VPNs, isn't this Sky's problem?
its upto them to block vpns, chances are like netflix they'll just block the bg vpns. it's to hard blocking all. they could also look at computer settings for locations etc, we'll have to wait and see. as well as how you pay for it.

It's F1's Intellectual Property, so they will do all they can to stop people accessing it without paying.
using a vpn does not allow you to access stuff without paying for it.

Caporegime
its upto them to block vpns, chances are like netflix they'll just block the bg vpns. it's to hard blocking all. they could also look at computer settings for locations etc, we'll have to wait and see. as well as how you pay for it.

using a vpn does not allow you to access stuff without paying for it.
True, but it does upset companies that have paid a lot of money for exclusive access and I have no doubt it's written into contracts that all reasonable and possible steps must be taken by FOM/Liberty to prevent unauthorised broadcast/viewing in countries with an exclusive deal. Like Sky and the U.K. Next year.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
On a more sombre note - gutted at the passing of Henry Hope-Frost, long-time staff member of Autosport and commentator at Goodwood, who died in a collision on his motorbike yesterday :(

Man of Honour
OP
On a more sombre note - gutted at the passing of Henry Hope-Frost, long-time staff member of Autosport and commentator at Goodwood, who died in a collision on his motorbike yesterday :(

Yeah it's tragic, he had an unbridled enthusiasm for motorsport whether on 2 wheels or 4.

Truly appreciated his daily dose of #fever that he brought via twitter.

Back
Top Bottom